PDA

View Full Version : Russian citizenship

MoscowBeast
20-08-2007, 09:25
Does anyone of you know what are the conditions for obtaining a Russian citizenship? Is there such a possibility anyway?

Katrine L
20-08-2007, 11:44
Yes, there is such possibility. According to Russian law you should live 5 years in the territory of Russia till you can be granted a citizenship. But there are pretty lot of firms of attorneys and other some kind of law agencies that can help you to simplify this procedure or make it shorter. But anyway it may lasts about a year.
Price of this service starts from 5000 euro per 1 passport.

Unfortunately most of them speak only Russian but you can hire an interpreter..:) :gorgeous:

MoscowBeast
20-08-2007, 12:13
Does "to live 5 years in territory of Russia" mean I have to have a permanent residency registration, or these temporary ones (one year lasting) I am getting from my company can be enough?

PS: I speak Russian well enough I hope... 2.5 years here should be enough to learn it. :)

Katrine L
21-08-2007, 02:09
Actually I don't remember all details exactly but there is a step by step system, so at first you should have some period of temporary registration (official, with all payments made), then you apply for Temporary Vid Na Zhitelstvo, and after some procedure you can be granted permanent residence. After you could apply for citizenship. Check with some firm of attorney. They could give you up to date information, because laws in Russia the same as weather in England..

.ru - , . (http://www.grajdanstvo.ru/)
Временная регистрация в Москве, прописка в Москве, московская прописка, ликвидация фирм. Гражданство РФ. Центр Правового Взаимодействия (http://www.help-centr.ru/)
:: . (http://www.asvtn.ru/add/pom.shtml)

- - (http://www.propiska.info/russ.shtml)
: (http://www.yandex.ru/yandsearch?text=%EF%EE%EB%F3%F7%E5%ED%E8%E5+%E3%F0%E0%E6%E4%E0%ED%F1%F2%E2%E0+%D0%D4)

These are not those whom I recommend, just examples from search.

21-08-2007, 09:22
Actually I don't remember all details exactly but there is a step by step system, so at first you should have some period of temporary registration (official, with all payments made), then you apply for Temporary Vid Na Zhitelstvo, and after some procedure you can be granted permanent residence. After you could apply for citizenship. Check with some firm of attorney. They could give you up to date information, because laws in Russia the same as weather in England..

Right, you must first get a residence permit. But if you are married since more than 3 years with a RF citizen, you can get the citizenship immediately after your temporary residence permit (you will get the RF citizenship under the "simplified regime"). It takes 2/3 months AFTER you have the temp. residence permit.

If you are married but less than 3 years, you must live in Russia at least one year with the residence permit, then you may apply to RF citizenship (Delay is about one year). If you aren't married well... Better to get married first :)

About companies that charge XXX euros or USD, it is just a scam, they won't do anything but "check your documents". YOU will have to go to every step (especially the medical tests....), and the time processing will MAYBE be reduced of 2 or 3 weeks, not more. In Moscow, count 3 to 6 months to receive the residence permit.

MoscowBeast
21-08-2007, 10:21
Spasibo for the answers. It seems that it is up to me to meet the one to marry and to make sure she is Russian? ;) Just to make thigs simpler.

So, it's like any other administrative thing in Russia - compicated to the "oh the hell with that!" point. I'll see if I will get into it.

Thanks again.

Clean32
21-08-2007, 10:49
guest's post is good.
al though i havent gone as far as citz, i am at the point where i can, in fact where i am thay seem to be incouraging it. from what thay have told me is just a sgin a bit of paper, go to court or see a judge ?? and its done 3-5 weeks. but then i have res and i am not in moscow.

Maxim
26-08-2007, 11:46
So, it's like any other administrative thing in Russia - compicated to the "oh the hell with that!" point. I'll see if I will get into it.I don't think getting citizenship is easier in other countries...

Without Russian wife I don't think you will be able to get it. Unless you go to agency and pay $1000 to the lawyer promising "no refuse".

Clean32
26-08-2007, 17:04
I don't think getting citizenship is easier in other countries...

Without Russian wife I don't think you will be able to get it. Unless you go to agency and pay $1000 to the lawyer promising "no refuse".

Ifact i would say getting citzenship in russia is a lot easyer than most western countries, based on what i have done to date and my understanding of what i have to do

26-08-2007, 20:16
I don't think getting citizenship is easier in other countries...

Such lawyers just lie. It was OK some years ago to get RF citizenship by bribing, it isn't today. It is possible to SPEED the reply by paying, but if the reply is NO, even with paying it will stay NO.

It is easy to know if your request will be accepted or declined: It is more easy to get the RF citizenship than the residence permit! First get the residence permit, then IF YOU MATCH THE CONDITIONS you will receive very easily the RF citizenship. And you won't need a lawyer for this!

If you do not match the conditions, no need to pay, you will be refused. If you pay a lawyer you just lose your money.

Bels
26-08-2007, 22:35
So if I am married more than three years and have just got temporary residency I can Immediately I can immediately go for citizenhip. And it will be quick easy and straightforward? I read it but I find it hard to believe. Is their any test in communicating in Russian?

Clean32
26-08-2007, 22:49
So if I am married more than three years and have just got temporary residency I can Immediately I can immediately go for citizenhip. And it will be quick easy and straightforward? I read it but I find it hard to believe. Is their any test in communicating in Russian?

As i understand it, and i am no expert on this. if you have perm rez, you already qualify for RF citz, maybe just a time thing?

but there are no added advantages except that you can work in a retail shop, and you may be liable for millitary service. Oh and you have to give up your current citz.

Russian language is not a factour, but it maybe soon, there was some talk in the press about a minim 1200 words a few months back.

26-08-2007, 22:52
Bels,

Perfectly true, and no test in Russian language. But it is recommended to at least be able to reply to basic questions...

The Duma is thinking about new rules (again!) to get the RF citizenship, that will include the knowledge of the language and of the history of Russia (at least the basis). In the same time, it will be more easy if the applicant has a kid with a Russian citizen. All should be officially decided in the next months.

26-08-2007, 22:55
but there are no added advantages except that you can work in a retail shop, and you may be liable for millitary service. Oh and you have to give up your current citz.

The biggest advantage is to become a citizen of the Russian Federation :)

People should not seek only "advantages" to get the citizenship. If you love the country and the people, .... JOIN ! :iloveyou:

Clean32
26-08-2007, 23:07
The biggest advantage is to become a citizen of the Russian Federation :)

People should not seek only "advantages" to get the citizenship. If you love the country and the people, .... JOIN ! :iloveyou:

Good point, but in reality never, i doint think the russians who love russia but live and have citizenship elsewhere did it becouse thay love where thay are.
Look at whatshisname? russian boxer living in aussie, his coments when asked the question.
Personaly i like Russia, but its much to frustrating to Love.

Bels
26-08-2007, 23:23
I think it's useful to have two passports , one Russian and one British for example. I don't think you lose your original citizenship even though Russia only recognises one nationality.

My child will have a Russian and British passport and he will never have to get a visa in either country. This should apply to me if I get citizinship. In regards to me joining the Russian Army. I have nothing to worry about as I'm 52.

Clean32
26-08-2007, 23:34
I think it's useful to have two passports , one Russian and one British for example. I don't think you lose your original citizenship even though Russia only recognises one nationality.

My child will have a Russian and British passport and he will never have to get a visa in either country. This should apply to me if I get citizinship. In regards to me joining the Russian Army. I have nothing to worry about as I'm 52.

I asume thay your child was born in russia ? like my son, there is a difrence you may need to get an english visa in your russian passport as well to beable to bord a flight ??? im not sure about that

Bels
26-08-2007, 23:38
From others experiences and including the ones who mentioned on this site, you simply use the Russian passport to pass Russian clearance, and then use the British passport for example to pass the British clearance or customs.

Yes I have my own son in Russia, plus a step son. It's a bit more difficult for the Russian step son. I would have to adopt him. Possibly in both countries. I believe it's complicated. But I will come to it when I need to reach it. I have other more important stages to get through yet.

Maxim
27-08-2007, 00:10
From others experiences and including the ones who mentioned on this site, you simply use the Russian passport to pass Russian clearance, and then use the British passport for example to pass the British clearance or customs. I don't think You will pass russian clearance without proper visas. They check visas.

Just use british passport to leave Russia and russian - to come back.

Clean32
27-08-2007, 02:16
From others experiences and including the ones who mentioned on this site, you simply use the Russian passport to pass Russian clearance, and then use the British passport for example to pass the British clearance or customs.

Yes I have my own son in Russia, plus a step son. It's a bit more difficult for the Russian step son. I would have to adopt him. Possibly in both countries. I believe it's complicated. But I will come to it when I need to reach it. I have other more important stages to get through yet.

how did you get on with the spelling in your sons passport ??

fco1922
31-08-2007, 13:51
Being naturalised a Russian citizen can affect your security clearance if you have one from an EU country. It can also make it difficult to ever obtain one or to work as a government contractor. I had my UK security clearance downgraded when I married a Russian; it took 7 years to have it fully restored and I've been told I will never been cleared to the highest levels. I know the same is true for Canada, the USA, Australia and Germany.

This is probably not a consideration to those of you contemplating naturalisation but you should at least bear such ramifications in mind.

Bels
31-08-2007, 17:13
how did you get on with the spelling in your sons passport ??

You will be sitting with the administrater when that person writes his name in Russian. My wife is a translater and will have no problem checking and correcting the spelling. We had problems with spelling and translation mistakes when we were preparing to get married. So yes check everything you are given in translation before accepting it.

My sons name can have problems William Simpson. We call him Billy. Billy becomes Beellee I imagine. That's how the Russians sound when speaking it. So in Russian my sons official name might be spelt like this Weellyam Seempson.Russians do not have the letter "I" nor the letter "H" so that is why Harry Potter is Gary Potter.

So to summarise always check the spelling before it has been stamped. As they will tell you that it is your responsibility

Clean32
31-08-2007, 18:28
You will be sitting with the administrater when that person writes his name in Russian. My wife is a translater and will have no problem checking and correcting the spelling. We had problems with spelling and translation mistakes when we were preparing to get married. So yes check everything you are given in translation before accepting it.

My sons name can have problems William Simpson. We call him Billy. Billy becomes Beellee I imagine. That's how the Russians sound when speaking it. So in Russian my sons official name might be spelt like this Weellyam Seempson.Russians do not have the letter "I" nor the letter "H" so that is why Harry Potter is Gary Potter.

So to summarise always check the spelling before it has been stamped. As they will tell you that it is your responsibility

Ok so you havent done your sons passport then! id doint matter what you write the OVIR will translate it according to there gide lines, and theres nothing you can do about it. 1000p say your sons name william will come out as Uilliam or UillJam.

Bels
31-08-2007, 19:15
Unfortunately you are right, Clean32. My wife has just confirmed it and she says their may be problems. When the two names are brought together the names must be classified as the same. For example on the booking and travelling on a return flight. We can only hope to pursuade the administrator to use the W for william for example.

Clean32
31-08-2007, 22:49
Unfortunately you are right, Clean32. My wife has just confirmed it and she says their may be problems. When the two names are brought together the names must be classified as the same. For example on the booking and travelling on a return flight. We can only hope to pursuade the administrator to use the W for william for example.

Nope that will not work ether, get both kids names on your wifes passport as well travel on that where you can. ( with what ever spelling )
secondly get you kids american passorts as well, then you need to get Visas in your kids russian passports IE american visas.

Now rember if born in russia thay are russian, no point in waveing an american passport thay will not even tuch it.

so for them to leave russia thay but do it same as all other russians regardless of the fact that thay have 2 citz.

the same with coming back thay must come back on a russian passport.

no way around it, if you try to use there american passports to exit, it has no visa no registration so thay will look like an illegal imigrant, and WILL prosses accordingly.

I fact the spelling is not a problem just make sure that the tickets are all spelt the same as in there passports.

Bels
31-08-2007, 23:04
Oh please please say British passports, I'm British :hooray:

vantru
29-10-2007, 16:00
I think the laws of naturalization are similar to other countries, well...with the russian twist :cool:

In the US of A after you marry an american it takes you 3 yrs to be a permanent resident and then you can apply for citizenship after 5 yrs that u are a resident.....
I do not see a big difference, actually seems that here is quicker....and also in the USA the only difference between a Perm Res and a Citizen is that u can go to the Army and that u have to go to Jury Duty.....Cannot hold a public office anyway since not born in the USA, unless your name is Schwarzenegger and you married a Kennedy

omarchick
30-11-2007, 17:22
can any one name a law firm which they are experts in getting russian citizenship?

finnandcork
17-12-2007, 01:02
Im married to a Russian woman, yet cannot obtain a passport because I owe the State deaprtment money....so, is there anyway to become a russian citizen without having to move there??????if not, whats the process.......i speak russian, know russian history better than russians and dont have a criminal background......any feedback will help. Thanks.:groan:

nikolaivtoroi
17-12-2007, 10:46
i SERIOUSLY doubt it, even getting it while you're in russia is a bitch

17-12-2007, 12:17
Im married to a Russian woman, yet cannot obtain a passport because I owe the State deaprtment money....so, is there anyway to become a russian citizen without having to move there??????if not, whats the process.......i speak russian, know russian history better than russians and dont have a criminal background......any feedback will help. Thanks.

If you are married more than 3 years it can be quick IF YOU LIVE IN RUSSIA. It means that you must go to Russia and apply for the residence permit (temporary is ok). Then you are considered as "living in Russia" and you get the citizenship in the "simplified order" in about 3 to 6 months.

If you are married less than 3 years it is not possible quickly as citizenship can be granted after FIVE years living in Russia *with the "vid na zhitelstvo*. This is the permanent residence permit that can be got after one year of living in Russia with the temporary permit. It means concretely 6 months to get it, plus one year to wait, plus 6 months to get the permanent permit plus 5 years to wait to apply for the RF citizenship!

So in your case it seems that the only way is to wait 3 years marriage then to get the temporary residence permit (about 6 months). During these 6 months you haven't to stay in Russia, you just have to be here to make the medical tests, to apply to the FMS and to pick up the temporary permit. meanwhile these steps you be wherever you want.

SilverBullet
31-12-2007, 11:20
Taking Russian citizenship will make you loose your native citizenship!
Very few countries allow dual citizenship. Not worth it. If you marry a Russian lady it would be better to get permanent residency instead and still maintinaing access to your native country (US/EU or what have you) for your lady and yourself. If you have children in the future it would also make a difference for them one day to choose between two citizenships. Unless you are planning a career in Russian politics or govenrment....

Bels
31-12-2007, 14:57
Taking Russian citizenship will make you loose your native citizenship!
Very few countries allow dual citizenship. Not worth it. If you marry a Russian lady it would be better to get permanent residency instead and still maintinaing access to your native country (US/EU or what have you) for your lady and yourself. If you have children in the future it would also make a difference for them one day to choose between two citizenships. Unless you are planning a career in Russian politics or govenrment....

Which countries are you talking about, the only country that I am aware of that doesn't recognise dual nationality is Russia. Eu members including Brits, no problem. Americans non problem. Use the Russian passport when you need it, and use your British passport when you need it. No problem.

Bels
31-12-2007, 15:00
I think you can vote with a Russian citizenship, but I don't think you can get any voted post as you will still be looked upon as a foreigner.

31-12-2007, 17:39
I think you can vote with a Russian citizenship, but I don't think you can get any voted post as you will still be looked upon as a foreigner.

When a non Russian gets the Russian citizenship, he is considered as a full Russian and has the same rights than native Russians: They may vote and be elected. There are special conditions for being candidate, especially the candidates must live in Russia from XX years (it depends for which elections, 5 years for the Presidential one for example).

About the double citizenship: When a non Russian applies to the RF citizenship, he must send a letter to his native country authorities saying "I declare renouncing to my [native] citizenship after I will have received the RF citizenship". This letter must be submitted to the native country authorities when the guy applies, not AFTER he receives the RF citizenship! A copy of the letter and a proof of sending must be attached to the submitted documents.

This is different when the guy gets the RF by birth for example (kids born in Russia from one Russian parent). In this case, the double citizenship is tolerated, BUT in all cases, having a double citizenship blocks you for some jobs, especially all those that touch the security agencies.

Bels
31-12-2007, 17:46
OOPS ! Ithink I'll go no further than Permanent Residency. Thank you very much. And my kid will have his dual nationality.

31-12-2007, 17:51
OOPS ! Ithink I'll go no further than Permanent Residency. Thank you very much. And my kid will have his dual nationality.

Why don't you? Wanna keep your British passport? When England will be a Russian colony, which will be the advantage? :hooray:

Bels
31-12-2007, 18:40
That's a very big if :) A coloniser becoming part of a colony :) not in my er.

Besides if I declared to my British government that I no longer longer wanted to be a British citizen, they'd probably luagh their heads off and state it's not as easy as that, and they can't take away of what you really are. And a week later I would send them a later stating I changed my mind :) or that I was under duress from the Russian government :)

They forced me to do it :( Please give me back my passport.

SilverBullet
31-12-2007, 20:50
The US will not allow an exisiting US citizen to acquiere foreign citizenship. The US allows only dual citzenship by naturalization (or birth), e.g. foreigners becoming Americans can keep their native citizenship but NOT Americans becoming Russians. If so you will loose your US citizenship. Other countries with similar regulations are Germany, Norway, etc. but Finland just allowed dual citizenship a few years ago. It is not automatic for all EU countries.

Russians obtaining a foreign passport will also loose their native citizenship, the same goes for Ukrainians as well. It is difficult to get the best of two worlds.... Be aware of that the question of dual citizenship is two fold; What does your new country accept? and what does your old country accept. To further complicate things; you might be required to be taxed in two countries regardless of where you live if there are no tax treaties between the two countries. One example is the US subject to world wide tax income system where many 3rd world countries (Africa in particular) don't have tax agreements with the US.

SilverBullet
31-12-2007, 20:55
The British Government will accept that you turn in your British passport to become Russian. I am not so sure that they will give it back to you if yopu later regret your decision. This is a serious matter, if you want to become a Russian, you have to do it 100% and not only to gain permanent residency. There are both privileges and responsibilites with a citizenship. If you are single, marry a Russian lady and get your permanet residency instead. Russian ladies are the most beautiful and the best in the world!

Bels
01-01-2008, 23:19
Britain accepts dual Nationality, and I remember old posts here of Brits and Russians having both passports. In fact come to think of it, I know of two mixed British and Russian families, and all members of that family have Russian and British families. Where you get this idea that you can quickly lose your British citizenship with no appeal of ever getting it back I don't know.

SilverBullet
05-01-2008, 12:24
Why not try to settle the moeny issue with the US State Department? Just to try to jump ship and get a Russian one instead is a serious matter. That said, if you are American you are entitled to a passport regardless of any money issues to my knowledge? Even the IRS can not prevent a citizen to get his or her passport.

SilverBullet
05-01-2008, 12:33
I would think it depends how you get your dual citizen ship. By birth, yes but if you actively seek another citizenship; e.g. being British and apply for Russian I think that is not accepted. It is the same principle in the US. The US accepts dual nationality under certain conditions but not in all cases. It is accepted when you as a foreigner become an Amercian and want to keep your old. If you are an American by birth and apply for another citizenship, you will loose your American. Short story, regarding accepting dual nationality be aware of that it doesn't cover all situations.

chrisw4849
12-01-2008, 10:49
I would like to apply for Temp Res Permit. One of requirements, listed on the UFMS web site, is sufficient proof that you have means to live here. Can anybody advise what form this should take and how much is 'sufficient'. I have my funds offshore to Russia now and have asked my bank for a statement. They say they do not do 'Apostilled'. According to my research, an Apostilled Bank Statement is quite difficult to obtain in the UK. Can I present an unApostilled Bank Statement from offshore to the Russian Authorities or do I have to have funds onshore in Russia? How much do I have to show? I have a half ownership of two apartments in Moscow - is that sufficient?

12-01-2008, 14:12
For temp. residence permit you don't need now to submit any kind of proof of financial situation. The website is probably not updated.

ANYWAY as some FMS offices CAN ask you about this, you can open a bank account IN RUSSIA, then wire or deposit funds, get a spravka from the bank that shows a nice balance and bring with your other documents to the FMS. They will look and will not take it anyway. NO need of notary, apostille etc of course as it is a Russian document.
Oh, and you perfectly may withdraw your funds immediately after you get the spravka...

(And ownership of apartment is good to be registered there :))

vantru
12-01-2008, 18:54
I know most of the messages regarding citizenship are very old but I would like to say to have a dual citizenship is not a walk in the park in any country and, with the exception of "rights by birth", you have to be married with a citizen to obtain it.
I was reading about rules to became a citizen and I was amazed how in Russia you have more rights than in the USA when you do that....uuhmmm..
According to what I read in 4-5 yrs you could became a Russian citizen, to became USA citizen it takes 8 yrs from the day you apply for a green card (well...from the day of your interview if it is approved). And...for example...Once that you are a citizen you are not allowed to run for any relevant public office, unless..of course...your name is Schwarzenegger but even him could never be the President

Interesting....

chrisw4849...if I were you I would pay very close attention to what GUEST say. I do not write much but I read a lot and so far, with the exception of few others, he is been the most accurate......I think he is or was a government official....:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin: ...maybe KGB

chrisw4849
12-01-2008, 19:19
Thank you to Guest and an evil grin to Vantru - you could be right. :bong:
Sounds like good advice to me.

M-C
12-01-2008, 20:25
To obtain russian citizenship you need to give up your citizenship of origin. You can get it back once you are Russian and if your country of origin agrees to do so (not all do).
I personally know people who removed the funds from their account and who were told that they needed to leave the money there as long as their request was being processed. I asked the central OVIR and they confirmed this. I didn't try taking the money out myself, so I can't give any first hand experience.
If you want valid information, go to the office on Pokrovka and talk to the head of department, nothing else goes.

12-01-2008, 21:00
In fact if you are married since +3 years with a RF citizen there is NO minimum time to get the RF citizenship: Get the temp. residence permit, apply for RF citizenship and in less than 6 months (really, currently about 3 months) you get it. Means that you may live in Russia only a few days, when you get the residence permit!

And to be President, you must be a RF citizen LIVING IN RUSSIA at least 5 years. Any candidates? :)

I know most of the messages regarding citizenship are very old but I would like to say to have a dual citizenship is not a walk in the park in any country and, with the exception of "rights by birth", you have to be married with a citizen to obtain it.
I was reading about rules to became a citizen and I was amazed how in Russia you have more rights than in the USA when you do that....uuhmmm..
According to what I read in 4-5 yrs you could became a Russian citizen, to became USA citizen it takes 8 yrs from the day you apply for a green card (well...from the day of your interview if it is approved). And...for example...Once that you are a citizen you are not allowed to run for any relevant public office, unless..of course...your name is Schwarzenegger but even him could never be the President

Interesting....

chrisw4849...if I were you I would pay very close attention to what GUEST say. I do not write much but I read a lot and so far, with the exception of few others, he is been the most accurate......I think he is or was a government official....:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin: ...maybe KGB

12-01-2008, 21:02
To obtain russian citizenship you need to give up your citizenship of origin. You can get it back once you are Russian and if your country of origin agrees to do so (not all do).
I personally know people who removed the funds from their account and who were told that they needed to leave the money there as long as their request was being processed. I asked the central OVIR and they confirmed this. I didn't try taking the money out myself, so I can't give any first hand experience.
If you want valid information, go to the office on Pokrovka and talk to the head of department, nothing else goes.

About funds, no attestation from any bank is now requested anymore for residence permit. And concretely, the FMS has NO power to control your bank account to see if the funds are there. Earlier, they COULD ask a new attestation after a few months, but never heard that they did so.

Anyway you are right, ask ALL relevant questions to your FMS office.

fenrir
13-01-2008, 10:29

Citizenship comes much faster in the US if the person is married to an American. I know because I went through this with my ex-wife. An experienced immigration attorney can work miracles.

And since when is being governor of the most powerful state in the country not a relevant public office? The only political position a naturalized citizen is barred from is that of President. To me, that makes sense. I don't see anything wrong with it.

vantru
13-01-2008, 17:57
Citizenship comes much faster in the US if the person is married to an American. I know because I went through this with my ex-wife. An experienced immigration attorney can work miracles.

And since when is being governor of the most powerful state in the country not a relevant public office? The only political position a naturalized citizen is barred from is that of President. To me, that makes sense. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Hi,
First of all I would like to mention that Arnold was mentioned as an exception but this was not the most important issue nor if they want to make a foreigner the president of the USA.
The main issue was how to became a citizen....once that we forget about all the exceptions that can make someone a USA citizen we are down to one very simple answer: To became a USA citizen you have to be a permanent resident for 5 yrs minimum and as you said the quickest way to get a green card is to marry a USA citizen. Now the law says:
1)After you marry your spouse has to file a petition, apply and then the 2 love birds are called in for an interview (I even discounted from the wait the time between the filing and the interview...but I want to be nice).
If they believe you, you will receive the TEMP green card in 6 months.
2) 2 years after you receive the green card your spouse has to redo the petition again (Courtesy of President Reagan in order to avoid fake marriages...before 1987 you could marry, get a green card and divorce in less than 6 months)
3) 6 months after the petition you will receive the FINAL Resident Alien Card valid 10 yrs (at least mine)
4) 5 years after the FINAL card you can apply for citizenship
5) I would also like to mention that after you apply you have to wait 12 months before they call you in for the swearing ceremony...but in my calculation I left this off 'cause I am a nice guy again.

Total wait for the all process before having a passport with an eagle on it is 8 yrs (I do not mention the last 12 months 'cause people will be so excited and time will fly)

Everything i said can be check with the INS...oppppsssss...Homeland Security and unless they make other changes I, really, cannot imagine how this process could be any faster....maybe paying a lawyer thousands of dollars but it is not a popular option.

If you were talking to the laws prior to 1987 then I am not aware of that.

Ciao and I take the opportunity to wish you a Happy 2008

fenrir
13-01-2008, 19:14
My ex and I got hitched in the 80s in Miami, a place that is packed with experienced immigration attorneys (for obvious reasons). I have been out of the US since 1999, so I do not know about the more recent changes.

vantru
13-01-2008, 19:53
Hi,

I thought so....I understand you.

I got my green card in 1987, right when the law changed, and it was a major pain in the neck. Although I have my green card since 1987 I did not want to became a citizen, I was born in Italy and I did not find any good reason to change citizenship....and now that I could have a dual citizenship I am not in the USA very often even if the only reason to get a USA citizenship is all the aggravations that you get when the time for a renewal comes.

I have been told that now the laws are getting tougher.

Cheers

ozzy74
18-01-2008, 03:57
Have been reading these posts and have a few question i wonder anyone could pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease help 8/
Want to join my fiance in moscow but not sure what is the best visa or first step to take in this situation on entering russia with the intention to live! should i apply for business visa and then when in moscow work nuts off to start the ball rolling on temp residency? I have been to russia on tourist visas before 3 times but obviously need to enter for a longer period of time now if im considering a serious relationship. Thanks.....

chrisw4849
18-01-2008, 15:43
Dear Ozzy74.
I am the worst person to ask as I have been coming to Russia since 1991 and married a Russian. I am only just getting around to getting a Temp Res Permit. I have been using ME business visas (legitimately) until now but the new rules make that impossible if I want to live with my wife on a full time basis. You can, as I understand it, apply for a temp res permit from outside Russia, however, I do not know, in your circumstances, what are your chances of getting it approved, or the time scale for a response.
Best Regards
Chrisw4849

ezik
18-01-2008, 18:20
Let's assume you go for the Temp Res (most befitting your circumstances):

I'd say: get here on a Tourist Visa or Private Visa. Beforehand, check the documents you need to take from your native country.

Then, once here, get things started: more papers, medical tests, etc, etc, etc. All in all, stay here for three months.

Then, take a nice and deserved week's break to anywhere out of Russia with your girl. However, make sure that you have another Tourist or Private invitation with you. Apply for another visa abroad, enjoy the holiday, pick up the visa, travel back to Russia.