PDA

View Full Version : AussieinMoscow is in the Hot Seat

AstarD
12-04-2011, 13:15
AussieinMoscow has kindly agreed to answer your questions this week.

Aussie,

If you were on a desert island with three other people, who would they be?

Besides food and water, what absolute essentials would you need to live happily there?

How do you feel about France banning the burqua and niquab?

AussieinMoscow
12-04-2011, 14:14
Thanks AstarD!

If I was on a desert island with three other people I would want my sister, my best friend and Robbie Williams.... I'm sure if we were stuck on a desert island I could convince him that I am a much more suitable partner than his wife :p

Essentials to be happy on said desert island, would be a cocktail bar (which somehow magically never ran out of supplies), a few good books and some fabulous music. Ok, these aren't really essentials but they would keep me happy!

France banning the Burqua and niquab is ok with me.
I understand why some people are upset and against it, but I think that if you move to a new country you need to change your ways to fit into that society.
If I went to the middle east I would dress appropriately for what is expected in that country. I think it should go both ways.

Thanks for the questions!

xSnoofovich
12-04-2011, 15:14
Thanks AstarD!

If I was on a desert island with three other people I would want my sister, my best friend and Robbie Williams.... I'm sure if we were stuck on a desert island I could convince him that I am a much more suitable partner than his wife :p

!

That sounds like a pretty good deal for him as well, a three-some with two hot sisters, (I don't know you, but I'll just pretend you are both blonde) and a third girl thrown into the mix (I'll just pretend she has dark hair), and a never ending supply of alcohol.

xSnoofovich
12-04-2011, 15:40
What part of OZ are you from?
Do you have a heavy Ozzie accent?
Do you follow Aussie footie?
What do you miss the most about being down under?
Do you like kangaroos?

xSnoofovich
12-04-2011, 15:41
Do you have a husband or children?
Do Russian guys interest you?
What is different between here and there?
How long have you been here?

AndreyS
12-04-2011, 16:13
Sarah, pls don't forget to answer Pres. xSnoofovich's last question - whether you distrust fish with mustaches, I mean.

AndreyS
12-04-2011, 16:21
Have you ever been to Uluru?

Have you ever met Russell Coight with all his paraphernalia? Where?

AussieinMoscow
12-04-2011, 19:38
xsnoofovich, you have my desert island a bit wrong. I have black hair, my sister has red hair (and she is 14), plus my best friend is a gay guy. Sorry to burst your bubble dear.

What part of OZ are you from?
I grew up in a small country town in northern NSW. Though I consider home to be Brisbane now.
Do you have a heavy Ozzie accent?
No, no one ever guesses that I'm Australian, but they don't know what my accent sounds like either. I can put on a very heavy aussie accent but normally, I just sound like, well, me.
Do you follow Aussie footie?
The only football I really get behind is the state of origin or my local footy team in my home town.
What do you miss the most about being down under?
I miss friendly Aussies, and just being able to chat to random strangers about anything and everything. I miss my family a lot too.
Do you like kangaroos?
I do like kangaroos. We often raised orphan joeys when I was little. My Auntie still has a joey with her most of the time. My favourite Australian animal is probably the Echidna though. They are so darn cute!
Do you have a husband or children?
Nope, no husband and no children. Though my mum is nagging me with "when will I get my grandkids?"
Do Russian guys interest you?
I was seeing a Russian guy for a little while, but generally I'm not particularly fussed on Russian guys. Although they are much more gentlemen like then Aussie men, who think not picking your nose in public is being a gentleman.
What is different between here and there?
The main difference, that is constantly on my mind is the weather. God I miss the sun! We don't have snow in the part of Australia where I'm from too. The people are very different. I think that has a lot to do with Russia's history, Australia is such a young country compared to the rest of the world. We haven't been withered down by communism and corruption, which, I think, works in our favor.
How long have you been here?
I've been here for about 15 months now. I am leaving Moscow next month though.

Do you consider Paul Hogan a national treasure?
Not so much a national treasure. He did well to get Australia known internationally, to show the world what we are about. Not so much that we all carry knives around and live in the bush, but our general outlook on life. He gave us a good name.

Sarah, pls don't forget to answer Pres. xSnoofovich's last question - whether you distrust fish with mustaches, I mean.
I would be very suspicious of a fish with a moustache! :11721:
Have you ever been to Uluru?
Not yet, but it is on the to-do-list. I'm very keen to go to Uluru and travel through the Northern territory and go over to Darwin.
Have you ever met Russell Coight with all his paraphernalia? Where?
No, I haven't met him. I love his show though.

xSnoofovich
12-04-2011, 19:46
xsnoofovich, you have my desert island a bit wrong. I have black hair, my sister has red hair (and she is 14), plus my best friend is a gay guy. Sorry to burst your bubble dear.

That is ok, that makes it even more spicey, plus I think I heard that Robbie swings both ways, and I guess your sister can make the drinks.... ;b

xSnoofovich
12-04-2011, 19:52
If you are leaving next month, where are you going?

Why are you leaving?
What is on your to-do-list before you go?

AussieinMoscow
12-04-2011, 20:06
If you are leaving next month, where are you going?
Why are you leaving?

I'm going home. The university course I want to do is not going to take new enrolments next year so I have to start this coming semester, which put a bit of a damper on my travel plans.

What is on your to-do-list before you go?

I have done everything I wanted to do, except I didn't get to go to St Petersburg. I intend to come back for a visit in a couple of years and I'll go up there then.

AstarD
13-04-2011, 13:14
Aussie,

Have you "gone native" in any way?

What do you think you'll miss most about Moscow when you're back in Brisbane?

AussieinMoscow
13-04-2011, 14:25
Aussie,

Have you "gone native" in any way?

What do you think you'll miss most about Moscow when you're back in Brisbane?

I drink a lot of vodka :mml: If that counts as going "native"?
I do feel like a local in some ways. I know most of my neighbours and everyone says hello to me and usually says something with reference to a kangaroo.

I'll miss so many things about Moscow. My Russian family and the little community I live in have been a huge part of my life here and I will dearly miss everyone.
This might sound odd, but I'll miss the bus drivers and taxi drivers that drive me from the metro to my suburb. Most of them know my name and go out of their way to be nice to me and in general provide me with endless entertainment on the short journey home.

I will miss how huge this city is, when I go home Brisbane feels so tiny.
I will also really miss the metro. Riding the metro is like a mini adventure, you never know what you will see and who you will meet!

FlakeySnowballer
14-04-2011, 11:29
Considering you are from Australia i should ask you if you are a surfer fan or not?

AussieinMoscow
14-04-2011, 13:13
Considering you are from Australia i should ask you if you are a surfer fan or not?

Hi Flakey,
I can't surf, I've tried once and definitely spent more time in the water then one my board. Though I do like it, It would be amazing to actually be able to do it.
So yes, I'm a fan.
Thanks!

xSnoofovich
14-04-2011, 13:29
Do you live with your host family?
If so, have they provided you with a computer, or do you use your own?
Do you speak Russian?
What sort of food would be found in your fridge?
What is a normal day entail?
Why Russia?

Darya Alexandrovna
14-04-2011, 13:34
Hey, Assie!
Tell us how many broken hearts will you leave in Moscow when you go?
What are your favourite place to hang out in Mcw?
What the funniest story ever happened to you here?

:focus:

AussieinMoscow
14-04-2011, 14:13
Do you live with your host family?
If so, have they provided you with a computer, or do you use your own?
Do you speak Russian?
What sort of food would be found in your fridge?
What is a normal day entail?
Why Russia?

I do live with my host family. They have been absolutely wonderful and have really made me feel a part of their family.
I bought my MacBook from Australia although the family would have provided me with a computer if I needed one.

I don't speak Russian. I can read it and I understand a fair bit when it is spoken and I can say the basics, but thats about it.

I've never had my own fridge, so my designated shelf in the fridge would usually have cheese, vegemite, fruit and veg, chicken (because I don't eat red meat) and orange juice.

A normal day, depending on what time I start work, would be:
Wake up: immediately check my emails and facebook (I hate my addiction to facebook)
Shower, tidy up, breakfast.
Go for a walk/head to the shops or stay home and read a book and waste huge amounts of time on the internet (I'm super good at that).
Start work. I look after a two year old and a four year old.
Skype/email my family and friends.
Sleep.
That's a very basic normal day, but I don't want to bore you all with the details!

I have no idea why I picked Russia. I had been getting job offers all over the world and none of them really made me think "I have to go there, right now!"
Then I was offered my current job. I had never, ever, even considered visiting Russia let alone living here. I accepted the job and landed at Domodedovo three weeks later. It was a bit crazy, but I would do it again in a heart beat!

AussieinMoscow
14-04-2011, 14:45
Hey, Assie!
Tell us how many broken hearts will you leave in Moscow when you go?
What are your favourite place to hang out in Mcw?
What the funniest story ever happened to you here?

:focus:

Hello Darya!
I don't know if their hearts will be broken as such, but possibly two. :inlove:

I like to hang out at Katie O'shea's, Pancho villa and I don't mind Wall Street Bar. Plus I love the little french cafe near belorusskaya, Le Pain Quotidien (The smaller one, behind the metro).

I have a few funny stories. Most are stories about being lost in translation.
The grandmother who stays at our house a lot was asking me about my family and asked if my family took me to the airport when I left Oz. I was trying really hard to understand her and was trying to think of how to answer her in Russian. Now I thought I answered her with, "No, my mum was too sad and would cry too much if she took me to the airport" but it turns out I actually said "No, my mum was pooing to much to take me to the airport". That was a source of comedy in our house for a few days!

Another time I was at the park, helping some grandmothers who are about 70 years old, read their very outdated English picture book. All was going well until they got stuck on the word "cock" I tried to tell them to say rooster instead, but they insisted on repeatedly reading very loudly "COCK". Grandmothers just shouldn't say that! It was hilarious!

sis
14-04-2011, 17:53
hello...
i was wondering how much money can one make as a nanny in Moscow, given that you can speak english? Do you know many other au-pairs here? how did you find you job, and is it easy to find this sort of work in moscow...

AussieinMoscow
14-04-2011, 21:16
hello...
i was wondering how much money can one make as a nanny in Moscow, given that you can speak english? Do you know many other au-pairs here? how did you find you job, and is it easy to find this sort of work in moscow...

I personally earn a good salary with great benefits. With this type of work though every scenario is different, salary varies greatly from family to family as do working conditions. It depends if you are an au pair or a nanny as well. In my case, I'm a nanny, I have childcare qualifications and years of experience with young children and children with specials needs. Where as an au pair is generally wanting to have a cultural experience with pocket money.
I know a few nannies in my neighbourhood who are from the Philippines, I don't see them outside of working hours though.
I found my job through a nanny website, there are a few Russian families listed on there at the moment. If you are willing to go through an agency there are loads of jobs going in Moscow at the moment.
It can be easy to find a job in childcare, it's difficult to find a decent job though.

If you want more detailed information on the websites etc just PM me.

xSnoofovich
15-04-2011, 14:22
You are going to the uni, yes? What are you studying? What is your favorite music? What is your fav color? What is the craziest thing you have ever done (besides coming to mother rasha)? Where do you see yourself in 5/10/20 years? what advice would you give your younger self?

AussieinMoscow
15-04-2011, 14:55
You are going to the uni, yes? What are you studying? What is your favorite music? What is your fav color? What is the craziest thing you have ever done (besides coming to mother rasha)? Where do you see yourself in 5/10/20 years? what advice would you give your younger self?

I'm going to get my double degree in paediatric nursing and midwifery.

My favourite music, is a bit of everything really. I love classical and jazz I'm a huge fan of everything from the 50's and 70's and I like most of the current stuff in the top 40 charts. (Although some of the current music is absolutely rubbish)

My favourite colour is yellow.

I've skydived if that counts as crazy? I want to do a shark dive at some point. The closest I've got to doing that though is swimming with New Zealand fur seals.... which is very un-crazy!

I'm not very good at these ones, I'm all too aware of how everything can change and your life get's put on a different track.
In 5 years : I will hopefully be a qualified nurse/midwife and be rushing about a hospital somewhere helping to deliver babies!

In 10 years: I'm not sure about 10 years. Maybe married? Kids? Still hopefully crossing things of my to-do-list.... it's a mighty long list!

In 20 years: I have no idea! Hopefully I will still love my job and not be "the cranky nurse" that the kids don't like :p
A happy, healthy family and home of my own.... I want all those things so if I have them in 20 years time, I'll be very content!

Advice for my younger self would be "Stop wagging school and don't even attempt waitressing jobs!" :11629:

sweetfart
18-04-2011, 07:43
AussieinMoscow,

1. I have a problem with ants in my apartment. What do I do?
2. Do you want Justin Bieber's haircut?
3. If you had a kid, what would you name it?

AussieinMoscow
18-04-2011, 09:53
1. I have a problem with ants in my apartment. What do I do?
Hmm, Ant's can be tricky to get rid of! I spray their tracks and entry points with soapy water, vinegar or windex. Usually I use vinegar though, works like a charm! Good Luck!

2. Do you want Justin Bieber's haircut?
haha No, Justin can keep rocking out that look, I'm quite happy with my current hair style.

3. If you had a kid, what would you name it?
Charlie for a boy, (although I don't mind Charlie as a girls name too) and I like Lulu for a girls name, I'm not sure though. I have a feeling I'm going to have boys so I have loads of favourite boys names and not many girls names and the girls names I do like, change regularly.

Thanks for your questions!

AndrewUSA
11-05-2011, 12:45
to get into the hot seat...jkjk

mattology
12-05-2011, 08:26
to get into the hot seat...jkjk

It's always the last person who was in the Hot Seat to nominate the next one :)