PDA

View Full Version : Hello all!

snow&music
13-08-2007, 15:01
Hi,

just joined the site, so saying a big 'hello' and expecting it to fall into a void. :) I'm an English guy, I've been in Moscow since Feb. I speak a bit of Russian, well, I managed to hold a 10 minute chat with some madman the other day, so I'm not totally hopeless. :)

I'm working out here, but studying Russian in my spare time. My big loves are snowboarding, and music. I play guitar, b**** drums and piano in decreasing order of skill, and usually finish the winter with some kind of bone or muscle injury. :)

Anyway, 'hello' all, hopefully I can finally meet a few people, as working here is driving me crazy at the mo, only so much fun from the 9-8 grind!

Clue
14-08-2007, 13:07
Hi! Is it really a problem to meet people?

Ljubovaina
14-08-2007, 13:36
Hi!
I can chat with you Russian in exchange to piano lesson!
I am fond of mountain skiing:wavey:

snow&music
14-08-2007, 13:55
Clue, I'm trying to meet people who have no connection whatsoever with work :)

snow&music
14-08-2007, 13:59
Ljubovaina, sadly I need Russian lessons and piano lessons, so the best I could teach you on the piano at the moment would be the 'duh-de-duh-de-deeeeeeeer' theme from 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind', or the bassline from 'Riders on the Storm' by the Doors. :)

Not that great a deal :) Thanks for the offer though! :)

Margo
14-08-2007, 14:37
May be there is such person you are looking for - english music teacher.
What do you do in summer when even in Russia there is no snow to snowbord?
I'm a mountain skier actually :), we tend to be antagonists on the slopes :p

Len Ganley Stance
14-08-2007, 14:38

You shouldn't have too much trouble meeting people on here who fit that criteria. This is the best place to find the work shy and bone idol.

Just kidding folks :).

Anyway welcome to the Forum

snow&music
14-08-2007, 15:19
May be there is such person you are looking for - english music teacher.
What do you do in summer when even in Russia there is no snow to snowbord?
I'm a mountain skier actually :), we tend to be antagonists on the slopes :p

Thanks Margo,it would be great if the perfect teacher-combination existed!

In summer at the moment it seems I tend to hang out in the city. I did try to get out to a lake at the weekend, which was a great idea, until I hit the самая большая пробка в мире! :) ета жизнь!

Hopefully the karmic balance between skiers and boarders can be improved, there is enough mountain for everyone :)

Ljubovaina
15-08-2007, 12:29
Hey Snow!
I do not know even basics of piano, so the only theme you know can be of a great help to me!

kris
16-08-2007, 03:36
Hi! Welcome&ENJOY!!!

snow&music
16-08-2007, 10:27
Hey Snow!
I do not know even basics of piano, so the only theme you know can be of a great help to me!

If you really want to know I'll write it out for you :) This could be your first step on your way to musical stardom! :)

(assuming you can achive musical stardom in Russia through the clever fusion of the 'Riders on the Storm' bassline, and the 'duh-de-duh-de-deeeer' theme from Close Encounters of the Third Kind! :) )

tzaritsa
16-08-2007, 14:35
Hi,

just joined the site, so saying a big 'hello' and expecting it to fall into a void. :) I'm an English guy, I've been in Moscow since Feb. I speak a bit of Russian, well, I managed to hold a 10 minute chat with some madman the other day, so I'm not totally hopeless. :)

I'm working out here, but studying Russian in my spare time. My big loves are snowboarding, and music. I play guitar, b**** drums and piano in decreasing order of skill, and usually finish the winter with some kind of bone or muscle injury. :)

Anyway, 'hello' all, hopefully I can finally meet a few people, as working here is driving me crazy at the mo, only so much fun from the 9-8 grind!

Hello! You are welcome!
Unfortunatelly,I`m afraid of snowboarding and don`t play guitar,b****drums and pieno:).But I speak really good Russian!(Because I`m native Russian):)

WilliamFTH
16-08-2007, 22:18
Welcom.....

Celtica
17-08-2007, 13:56
Hey, I also like music, play piano, some guitar and know russian well )) As for snowboarding I have a friend who is keen on it so she probably could tell you what places are worth riding ))

Judge
17-08-2007, 14:04
Snow, i see you're a snowboard fan, i have a good mate here(yankie) who is well into his snowboarding,if you need any help,like best places here in the winter let me know and i'll ask my mate.

snow&music
17-08-2007, 14:11
Hey, I also like music, play piano, some guitar and know russian well )) As for snowboarding I have a friend who is keen on it so she probably could tell you what places are worth riding ))

:) Cheers! If you have chance to ask your friend about any good hills around here it would be great!

How's your guitar playing? have you been playing long?

snow&music
17-08-2007, 14:13
Snow, i see you're a snowboard fan, i have a good mate here(yankie) who is well into his snowboarding,if you need any help,like best places here in the winter let me know and i'll ask my mate.

Judge, that'd be great, thanks. Any help would be cool, or he knows anyone who goes riding much around here it would be great.

I have a brief trip out to a small hill somewhere in the North (I think) of town in Feb. It actually wasn't that bad. Good lifts, decent snow, so not bad to practice on. :)

Ecehan
17-08-2007, 14:19
Firstly welcome!

where do you learn Russian in Moscow?

Celtica
17-08-2007, 14:22
:) Cheers! If you have chance to ask your friend about any good hills around here it would be great!

How's your guitar playing? have you been playing long?

No, prob. I'll ask her asap ) Anyway you have time until winter ))

I actually haven't played guitar for a while (just got bored and didn't see any progress) but in the past I played in a band. It was lame though )) As for piano I still play keyboards sometimes and even was invited by a danish band to play with them in Moscow but got scared :D

snow&music
17-08-2007, 14:36
Firstly welcome!

where do you learn Russian in Moscow?

Hi Ecehan!

At the moment I haven't found a teacher. All my books are still somewhere in transit. I may try the place seawater suggested, as it looks cool. I'll be here for a while, so I'd really like to get to fluency if possible! :) (the impossible dream.... :D )

snow&music
17-08-2007, 14:44
No, prob. I'll ask her asap ) Anyway you have time until winter ))

I actually haven't played guitar for a while (just got bored and didn't see any progress) but in the past I played in a band. It was lame though )) As for piano I still play keyboards sometimes and even was invited by a danish band to play with them in Moscow but got scared :D

Yep, it can be tough to learn at first! The first bands I played in were ultra lame :) My favourite was the band with no instruments, where I was the only person who actually had the instrument they claimed to play, I like to consider that one as an abstract arthouse project! The proper musical highlight was when I was in a band which supported New Order, and That Petrol Emotion. :)

Sadly I joined the band after they had done that, and just before they split up! :D

Always good fun to play live though, even if your band is awful :)

That said, I was asked to join a band a while back, and went to see them live, they were ok, until they pulled a weird rock version of 'The Phantom of The Opera' by Andrew Lloyd Webber out of the bag, it was terrifyingly bad :D :)

Wish I'd joined them now though, could have been fun to avoid the glasses/eggs/rotten tomatos being hurled at me :)

Celtica
17-08-2007, 15:29
Hahah, I'm wondering what other members of the arthouse project were doing while you was playing ) it could turn into cool underground project ))

New Order is a big band shame you didn't have chance to support them.

How did they distort 'The Phantom of The Opera'? I guess singing was horrible? ) or it was bad in general? )) maybe it's much cooler to hurl tomatoes than avoid them )))

Clue
17-08-2007, 16:26
Good! That's us!

snow&music
17-08-2007, 17:15
Hahah, I'm wondering what other members of the arthouse project were doing while you was playing ) it could turn into cool underground project ))

New Order is a big band shame you didn't have chance to support them.

How did they distort 'The Phantom of The Opera'? I guess singing was horrible? ) or it was bad in general? )) maybe it's much cooler to hurl tomatoes than avoid them )))

There were two other guys, one just sort of staggered about, он был немношка как Колабок, so he was ideal for that role. He was technically the singer, but with no microphone. Then we had a bass player, with no b**** who just sat about looking moody with greasy hair. We never managed to recruit a drummer with no drums, so that job fell to the drum machine, which we didn't have. :)

I did manage to write one song with these guys, but sadly the guitar part turned out to be exactly the same as 'Vicious' by Lou Reed. Damn, Lou Reed must have travelled into the future, overheard us, then travelled back and stolen my ideas. Where the hell is a 'no win-no fee' lawyer when I need one! :)

Agree, it's bad news that I joined the other band after they supported New Order, particularly as they all had instruments. :) At the time I was living in Manchester (New Order's home city), so it was a major gig. Luckily I had the chance to sell Peter Hook (New Order's bass player) some lights a year or so later, when I worked in a furniture store, so all was not lost. :)

The Phantom of the Opera cover was unbelievable, the band were 'normal' for the rest of the set, then at the climax of the show the singer's girlfriend joined in to sing on 'Phantom'. It sounded like a million cats being drowned in a giant steel drum. None of the rest of the band ever said anything, as the singer was too 'sensitive' about it, and he owned the p.a. system (so replacing him was impossible!)

Agree with you, choosing which end of the tomato to be on is critical, and in this case maybe not too difficult! :D

Who were the Danish band? did you miss the chance to be covered in tomatos too? :)

Celtica
18-08-2007, 00:21
There were two other guys, one just sort of staggered about, он был немношка как Колабок, so he was ideal for that role. He was technically the singer, but with no microphone. Then we had a bass player, with no b**** who just sat about looking moody with greasy hair. We never managed to recruit a drummer with no drums, so that job fell to the drum machine, which we didn't have. :)

I did manage to write one song with these guys, but sadly the guitar part turned out to be exactly the same as 'Vicious' by Lou Reed. Damn, Lou Reed must have travelled into the future, overheard us, then travelled back and stolen my ideas. Where the hell is a 'no win-no fee' lawyer when I need one! :)

Agree, it's bad news that I joined the other band after they supported New Order, particularly as they all had instruments. :) At the time I was living in Manchester (New Order's home city), so it was a major gig. Luckily I had the chance to sell Peter Hook (New Order's bass player) some lights a year or so later, when I worked in a furniture store, so all was not lost. :)

The Phantom of the Opera cover was unbelievable, the band were 'normal' for the rest of the set, then at the climax of the show the singer's girlfriend joined in to sing on 'Phantom'. It sounded like a million cats being drowned in a giant steel drum. None of the rest of the band ever said anything, as the singer was too 'sensitive' about it, and he owned the p.a. system (so replacing him was impossible!)

Agree with you, choosing which end of the tomato to be on is critical, and in this case maybe not too difficult! :D

Who were the Danish band? did you miss the chance to be covered in tomatos too? :)

You are right, I missed my chance to avoid tomatoes and bottles of beer )) or maybe not avoid :D If serious it was big responsibility. The band is one of my favourite and I didn't want to ruin their reputation like that )) The band is called Saturnus. I'm friends with their guitarist and singer.

Do you practice playing guitar here in Russia?