PDA

View Full Version : Are you an expat or a Russian?

Ljubovaina
14-08-2007, 13:05
Want to know more of our community: the percentage of expats and Russians.

Margo
14-08-2007, 14:41
Don't you feel disappointed, dear Expats :wavey:

TjRjn
14-08-2007, 17:20
No, because it's good to get opinions from many and varied sources.

Benedikt
14-08-2007, 19:18
being 16 years here in Russia,wife/kid/cat/dog/own flat i don't consider myself an expat.and never was.
i don't (and never had) all these privileges, big flat /house, 10000 $ a month salary,4 flights a year back home, relocating expenses, kids going to expensive 'foreign' school, etc. all these things tha APPARENTLY make an expat an expat?

WilliamFTH
14-08-2007, 20:44
being 16 years here in Russia,wife/kid/cat/dog/own flat i don't consider myself an expat.and never was.
i don't (and never had) all these privileges, big flat /house, 10000 $ a month salary,4 flights a year back home, relocating expenses, kids going to expensive 'foreign' school, etc. all these things tha APPARENTLY make an expat an expat?
The word expiate is over rated actually…I have been working most of my life oversea and you are right we do not get this kind of package now days as more and more international company is trying to localize their operation for cost saving and it is much effective with local people securing contract and managing a local operated company.

Generally, most foreigner worker are consider expat depending how you look at it ofcos the senior management people do get a better package, especially American but even that their package is lower compare to before.

What important, at least for me is the opportunity to experience a different culture for free and that is already a motivation.

Margo
14-08-2007, 21:22
whom do you prefer to be - expats, locals just originated from other countries. Any other possibilities?

katiar
14-08-2007, 21:49
I wanna be the half-blood prince.

TjRjn
15-08-2007, 00:00
I've never had all those things but I still consider myself and ex-pat because I haven't lived in my country of birth ane where I grew up for several years. If I'm not an ex-pat what am I?

WilliamFTH
15-08-2007, 07:34
whom do you prefer to be - expats, locals just originated from other countries. Any other possibilities?
Interesting question but I dun think anyone can give a logical answer, for me I prefer to be with those I love but then again my profession give me the opportunity to see the world……..so, its all depending on what a person want during that time period.

WilliamFTH
15-08-2007, 07:37
I've never had all those things but I still consider myself and ex-pat because I haven't lived in my country of birth ane where I grew up for several years. If I'm not an ex-pat what am I?
Expat is only a term created to be differentiated as a higher working class but now days…it is over rated as said. I do use the term as that is a common term use by many but most expat now days do not enjoy those benefits anymore…

And yes…….you can call yourself an expat….

Ljubovaina
15-08-2007, 12:39
Now I see I should have put this in other words - do you feel yourself expat or Russian?

WilliamFTH
15-08-2007, 17:46
Now I see I should have put this in other words - do you feel yourself expat or Russian?
Hehehe….Cute….

The again, how do you define or claim one self as Local or Expat?

An expat will always an expat as he or she is not a citizen of Russia and A Russian will always be a Russian as long he or she lived and works locally.

TjRjn
18-08-2007, 12:25
Gee, thanks! :D

Ljubovaina
20-08-2007, 16:53
It is interesting to observe - since Peter I's time there was an influx of highly qualified professionals from Europe - mostly from Germany and Holland. Those people served well for Russia some stayed for dozens of years, naturalized...I guess most of them felt themselves Russians in the end:hooray:

Bels
20-08-2007, 21:10
Expat is only a term created to be differentiated as a higher working class but now days…it is over rated as said. I do use the term as that is a common term use by many but most expat now days do not enjoy those benefits anymore…

And yes…….you can call yourself an expat….

I totally disagree, I live in Russia and I'm poor with a Russian wife and two children. An expat is a person who lives in another country of which is not of his country of origin.

WilliamFTH
21-08-2007, 10:16
I totally disagree, I live in Russia and I'm poor with a Russian wife and two children. An expat is a person who lives in another country of which is not of his country of origin.
Well not necessary an expat is rich, many of them only enjoy the allowance when they are posted and depending whether they are good in saving money.

I knew some expat that have no money cos, they spend all their money in bars and high society life style when they are posted. The allowance is not as good as before now days as a lot more company is looking into localizing their operation for cost reason. More and more local talents is available with capabilities to handle the job with better efficiency.

Some Expat are taking up such job for the reason to explore and experience a different culture with lower package, just like me.

So not all expat are equal and sometime expat make lesser money then expected tats why I said expat is over rated.

Len Ganley Stance
21-08-2007, 17:27

Spot on Bels, that is absolutely correct .

The description has become for want of a better expression b*stardized.

This is from the Chambers Dictionary -

Expatriate adj 1 living abroad, especially for a long but limited period. 2 exiled. noun a person living or working abroad. verb 1 to banish or exile. 2 to deprive someone of citizenship. expatriation noun.

As I'm a Irish, I guess I'm not an Expat but an ExPaddy :drink:.