PDA

View Full Version : Reliable Car Dealer?

schmitzkatze
29-05-2011, 15:00
Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable used car dealer located in the north-western part of Moscow (doesn't need to be within the MKAD, but close). What I'm searching for is a way how to buy a used car with an English speaking dealer while he would also take care about the administrative stuff (registration, etc.) as my Russian is well below standards required to deal with the public administration.

Thanks for any hint!

JanC
02-06-2011, 20:25
Quite a lot of car dealers on leningradskoye sch. near Sheremetyevo, but good luck on the English. We visted a couple of huge fancy looking Audi dealers, they look the part and give a european impression. Then when you try anything in english it all falls down lol... 50 people working there not one of them knew english (or german for that matter) so had to use the girlfriend to translate automotive terms she had never heard about...

mrzuzzo
03-06-2011, 15:57
Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable used car dealer located in the north-western part of Moscow (doesn't need to be within the MKAD, but close). What I'm searching for is a way how to buy a used car with an English speaking dealer while he would also take care about the administrative stuff (registration, etc.) as my Russian is well below standards required to deal with the public administration.

Thanks for any hint!

I live in the north-west. I can help you with Russian (you can buy me a beer or something). I have a car and know all the bs about registration etc.. :10518:

Hans.KK
03-06-2011, 17:14
I have a car and know all the bs about registration etc.Please tell all about it. What need to be done, what kind of demand exist to own a car in Russia, How often to pass a tech. test of the car, etc.

schmitzkatze
15-06-2011, 23:18
Quite a lot of car dealers on leningradskoye sch. near Sheremetyevo, but good luck on the English. We visted a couple of huge fancy looking Audi dealers, they look the part and give a european impression. Then when you try anything in english it all falls down lol... 50 people working there not one of them knew english (or german for that matter) so had to use the girlfriend to translate automotive terms she had never heard about...

I know the ones you refer to - and actually I want to try to avoid this girlfriend solution. As soon as mine gets involved in the selection process, my wishes someone loose their rank from 1st to 2nd position. :)

German would've been great also - anyhow, will ask a bit around locally now after my boxes are unpacked.

schmitzkatze
15-06-2011, 23:22
I live in the north-west. I can help you with Russian (you can buy me a beer or something). I have a car and know all the bs about registration etc.. :10518:

Thanks for the offer - I may come back to this. Don't get it wrong, but I'm careful trusting people i met in the internet right away. So better we have a beer before - and not after. ;) PM your phone number and we can get in touch if you really want to end up in a car-hunting weekend with hours of negotiations - that's the risk you face! :)

schmitzkatze
15-06-2011, 23:25
Please tell all about it. What need to be done, what kind of demand exist to own a car in Russia, How often to pass a tech. test of the car, etc.

I guess the needs rank as follows:
1) Money
2) Patience
3) Money
4) Relationships
5) Money
and then come the "official" requirements.
:zoom:
;)

Sorry for the non-meaningful contribution...

Ghostly Presence
17-06-2011, 10:11
I had good experience with www.bluefish.ru which is a Rolf dealership offshoot that specializes in used cars. I bought my last car from them. They list all the things that are wrong with the car (if any work on it is required) and for newer models they even give you a technical warranty. I did not find a single instance when they lied - all the things I had to fix on that car (only a couple) were the ones that were listed in the purchase contract. You can also return the car within a week or two (don't remember exactly), albeit with a fee of 5%. I doubt they speak any English but that would be the case at any dealer around Moscow, I would imagine.

Aussie1973
03-08-2011, 19:41
I was looking at Bluefish too and it seemed a reasonable option. Other posters here mentioned the price difference between them and other second hand dealers, but if there is less chance of being ripped off then this might well be worth it (it turns out I was ripped off in the end so I probably should have gone there!).

If you PM me I will try to dig up the details of another organisation that was recommended to me that will 'pose' as the buyer of a private sale car so that the owner is unaware they are selling to a foreigner until the deal is done. They also help arrange inspection before purchase. They charge a fee.

robertmf
03-08-2011, 19:45
... so had to use the girlfriend to translate automotive terms she had never heard about...

:wavey: http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=879239#post879239

:11157:

SpinaPubica
04-08-2011, 10:55

Thanks for any hint!

i higly recommend major auto. i bought two cars and sold in the past 4 years from major without any problem. They have several branches around MKAD and most probably they have english speaking dealers.
worth checking, here's the site

http://www.major-auto.ru/

good luck

Aussie1973
05-08-2011, 00:28
i higly recommend major auto. i bought two cars and sold in the past 4 years from major without any problem. They have several branches around MKAD and most probably they have english speaking dealers.
worth checking, here's the site

http://www.major-auto.ru/

good luck

I DO NOT recommend Major Auto for service. I can't say anything about sales but I had a very bad experience with their service manager (I forget which branch right now but I could easily find out).

I won't go into details here but I will say he was clearly out to rip off the unsuspecting expat, namely me.

robertmf
05-08-2011, 02:42
... was clearly out to rip off the unsuspecting expat, namely me.

I would say "reliable|honest" and "car dealer" in the same sentence is an oxymoron ... like "military intelligence" or "public safety".

:fridaysign: :tgif: