PDA

View Full Version : Lyudmila Ulitskaya: why I'm not afraid of Vladimir Putin

FJT
20-04-2011, 00:09
Lyudmila Ulitskaya has shown she is not afraid to take on the Kremlin over jailed oligarch Mikhail Khodorkovsky or the right to freedom of expression

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/17/lyudmila-ulitskaya-dissident-putin-interview

AndreyS
20-04-2011, 00:15
Lyudmila Ulitskaya has shown she is not afraid to take on the Kremlin over jailed oligarch Mikhail Khodorkovsky or the right to freedom of expression

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/17/lyudmila-ulitskaya-dissident-putin-interview
Hi, FJT! It's her personal option - be afraid or not afraid, support Khod. or not.
Why do you think Ulitskaya is a star of our hearts and minds?

Viola
20-04-2011, 00:18
I believe she was well paid for this interview.

AndreyS
20-04-2011, 00:21
I believe she was well paid for this interview.
I didn't even bother to read the interview. ;-)

Viola
20-04-2011, 00:25
I read first several lines, was enough for me :rolleyes:

Russian Lad
02-05-2011, 23:58
Why do you think Ulitskaya is a star of our hearts and minds?

Well, where are your hearts and minds, then? With Mr. Putin? If not, where are they?

AndreyS
03-05-2011, 00:36
Well, where are your hearts and minds, then? With Mr. Putin?
Yes.

tvadim133
03-05-2011, 01:02
For me Ulitskaya is a very talanted writer, who has her opinion about Khodorkovsky's case, trial and she can be respected for this (though mine, as an example, is different fro hers).

She clearly said:

"He spent a lot of money on education, setting up children's homes, giving schools the latest computer equipment. My support for Khodorkovsky primarily lies in how much money he spent on charitable enterprises".

Actually many artists can say the same and support him because of this fact and they have rights of doing that.

AndreyS
03-05-2011, 01:22
For me Ulitskaya is a very talanted writer, who has her opinion about Khodorkovsky's case, trial and she can be respected for this (though mine, as an example, is different fro hers).

She clearly said:

"He spent a lot of money on education, setting up children's homes, giving schools the latest computer equipment. My support for Khodorkovsky primarily lies in how much money he spent on charitable enterprises".

Actually many artists can say the same and support him because of this fact and they have rights of doing that.
And she even doesn't care where the money comes from? And how much? And whether were taxes paid?
Very short-sighted her attitude is, to say the least.

Russian Lad
03-05-2011, 02:11
Andrey, what FSB department do you work at? In this country Putin is adored only by old babushkas/by some of the uneducated rank and file, maybe by some entrepreneurs, by top managers and by FSB employees. Almost everybody elses' hearts and minds seem to be elsewhere... Everyone else, who has read even a few books in his life, realizes pretty well that this regime will collapse like a house of cards as soon as the oil prices drop to 30-40 dollars and stay there for like half a year.

Korotky Gennady
04-05-2011, 15:41

I am sorry ? :)))

What do these a//ses in Gardian know about russian life ?

ezik
04-05-2011, 17:34
Well, it's Ulitskaya commenting on Russian life, so the ladies and gentlemen at The Guardian wouldn't have to know much about the subject.

Most international newspapers have journalists living and working here. They could very well know a thing or two about Russian life.

kharaku
04-05-2011, 23:14

Problem is Hodorhovsky was doing more than exercising his right to free speech when he lied about his finances and tried to put control of most of Russia's oil into foreign hands.

kharaku
04-05-2011, 23:16
Andrey, what FSB department do you work at? In this country Putin is adored only by old babushkas/by some of the uneducated rank and file, maybe by some entrepreneurs, by top managers and by FSB employees. Almost everybody elses' hearts and minds seem to be elsewhere... Everyone else, who has read even a few books in his life, realizes pretty well that this regime will collapse like a house of cards as soon as the oil prices drop to 30-40 dollars and stay there for like half a year.

given the long list you mentioned who is 'everybody else' and what are they doing that matters?

AndreyS
04-05-2011, 23:47
No, I don't work for FSB. Yes, I could look a bit old-fashioned, if you like.
I am old (49), a relic of Soviet epoch.
Yes, it could collapse like a house of cards due to low oil prices. It almost happened several times in the 1970s-1990s, but I hope our country will survive...
Putin is a figure, he looks able to control the country. Who else? I don't see anybody.
If you tell me your opinion about other figures, I will think about it. Cherrs.

kharaku
05-05-2011, 00:04
No, I don't work for FSB. Yes, I could look a bit old-fashioned, if you like.
I am old (49), a relic of Soviet epoch.
Yes, it could collapse like a house of cards due to low oil prices. It almost happened several times in the 1970s-1990s, but I hope our country will survive...
Putin is a figure, he looks able to control the country. Who else? I don't see anybody.

Honestly I don't think Medvedev would be all that bad if Putin suddenly had a heart attack and died.

Viola
05-05-2011, 00:09
Honestly I don't think Medvedev would be all that bad if Putin suddenly had a heart attack and died.

Sorry to destroy your hopes but he will not, he is in great shape :D

http://for-ua.com/files/08_2009/lov2.jpg

tvadim133
05-05-2011, 01:10
And she even doesn't care where the money comes from? And how much? And whether were taxes paid?
Very short-sighted her attitude is, to say the least.

She does not care indeed.

But why should I care, how money had be earned by a person, in case this person invests this money to orphans' education or other support, for example.

Money does not smell in this case (I am a bit cynic indeed).

All Money are sh...t untill they are used as fertilizer to smth good.

As for taxes, are you sure that your taxes are not directed to someone's rich-already pocket?

P.S. I do not defend Khodorkovsky, because I "knew" his business from a dirty side, but those who really knew him from a good one, his good activities and they were supported, helped, can (may and even must) defend them ... it is a question of their decency.

:)

Korotky Gennady
06-05-2011, 16:58
I heard he once beat up Chuck Norris...

It looks like pink pig on the river side... :))))

Korotky Gennady
06-05-2011, 17:35
I heard he eats bears for breakfast

Rather he does acorns for it... :))

Russian Lad
06-05-2011, 20:22

Like a typical Russian, you look at personalities and believe they are important, whereas ideologies are more important than personalities. Do you think Putin and Medvedev decide for themselves? They are a part of a big system called FSB, so you basically have FSB ruling the country, in cahoots with oligarchs. Believe me, Putin looks special only on TV.
Hard to find a really good one, nowadays, I agree. But that is only because most of the parties are not in the open, the public does not see their activities. We should be starting from that point. Unfortunately, we will be getting there only through violence. The momentum was lost in the beginning of the nineties.

AndreyS
06-05-2011, 22:07
What you say about personalities and their role looks like a Westerner's view. It completely applies to the US, almost all their presidents were figureheads, puppets. With Obama being a perfect example. I wouldn't say the same about Russia. Of course, our leaders are parts of the system, but for sure its leading parts. I mean many of our leaders had great innfluence on the system. You know whom I mean, some of them were really influential, if not say powerful. They changed the system substantially...
Now some say about Putin's epoch - doesn't that mean he did smth? I said in my previous post he is able to control the country. Including FSB, military and all the like. I think this is really inportant for the country's integrity and viability. Yes, I think Putin is able to make decisions and even more importantly to enforce them into life. Never seen him in person. On TV yes they can look differently, not like in real life...
But in some critical situations when quick decisions are needed we can see them in real life albeit on a TV screen. It happens from time to time and we see who does what.

Like a typical Russian, you look at personalities and believe they are important, whereas ideologies are more important than personalities. Do you think Putin and Medvedev decide for themselves? They are a part of a big system called FSB, so you basically have FSB ruling the country, in cahoots with oligarchs. Believe me, Putin looks special only on TV.
Hard to find a really good one, nowadays, I agree. But that is only because most of the parties are not in the open, the public does not see their activities. We should be starting from that point. Unfortunately, we will be getting there only through violence. The momentum was lost in the beginning of the nineties.

Russian Lad
06-05-2011, 22:33
What you say about personalities and their role looks like a Westerner's view. It completely applies to the US, almost all their presidents were figureheads, puppets. With Obama being a perfect example. I wouldn't say the same about Russia. Of course, our leaders are parts of the system, but for sure its leading parts. I mean many of our leaders had great innfluence on the system. You know whom I mean, some of them were really influential, if not say powerful. They changed the system substantially...

Putin's administration just got into a lucky streak with high oil prices, that's all.
Again, you show how much you believe in one personality, most Russians do, it is on their genetic level. In real life and real politics, including in Russia, one person may mean a lot if you have a dictatorship, like under Stalin, or if you come to head an empire with its strict rules, like under Gorbachev. Right now it is not the case, so Putin just represents certain interests, including his own. He is not alone at the healm of this sinking ship, you just don't see most of the rowers.

AndreyS
06-05-2011, 23:13
I deleted my answer.
I think no need to keep it going. We understand each other's views.

Russian Lad
07-05-2011, 00:04
Hope nobody stormed into your apartment and made you delete the message at gunpoint, they can do it, you know:) Department K and others are watching sites like that:)
Well, according to some Western analytics, Russia needs around 50 million people to maintain its economy at its current level, so we are in a situation when we have around 90 million excessive people here. Redundant to the West and to our oligarchs, that is, a burden everyone wants to get rid of. That's why we have very cheap vodka and very cheap cigarettes, for example. That materinsky kapital project is just a smokescreen. If we do not realize it in time and do not stand up for our rights, then the plans of Hitler regarding Russia will seem as a humanitarian intervention plan compared to what is being done right now. Unfortunately, most Russians are blind at the moment.
There was a nice demotivator about conspiracy theorists, I will try to find it.

yeah, this one:
http://de.trinixy.ru/pics4/20090724/demotivators_42.jpg

Russian Lad
07-05-2011, 00:14
That one is my favorite, probably it deserves a separate thread, try it:
http://i1.i.ua/prikol/thumb/3/4/336443.jpg

Korotky Gennady
07-05-2011, 02:48

Is naked Medvedev somewhere not far ? :question:

Korotky Gennady
07-05-2011, 03:01
He is very sexy dancer.

Korotky Gennady
07-05-2011, 03:07
If Putin and Medvedev are so close to each other, they need one woman for them two.

Korotky Gennady
07-05-2011, 14:10
I heard Putin invented woman.

And we all know who this woman is. :))))