PDA

View Full Version : Greetings to the Moscow expat community.

Sulla
06-04-2011, 02:07
I'm an American student about to graduate and am looking to move abroad to either Argentina or Russia. I already know a fair amount about Argentina from having lived there for one year, but not much on Russia, which is why I have joined this forum hoping to gain some insight into Russian life from the perspective of the expat.

Take care,
Sulla

franzewich
06-04-2011, 02:11
I'm an American student about to graduate and am looking to move abroad to either Argentina or Russia. I already know a fair amount about Argentina from having lived there for one year, but not much on Russia, which is why I have joined this forum hoping to gain some insight into Russian life from the perspective of the expat.

Take care,
Sulla

Hi Sulla, welcome to this forum! Moscow is SUPER! (don't know too much about the rest of Russia, though!) What exactly do you want to know about living in Russia?

tasel
06-04-2011, 08:59
HI Sulla, welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask for information you needed.

cecilep4444
07-04-2011, 22:44
Hello,
I live in Moscow since 3 years. I confirm it is a great city. What do you want to know exactly??

Sulla
09-04-2011, 12:31
Hey guys.

I suppose I'm interested in knowing how easy/hard it is to live in Moscow as an expat. If I come to Russia, I intend on supporting myself by doing freelance Spanish to English work and teaching English to Russians.

Once your tourist visa expires, what are your options for staying legally? About how much does a studio apartment in an average part of the city cost per month?

For those who teach English, is TEFL certification necessary or is it often enough to just be a native English speaker?

How diverse is the city? Are there other ethnic communities besides Eastern Europeans, Central Asians, and Chinese? Any Koreans or Hispanics? Would I be able to find spicy food in Moscow?

How expensive is food in general?

I guess this is enough for now. Thanks in advance!

-Sulla

tmmckee
09-04-2011, 13:02
I will arrive in early August. When are you arriving?

tmmckee
09-04-2011, 13:11
Hey guys.

I suppose I'm interested in knowing how easy/hard it is to live in Moscow as an expat. If I come to Russia, I intend on supporting myself by doing freelance Spanish to English work and teaching English to Russians.

Once your tourist visa expires, what are your options for staying legally? About how much does a studio apartment in an average part of the city cost per month?

For those who teach English, is TEFL certification necessary or is it often enough to just be a native English speaker?

How diverse is the city? Are there other ethnic communities besides Eastern Europeans, Central Asians, and Chinese? Any Koreans or Hispanics? Would I be able to find spicy food in Moscow?

How expensive is food in general?

I guess this is enough for now. Thanks in advance!

-Sulla

I know someone on this forum who answered soooooo many of my questions. I can put him in touch with you. As far as staying here legally after your tourist visa expires, you may have to leave the country and apply for a new one...maybe in Ukraine or someplace. Not sure. I am going to be teaching English with a school here, so I will not be on a tourist visa. No...the TEFL is not necessary to teach English. Also, the CELTA is the certification that they usually ask for if they request one. The BKC International House gives the CELTA course in Moscow. You can look for it on their website. There is also the school Language Link. I think that they also teach Spanish. I would take a look at their website too.

tasel
11-04-2011, 00:10
Hi Sulla, Moscow is basically expensive and specially if you arrive from the States you will find everything overpriced. Renting a studio apartment would cost you on average of 35-50k rubles depending on the size, locality & condition (western renovated & furnished). At first better try to find a sharing apartment. You can find people from different communities here. Talking about food here we have both cheap & expensive restaurants (not as cheap in US) and on average dining cost for a person would be 1000 rubles ($30)

FatAndy
11-04-2011, 15:52
You should find legal entity (school, joint venture company, embassy, just Russian company) which has quota for foreign employees and can help you to obtain RF working visa, and try to convince them that you're the best of the best. Or marry Russian citizen ;)

Once your tourist visa expires, what are your options for staying legally?

Sulla
26-04-2011, 23:49
Thank you for the replies everyone!

I will arrive in early August. When are you arriving?

If I decide to make the move, it will probably be in September. Or perhaps I'll go to Argentina for a bit and then come to Moscow once things down there start going south.

Or marry Russian citizen ;)

Not a bad idea :idea: