PDA

View Full Version : Visa

Jay1
14-08-2007, 13:34
Hi, my business visa ends says stay until 27.08.07 simple question, but do I have until midnight on the 27th or do I have to be out of Russia by midnight 26th?

Thanks in advance.

Digenis Akritas
14-08-2007, 13:54
You have until midnight on the 27th to have crossed the border and be out of the Russian Federation.

I had an issue a few years back where my train left Moscow before the expiration of my visa, but I didn't cross the border until a few hours passed then. Of course, the border guards gave me a hard time and demanded a huge fine.

Essentially, think of it this way: You cannot spend even a minute in Russia on a date past the one on your visa.

Jay1
14-08-2007, 14:11
Thanks very much for the information.
I just thought I better check as I once shared a train carriage with a women from Riga, we got to the Russia border at 10pm, but her visa didn't 'start' till midnight... I took ten minutes of begging and pleading for the border control to agree not to dump her on the platform and wait for the next train to come past in three hours.

tchez
17-08-2007, 09:26
It really depends on which country's border you cross on. I have always had some degree of trouble on the Estonian and Latvian borders, but never one single problem on the Finish border. Several of my friends have crossed just a few hours after their visa had expired, and there was no hassles or fines. One of them crossed with no migration card (he had lost it one week before) and again no problems.