View Full Version : American's wife refused tourist visa??

26-05-2011, 22:04
Is it really possible? I have been living and working in Moscow, and I was dating my wife for about two years before we got married at ZAGS in April. She applied for a tourist visa to come and visit the US with me, and was denied!

Now I am trying to push through the bureaucracy in the Consulate (nonresponsiveness, etc) ... but I would like to hear from any Americans living with their spouse in Russia, and how they travel to the US?

Anyone had a similar issue?

26-05-2011, 22:31
I've been married (twice!) in Russia, and both guys got American visas without any problems. It is strange indeed. Maybe they are worried that she will illegally immigrate and want you apply for the fiancee visa or whatever it is. I do know one case when a girl was refused a visa (though she wasn't married to anyone) and she contacted the embassy, sent emails, etc. etc. and they changed their minds. It seems these cases involving visas/green cards/documents in general are so case specific and there's little logic to it, often.

26-05-2011, 22:33
"the USA" understands that it is quite strange your wife (the wife of the american citizen) requires just a tourist temp. visa.

They are sure, she is going to stay in the USA forever.

I heard about such kind of cases.

27-05-2011, 00:22
She'll need to reapply for the visa and supply more documents to convince the consular officer that she have stronger ties to Russia such as house, car, job or family. The consular officer might had a bad day so maybe she'll have better luck with different officer in a good mood.

27-05-2011, 01:54
taking into account her status i don't think that tourist visa is a good option. i think you need to apply for more approprite visa type (see below). Might be a good idea if you visit an emabssy in person and discuss your case in more details with officers

If you are an American citizen you have two ways to bring your foreign spouse (husband or wife) to the United States to live. They are

Immigrant visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1) - An immigrant Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130 is required.
Nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) - It is important to note that application for the nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) who married a U.S. citizen must be filed and the visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place. After the visa process has been completed, and the visa is issued, the spouse can travel to the United States to wait for the processing of the immigrant visa case. Two petitions are required:
Petition for Alien Relative, Form 1-130; and
Petition for Alien FiancÚ (e), Form I-129F

29-05-2011, 23:46
Thanks to those who gave feedback. She was refused because theofficer said he couldn't be sure that she would use the visa correctly.

You know what is funny, in a twisted way? If I am living in Moscow, I can not bring her on an IR-1 visa (immigrant visa). This is because the sponsor (me) has to have domicile in the US. Yes, it is true.

I had a consultation with a lawyer who lived here for 12 years and specialized in visa issues of all kinds. He confirmed to reapply for a tourist visa. Now I am waiting for the consulate to reply to my email ... I would like specific advise but all I can get is standard answers "reapply with more docs". I need to know what specifically should be different. I am sure that the main variable was the mood of the guy doing the interview that day!

30-05-2011, 04:49
Really it's strange. Why should you apply for an immigrant visa if you seriously plan just to visit? And the immigrant visa will likely require a lot more effort than necessary, if you just want to visit for a week or two. Ironically it is just so easy to get a tourist visa if you aren't officially married to someone. Almost everyone I know in Moscow has gotten a US tourist visa in the last 2 years.

30-05-2011, 07:51
It's best for your wife to apply on her own behalf without you. If the consular officer see that she's married to an American and it is a good reason for her to immigrate to US because she have closer ties to you. It's best that she gets a letter from her employer stating that she works at the company, salary, her position, years at the company and when she'll return to work. Be sure her employer stamps the paper so it'll be genuine.

Also she'll need a sponsor letter from your friend or family in US stating that they'll support her medically and financially while she visit there.

If your wife have a house or car... get a copy of the deed or title stating that she owns the house, car, etc.

If she have a kid from previous marriage, she'll need a copy of kid's birth certificate.

It's best to have all docs translated to English since not all consular officers are fluent in Russian. That can make a big difference.

Actually, K-3 Spouse visa is easy to get and you do not need to have domicile in US. You can rent an apartment, use your friend's or parent's home address. You can worry about this later when both of you are ready to move to US.

I think it has more to do with the consular's mood because he interviews many applicants and by the day's end he can be in a foul mood because some applicants gave him a hard time. The best time is to make an early appointment... not later in the day.

My Ukrainian wife got 5 years US visa and US Embassy knows she's married to an American. I heard many others are in similar situation without any problems. She just need to supply more documents or photos as a proof she have a good reason to return to Russia.

Best of luck.

26-06-2011, 21:12
Me and my Ukrainian wife left Russia 3 years ago to the states for my sons birth. She was given a green card and now we are back living in Moscow and it's been a He'll of an ordeal trying to get a tourist visa for her ( as she can't keep her green card since we are living here). I'd have her write a letter with her intentions and also a letter refusing a green card if you don't plan to live in the US.