PDA

View Full Version : Looking for other Expats to go out with at weekends

rosie abroad
03-06-2011, 16:25
Hello!

I'm sure there have been countless threads such as this one but this seems like a pretty direct way for me to get my message out there.

I'm 24 and from the UK. I've been living in Moscow for nearly 3 months now teaching English privately for a family and learning Russian. I'm really interested in meeting other people to go out with over the weekend, either in the evening or at a more acceptable hour during the day time. Up for doing anything really. Going to a club or having a few drinks in the evening by the river or Gorky Park; having a coffee and walking about seeing some sights. I've done a lot of this already on my own and am really really craving having some company during my free-time travails. Consequently I've proberly decided to do this a bit too late as I'm flying home in a couple of weeks and then going straight to Spain to work over there during the summer; but I shall (hopefully) be returning in September and so any acquaintances made between now and the time I leave would be great!

I've been out in the city at the weekend twice already (wow!) and would love to just kick back and unwind with a few people. As much as I'm starting to fall for Moscow, it can get a wee bit lonely on your own.

Both girls and guys I welcome, not neccessarily looking for a date though. Tonight would be amazing as I'm itching to get out but any other time that can be arranged is also good.

Looking forward to any replies.

:fridaysign:

rosie abroad
03-06-2011, 16:27
Whoops. Typo in the heading.

franzewich
03-06-2011, 16:32
Whoops. Typo in the heading.

Don't worry: we understand "Exapats"! ;)

Have fun, I'm sure there will be people joining you! :)

rosie abroad
03-06-2011, 16:57

This is what I am hoping. Any tips on places to go that are good people meeting locations? :)

franzewich
03-06-2011, 17:09
This is what I am hoping. Any tips on places to go that are good people meeting locations? :)

Ooof, there are so many. If not the classical Kremlin and Alexandrowski Sad (with a Corona Extra and some Mexican food at La Cantina afterwards), then we usually went to Kuzminki (see my description in the other thread), Sokolniki Park (GREAT for ice skating in the winter!), WDNH (also great for inline skating!), Gorki Park (afterwards to Pancho Villa for some salsa dancing), and many more.... You just have to choose one and post in this thread! :)

Ask Kassandra, I know she is very familiar with nice places! :)

Have fun! Too bad I can't join you! Boohoohoo! :cry:

rosie abroad
03-06-2011, 17:44
Funnily enough I have read your post about Kuzniki :)

So if I go to one out of the places you suggested, for example, there's a good chance I'll meet people or a person. I've managed to do things this way before when I was travelling around Europe a couple of years ago, but then I had the advantage of staying in a hostel where everyone is there for pretty much the same reason. I walked through Gorky Park yesterday evening and it struck me as a good place to accidentally on purpose fall into a group, but I'm a little apprehensive as I don't really know what the connotations are here of the female foreigner hanging about on her own. I'm assuming it's not 'normal', like most places, but hopefully not 'bad' i.e. I don't want anybody to think I'm a prostitute; this has happened before. I know that back home in London it's not all that likely that people will welcome into their group a stranger for the evening that is just hanging around, it depends on the surroundings really, but perhaps Russians are different? Maybe I'm looking into things a bit too much but it is a bit of a niggling concern for me.

So where are you located now? By the sounds of it you no longer live in Moscow and your profile says Warsaw also.

franzewich
03-06-2011, 18:08
Funnily enough I have read your post about Kuzniki :)

So if I go to one out of the places you suggested, for example, there's a good chance I'll meet people or a person. I've managed to do things this way before when I was travelling around Europe a couple of years ago, but then I had the advantage of staying in a hostel where everyone is there for pretty much the same reason. I walked through Gorky Park yesterday evening and it struck me as a good place to accidentally on purpose fall into a group, but I'm a little apprehensive as I don't really know what the connotations are here of the female foreigner hanging about on her own. I'm assuming it's not 'normal', like most places, but hopefully not 'bad' i.e. I don't want anybody to think I'm a prostitute; this has happened before. I know that back home in London it's not all that likely that people will welcome into their group a stranger for the evening that is just hanging around, it depends on the surroundings really, but perhaps Russians are different? Maybe I'm looking into things a bit too much but it is a bit of a niggling concern for me.

So where are you located now? By the sounds of it you no longer live in Moscow and your profile says Warsaw also.

Listen, Rosie, NOBODY (except some few jerks maybe) will think bad about you if you simply post a thread encouraging to get a nice bunch of people together for a weekend afternoon walk; maybe with a pub visit afterwards. It is FUN and many will enjoy this! You just need to make a clear suggestion.

As for me, I will stay in Warsaw until end of July. I'm looking for another job assignment, but can't make up my mind whether Germany or Moscow for private reasons. Too bad; I was in Moscow last week and had a good time with some friends in the Bavarius and at Pancho Villa (Thank's guys! :wavey: ) Would love to join, and my heart is bleeding at the moment.

So, let me do it for you:

Hey Guys and Gals, who is up for a stroll through Kuzminki Park Saturday afternoon as Kassandra has confirmed so nicely? Please PM "rosie abroad"! Afterwards you go into one of the open air pubs and have a good and inoffensive chat over a couple of drinks!

So, this was about as loud as I could get! ;) Have FUN!!! :) :) :)

mrzuzzo
03-06-2011, 18:15
Softball games every Saturday at Rechnoy Vokzal. All day starting at 10. LOTS of expats out there playing.

U serious? There's a baseball field in Moscow??

xSnoofovich
03-06-2011, 18:19
U serious? There's a baseball field in Moscow??

I am pretty sure there is even a really real baseball field @ mgu ;b

http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CBQ7qB-r

Namord
03-06-2011, 18:25
I'm in a similar situation as you are, so I would like to meet you and of course as many other friendly people who might join you/us.

I am 24 y.o. and from Germany. I arrived in Moscow three weeks ago and I'm going to stay here for the next couple of years. So I'm going to be around when you return to Russia as well ;)

As I haven't had the time yet to learn Russian (except for some phrases and the letters), I am kinda lost n this big city - at least until my languages courses start in September.

mrzuzzo
03-06-2011, 18:32
The Canadian Embassy even has a team!

Do they look like this?

http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/e/ea/1204t%26p.jpg

I play for a mixed group. We have Americans, Brits, Canadians, & Russians on our team. Hell, we even have a Scotsman.
We have alot of fun out there. Last week, for example, we played the Cuban Embassy team and got crushed, but after the game we hung out with them and drank all their beer and their rum.

Wish I could play, but I'm out of Moscow for at least 50% of weekends. :(

franzewich
03-06-2011, 19:35
Guys, just a very calm suggestion: Why not simly meet Rosie tomorrow at 2 p.m. at Kuzminki Park? :)

Or ask her to join playing softball? :)

Just, please, somebody make a clear decision where and when to meet! Should not be too difficult! ;)

Wish you all most fun possible! :)

mrzuzzo
03-06-2011, 19:49
Guys, just a very calm suggestion: Why not simly meet Rosie tomorrow at 2 p.m. at Kuzminki Park? :)

By reading your posts, do you work as a promoter for the Kuzminki Park Authority?

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/10/1066/IWOL000Z/posters/smokey-bear-only-you.jpg

rosie abroad
03-06-2011, 19:57
Listen, Rosie, NOBODY (except some few jerks maybe) will think bad about you if you simply post a thread encouraging to get a nice bunch of people together for a weekend afternoon walk; maybe with a pub visit afterwards. It is FUN and many will enjoy this! You just need to make a clear suggestion.

As for me, I will stay in Warsaw until end of July. I'm looking for another job assignment, but can't make up my mind whether Germany or Moscow for private reasons. Too bad; I was in Moscow last week and had a good time with some friends in the Bavarius and at Pancho Villa (Thank's guys! :wavey: ) Would love to join, and my heart is bleeding at the moment.

You misunderstood me a little. I mean't I was a little concerned about, for example, hanging around somewhere like Gorky Park on my own in the evening with the idea of meeting people. Not concerned too much because of safety issues, more concerned about whether it would be a waste of time of not..after all no one really wants to hang out on their own on a Friday evening in this way, although saying that I have before and got over it :)

Why are you in Warsaw? Is that your 'home home'? I'm intrigued by your reasons for having to choose between Germany and Moscow as in about a year from now I will have to make this very same decision. Move to Berlin..or will I have fallen in love with Moscow too much so that I will no longer want to.

rosie abroad
03-06-2011, 20:33
Softball eh? Awww I don't know, I'm not very sporty..I'd proberly let the team down :) I'll think about it. Are there many females who join in? Where and when?

As for Kuzniki Park tomorrow I'm afraid I won't be available until at least 7:30ish in the evening and I (maybe) meeting up with a fellow Englishlady expat courtesy of this wonderful forum, so may have to give the park a miss.

How about this: I propose we get a group of us together and head out to Mayak Bar next Thursday. I suggest Mayak purely because I like the sound of it on the WaytoRussia website, if anyone has any better suggestions please feel free. Who's in?

franzewich
03-06-2011, 20:55
By reading your posts, do you work as a promoter for the Kuzminki Park Authority? ...

Hahaha - that was a good one! :thumbsup: I like that poster!

Actually, I just mentioned Kuzminki because I had suggested it before. Besides, a personal affection - there are wonderful memories! ;) It is really a very nice place! :)

franzewich
03-06-2011, 21:27
Why are you in Warsaw? Is that your 'home home'? I'm intrigued by your reasons for having to choose between Germany and Moscow as in about a year from now I will have to make this very same decision. Move to Berlin..or will I have fallen in love with Moscow too much so that I will no longer want to.

My employer sent me there because a major project in Moscow was (and still is) delayed. In my heart Moscow was (and still is) my "home". But now I have to make a decision purely based upon a private basis, which I do not want to display in this forum. I wish you all the best for your decision next year - just don't make the mistake and fall in love with somebody in Moscow when you know you have to leave; this can tear you apart! ;)

Softball eh? Awww I don't know, I'm not very sporty..I'd proberly let the team down I'll think about it. Are there many females who join in? Where and when?

C'mon! Softball is a fun game, and as I was told the guys there are always eagerly waiting for pretty girls to join (even if they don't know how to play it!). I also heard that those guys are up to more fun than just playing "softball"! ;)

Namord
03-06-2011, 22:19
How about this: I propose we get a group of us together and head out to Mayak Bar next Thursday. I suggest Mayak purely because I like the sound of it on the WaytoRussia website, if anyone has any better suggestions please feel free. Who's in?

Never been there, but I'll try to make it. When do we want to meet ?

franzewich
03-06-2011, 23:48
There is usually alot of beer involved...

Hahaha. I played for two years when I lived in the States (still have my hickory Louisville Slugger and my Wilson glove!). Since I haven't grown up with this incomprehensible game, I was, of course, terrible; especially when sober. I remember the first ritual before even touching the ball was to have a cool beer. Then we thought about warming up, but decided to make sure and had another beer. And so on ... At the end I was the best player on the field - the others were more drunk than me! ;) Funny times, I really miss them!

franzewich
03-06-2011, 23:56
Yeah, it's about the same here. It's alot of drinking with a little softball thrown in, at least for our team.

Sounds fair! ;) Rosie, go for it! :thumbsup: Meet the other guys Sunday at Kuzminki Park! :)

rosie abroad
04-06-2011, 11:29
Sounds fair! ;) Rosie, go for it! :thumbsup: Meet the other guys Sunday at Kuzminki Park! :)
I'm a bit confused. Softball is on a Saturday right? I was about to say yes I'd come along after all as it all of a sudden sounded quite appealing (maybe it was the suggestion of beer and boys :p) but Saturday's I can't do during the daytime...but what is happening a Kuzminki Park? Is it just a get-together? I maybe up for this. Possibly maybe to quote Bjork.

Megan Mcc
04-06-2011, 14:29
Hi Rosie,

I'm a 26 yr old American, and I'm traveling with a 29 year old British girl now. We're both here learning Russian, and we'll probably be going out around 9 or 10pm tonight if you'd like to join :) Not sure which bar yet though, if you have any ideas?

-Megan

Sorry. Avoid personal info in posts. By PM's only.

Firefly21
04-06-2011, 14:55
Hi I'd but up for hitting a pub or two tonight. Does anyone know if the English Pub located in Ohotny Ryad is any good?

Lady Kira
05-06-2011, 18:26
Hi,
New to this forum (joined today). And sorta new to Moscow too. Been here for 2 weeks now and will remain for at least another 2. At the moment doing totally nothing and starting to climb up the walls with boredom. Would love to meet up and go to an English, Irish or ‘something along those lines’ pub. Have been doing quite an extensive research on them today actually. As I’m not working money is a bit tight so no fancy places. Can meet any day any time pretty much. Pref not too far from metro Molodeznaja or the town centre as am a bit weary walking the streets on my own. As pointed out earlier on by Rosie, in London its normal for a girl to bum around the town on her own.

P.S.
Im a girl, 29 and bored to death

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 21:25
Guys and Girls why do you always make an appointment at bars and restaurants? It is too boring !

franzewich
05-06-2011, 21:44
Guys and Girls why do you always make an appointment at bars and restaurants? It is too boring !

WHAT???? Read my post #16! And I can't even participate! :(

It's easy to just criticize! It is up to you to step foreward with suggestions!

You don't like it - come up with something better! You are turning in circles and just complain! :)

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 21:53
Because not everyone wants to sit around your flat and watch you download video games illegally? :10806:

As i said i have not been playing video games for 3 years and i am not going to start playing. BTW There are many cool places around our district - the main places are Zapretka and the space for pentathlon

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 21:55
WHAT???? Read my post #16! And I can't even participate! :(

It's easy to just criticize! It is up to you to step foreward with suggestions!

You don't like it - come up with something better! You are turning in circles and just complain! :)

Let me kick off by making some remarks in this case

1. Snej.com
2. VDNKH

BTW it is summer places.

franzewich
05-06-2011, 22:12
Let me kick off by making some remarks in this case

1. Snej.com
2. VDNKH

BTW it is summer places.

Good start! :thumbsup:

All you need to do now is set one precise date, time, and place! Can't be at two places at the same time, can you :question:

Why do you guys need me to get get-togethers organized? It's so easy, just do it - but be precise!

Lady Kira
05-06-2011, 22:12
Chill the fire. The reason why people suggest to meet in pubs and bars is because it is easier ,especially if its with new people. What if lets say you are running late and Im waiting for you and we decided to meet in a park. I wouldn’t feel too comfortable. In a bar at least i can get a drink and I would feel safer.

franzewich
05-06-2011, 22:18
Chill the fire. The reason why people suggest to meet in pubs and bars is because it is easier ,especially if its with new people. What if lets say you are running late and Im waiting for you and we decided to meet in a park. I wouldn’t feel too comfortable. In a bar at least i can get a drink and I would feel safer.

C'mon! There's PMs, and there's mobile phones! Why are you folks so incredibly complicated? You want to go out, meet people, have fun - just DO IT! There won't be a better opportunity than this forum! :) Don't wait for others to take initiative! :)

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 22:33

Why not? At least it is better than meetings in a smoking pub with loud music.

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 22:35
Good start! :thumbsup:

All you need to do now is set one precise date, time, and place! Can't be at two places at the same time, can you :question:

Why do you guys need me to get get-togethers organized? It's so easy, just do it - but be precise!

Well .... i suggested many times to make an appointment for snowboarding (skiing) but nobody except Mrzuzzo wanted to do it.

Lady Kira
05-06-2011, 22:38
It can be a quiet bar in a non smoking area. In any case. This is a pointless debate. Each to its own

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 22:40
It can be a quiet bar in a non smoking area. In any case. This is a pointless debate. Each to its own

There are no non-smoking places in Moscow

Lady Kira
05-06-2011, 22:45
Again. Pointless debate. Change your tune please. Or pick your own spot and get people to meet you there

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 22:48
Again. Pointless debate. Change your tune please. Or pick your own spot and get people to meet you there

It is not debate at all ... but if you write smth like "Again. Pointless debate'' it will be funny indeed

Lady Kira
05-06-2011, 22:48
Ah! Actually last Friday I went to a restaurant Mari Vanna and it was a fully non smoking establishment

Lady Kira
05-06-2011, 22:50
Well, at least I’m am making you laugh. You are welcome

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 22:50
Yes there are. This was a different thread on this forum and a story in the Moscow News.

http://themoscownews.com/people/20110404/188552117.html

You make me wonder.
The main idea was that smoking is not restricted by law that is why people can smoke everywhere.

Lady Kira
05-06-2011, 22:54
But its harmful. Any establishment can come up with their own house rules. Besides its only a matter of time when it will be illegal to smoke in public buildings.

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 23:07
Did you even read the article? It lists several non smoking establishments. You said there are NO non smoking places in Moscow.

Smoking is not restricted by law in bars and restaurants so hypothetically people can smoke there.

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 23:10
But its harmful. Any establishment can come up with their own house rules. Besides its only a matter of time when it will be illegal to smoke in public buildings.

You don't understand either. There is no smoking restriction by law in bars and pubs. Hypothetically if a man made an order for 10000 rubles in a pub even being a non-smoking place this pub would become a smoking one.

Lady Kira
05-06-2011, 23:17
You don't understand either. There is no smoking restriction by law in bars and pubs. Hypothetically if a man made an order for 10000 rubles in a pub even being a non-smoking place this pub would become a smoking one.

That would depend on house rules and managers discretion but in any case you are just nit picking now. The point is that there are places where you can go and be not bothered by the smoke.

:uk:

( just cos i miss it and its cute)

FlakeySnowballer
05-06-2011, 23:18
So now you are saying everything in Moscow is for sale?

Not everything, but pubs, bars and restaurants are supposed to be for sale.

franzewich
06-06-2011, 00:07
Well .... i suggested many times to make an appointment for snowboarding (skiing) but nobody except Mrzuzzo wanted to do it.

So I hope you did go, at least with Mrzuzzo!

Btw., I also would have joined snowboarding and making an absolute fool of myself if I had been in Moscow! :) But snowboarding is not exactly my favorite spare time activity in the summer! ;) So, any other suggestions? Board sailing, paragliding, water skiing?

Willy
06-06-2011, 00:40
Well, at least I’m am making you laugh. You are welcome

You also make some of us drool.

Lady Kira
06-06-2011, 00:47
You also make some of us drool.

Ha, ha. Thank you I guess.

:11513:

Oro
06-06-2011, 05:33
A gym or martial arts school is a cool place to meet people too, i think.

EXPATRU
07-06-2011, 16:57
I'm 24 and from the UK. I've been living in Moscow for nearly 3 months now teaching English privately for a family and learning Russian. I'm really interested in meeting other people to go out with over the weekend, either in the evening or at a more acceptable hour during the day time.

I'm a 26 yr old American, and I'm traveling with a 29 year old British girl now. We're both here learning Russian, and we'll probably be going out around 9 or 10pm tonight if you'd like to join :) Not sure which bar yet though, if you have any ideas?
-Megan

Hi,
New to this forum (joined today). And sorta new to Moscow too. Been here for 2 weeks now and will remain for at least another 2. At the moment doing totally nothing and starting to climb up the walls with boredom. P.S.
Im a girl, 29 and bored to death
Hi Girls,

I’m not expat, but I’m Russian who is 28 yr old, and it would be really nice to join you. Leaning English about 3 years, now I‘m working in German company, and my level of spoken English has fallen considerably while I was looking for new job. So I would like to meet new English speaking people to pick it up and have fun at the same time. I’m not able to pm any of you, because I’m newbie and can’t pm yet.

Anya0516
25-07-2011, 10:44
Hi Rosie,
I'm Anya and I just came to Russia two days ago. I will probably be here in September or even all fall. That would be nice to meet for a walk or for a dance somewhere. you seem like a very social person:) it would be fun to meet. I lived in San Francisco 11 years. I'm originally from Moscow City. Just like you I'm looking for fun english speaking friends in Moscow.

ranetca
26-07-2011, 00:39
Guys, I'm in! I'd also like to join you!

soprty
26-07-2011, 00:56

Being dyslexic I saw nothing wrong with Exapats :)

franzewich
26-07-2011, 01:11
Being dyslexic I saw nothing wrong with Exapats :)

I didn't either!?

Grad Student 111
26-07-2011, 13:13
Hello, I've also been in town the last four weeks or so, mostly in the library. I was initially committed to avoiding English conversation, but I think we all know the way that these sorts of commitments tend to go.... Anyway, I'm from Chicago, age 27, don't know anyone in town (besides my roommate and the librarians) and wouldn't mind a chat accompanied by a walk and/or beer. If you guys are planning something, let me know...

soprty
26-07-2011, 14:07
I suggest you go to one of the following which always have some really good people hanging out:

www.boozebub.ru/ This one has quite and AWESOME bartender :)
www.shootersbar.ru

Just go to the bar, introduce youeself and let the good times begin.

ranetca
28-07-2011, 23:42
I suggest you go to one of the following which always have some really good people hanging out:

www.boozebub.ru/ This one has quite and AWESOME bartender :)
www.shootersbar.ru

Just go to the bar, introduce youeself and let the good times begin.

Nice!
Now let's decide when :)