PDA

View Full Version : Matrix Revolutions

Maine Surfer
07-11-2003, 06:43
Hey anyone watched the movie yet? What do you think?

Man oh man it's quite something!!!!

Most critics have torn it to pieces here in the US, I personally loved it (I'm a die-fard fan)

enrico palazzo
07-11-2003, 06:53
Awesome!!

A lot more action and less of the "you must believe" b.s.

Interesting though, I saw it last night in Korea. When I walked up to buy tickets they were 15000won each (13.50 US) but I waited until the next show because I didn't want to sit in the front row. When we returned my Russian friend bought the tickets for 6500 won each. Go figure.

the Korean audience was absolutely SILENT throughout the showing and not one cell phone rang. In fact, the only extranneous noise in the entire 130 minutes was my Russian friend asking me to translate to him.

The Russians need a seminar on movie etiquette...

Maine Surfer
07-11-2003, 07:09
dude, what about Russians? Are they noisy while watching movies? In case it happens around me, I loudly tell people to shut the ****up, and they usually do. My wife gets very upset with me, but I being generally polite and nice, can't stand while some people disrespect others in movie theaters

Matrix was awersome, again.

Brothers Wachowski, what's next?

enrico palazzo
07-11-2003, 07:39
In the few experiences I have had in Russian movie theatres, the cell phones go off, and then the people actually HOLD A CONVERSATION right there in the theater, during the movie. There was talking all around, etc. I remember a thread on the old expat site...

Back home in LA I have told people to GET OFF THE PHONE when this happens, (usually to a few laughs) but I have restrained myself in the kino.

Conversely, when I saw Deep Purple in Moscow last year, I had to get out of my seat and go to the aisle just so I could move around. The audience there was STONE COLD.

enrico palazzo
07-11-2003, 07:42
did you know that the lady who played the oracle died after the 1st movie was filmed. that is why she was different in revolutions and was simply a repeat of her footage in the 2nd.

after the 3rd, I'll never look at rain the same way again...

machine
07-11-2003, 10:44
Originally posted by Maine Surfer
dude, what about Russians? Are they noisy while watching movies? In case it happens around me, I loudly tell people to shut the **** up, and they usually do. My wife gets very upset with me, but I being generally polite and nice, can't stand while some people disrespect others in movie theaters

Matrix was awersome, again.

Brothers Wachowski, what's next?

You'll be very disappointed here. No-*******-body turns their cells off. Absolutely ridiculous and very annoying.:mad:

moscowmail
07-11-2003, 10:56
Keep the language clean please guys

Allenson
07-11-2003, 20:35
Well what can I say - yes the Russians were noisy in the theatre last night - mostly because the Russian dubbed translation had some pretty hilarious (perhaps unintentional) meanings.

In all I was entertained, but let's face it - the second and third films don't even come close to what the first did - it combined a great story with extraordinary effects and introduced some new concepts - 2 & 3 were just muddled explanations with too many effects.

The Neo as Christ-figure in the third got way too carried away, making it just embarassing - I found it almost insulting - it's like they are saying - man we were way to subtle about this earlier and the audience isn't getting it - so lets take it to the extreme so the dumbf**ks understand that Neo is actually Jesus!

Worth a view - but rewatching the first Matrix gives you more bang for the buck :p

Intourist
08-11-2003, 17:45
Originally posted by enrico palazzo
Awesome!!

A lot more action and less of the "you must believe" b.s.

Enrico, but that's what the whole first Matrix was all about. It was a B-Movie style techie/action flick on the surface but beneath that so much more, ripe with literary and historical references/allusions and subtler meanings on existence, technology, perception, taxes, etc.

The critics ripped the Wachowski brothers "a new one" because the sequels were Hollywood action, simple, techie-geek, storyline man-against-the-machine, no brainers, totally void of the symbolism so deeply inter-twined in the first one (watch the original sometime paying attention only to how sunglasses are used and worn by different characters).

They sold out for a huge paycheck with the sequels and simply continued the surface plot from the first one (Heck, for a few hundred mill, I'd probably do the same thing, но сейчас мы не об этом).

The problem, I think, with the sequels is that the Wachowskis were asked to continue a plot that had already reached it's natural conclusion. Neo, in essence, with his Christ like resurrection (from a "Trinity") returned as a saviour for all mankind. What's left to tell ? I mean, it's kind of akin to watching a Superman flick where Sup has no vulnerability (krypton). He'd just win all the time.

Anyway, I'll go see it anyway just because I'm a mindless hollywood drone, but I think the critics were more or less justified in their negative reviews.

What do you all think ?

Braders
08-11-2003, 18:09
Short Review..

Haven't seen the Third yet, but i didn't enjoy the second as much as the first.

I think the film fails because it's slowly turning into something resembling Aliens 3.

The first included reality as we know it and the films appeal was the fact that it made people think, what if?.... now 90% of the film has nothing to do with our reality and is nearly entirely based on the fight for Zion, with laser guns and crap like that.

I would have preferred Neo and his cronies interacting more with us mortals and less of the spaceship scenario.

Maine Surfer
09-11-2003, 07:49
I don't look at the two parts as matrix 2 and 3. It's obviously one movie cut in the middle and shown at different times. I think the brothers have done excellent job making Matrix Reloaded-Revolutions. I can't wait untill Revolutions comes out on video, so I watch them back to back

Reloaded-Revolutions' plot developes quite well in the begining, intensifies with a few twists and sub-story lines closer to the middle (where Reloaded ends), has some straight-line story element towards the end (Revolutions), and climaxes at the very end. Still has MUST BELIEVE stuff, and it's one of its stronger sides.
Awersome.

Although I'm a big fan, it would be rather dissapointing if the brothers attempt making another installment. I caught a hint of it at the very end of Revolutions when the architect tells the oracle "Peace for now, but how long do you think this peace will last?" Therefore, another war, 3 more movies. I hope they don't do it.

toka1111
09-11-2003, 10:56
Matrix 1 was obviously the best, then M3 - tolerable and M2 - horrid... and yes, I agree, the Wachovskis are better stop now... :D

Tintin
10-11-2003, 11:51
Thoroughly enjoyed Revolutions despite the banal dialogue. As an an original action sci-fi flick it is really entertaining.

I think it is easy to be disappointed by the two sequels as they never had a chance of matching the wow factor of the first. Just enjoy them for what they are.

Our mobile ring count was quite high - 4 rings. 1 answered! They just don't get it, do they?

jules
10-11-2003, 17:13
Haven't seen M3 yet (but hope to soon!) :cool: However, on the kino-etiquette issue, I have to say that I'm not terribly impressed here. A couple of times at the American Cinema I've been annoyed by people (invariably young men in expensive jackets) with the headphones hanging around their necks and the volume turned all the way up - presumably so they can hear both languages at once, but irritating to anyone not wearing headphones in their vicinity. :mad: There's also the mobile phone thing - "Well, everyone should turn their phone off in theatres, but I'm way too important to miss any calls, so I'll leave mine on..." :rolleyes: but that's been covered here... ;)

lochnessmonster
11-11-2003, 10:19
Jules, I have to agree completely about the headphones thing. My polite tut-tutting doesn't have the desire effect, but the one time I turned around and grimaced at the guy with the headphones on full volume, he sort of got the message and put them on!!

Don't know about Neo as the Christ figure, don't remember him wearing wraparound shades or using a Nokia phone.

Or a Samsung!!

I think he reminds me of Bananaman, or Batfink, two classic British kids' cartoons.

Of course, seeing Trinity do her super-duper slow-motion crane kick makes the whole film, as the other fight scens in Revolutions are pretty lame compared to the first film (eg the sparring programme with Neo and Morpheus)

Well I suppose I'll get the lot on DVD now, but I'm NOT going to be tempted by any Director's Cut nonsense.

Enjoy

Sadie
11-11-2003, 12:34
went to see Matrix just to make sure it was over;)
cool stuff, though somebody should tell Morpheus to stop eating that much.. horrible, he looks like a huge hamster..:eek: :)

Creep
11-11-2003, 15:21
I watched this film... Not so good as Matrix -1 was...
Now it is just stupid action like low-level Hong-Kong films.

Sadie
11-11-2003, 15:32
if you let me not to argue with you, i must agree and say that i watch these parts II, III etc. like a comedy, for instance James Bond has become really hilarious, matrix - its hilarious itself, just dunno..
though i like kianu riws alot, he's unbelievably hot.. yummmmm:D :cool:

Creep
11-11-2003, 15:42
Originally posted by Sadie
if you let me not to argue with you, i must agree and say that i watch these parts II, III etc. like a comedy, for instance James Bond has become really hilarious, matrix - its hilarious itself, just dunno..
though i like kianu riws alot, he's unbelievably hot.. yummmmm:D :cool:

I agree. Black comedy ;) Johnny Mnemonic, Speed amd Devils Advokate ;)) i love too ;)

Maine Surfer
11-11-2003, 17:54
Morpheus should definetly stop eating ! :D

enrico palazzo
13-11-2003, 19:15
So, I guess I just liked M3 as it was --an audio visual feast. I didn't mean to belittle the symbolisms of M1, but to me, it got a little overbearing. I recall their ongoing search for the all powerful oracle and thinking to myself as they finally reached (it), "watch, they're going to walk in on some grandmother making cookies or something." Otherwise, M1 was pretty unbelievable.

A billion dollars doesn't lie.

Stella
27-11-2003, 09:10
Enrico Palazzo says in Naked Gun during the National Anthem,

"buncha bombs flying."

enrico palazzo
27-11-2003, 15:20
Hey, look. It's enrico palazzo!

Sun_rise
28-11-2003, 23:39
Matrix....I wish they left it with a first part only, the rest two have no plot, no meaning of what's so ever,,,very disapointing indeed....doesn't make any sense at all

lochnessmonster
29-11-2003, 20:40
I'm just skimming over this thread and...Sadie...'what?...HUGE Hamster ?? Where did HAMSTER come from?
Well it sounded funny to me, guess you have to be there when we read it...