PDA

View Full Version : TRevlling from Moscow to St Pt

Tim Y
11-08-2007, 15:02
I am thinking about travelling to st pete's from moscow and want to get information on what to expect and how to get there best.

Should i use red arrow and how much should i expect to pay (and where to get it). Is it better to order online or ask someone to do it for me in the station. First class would be preferable.

Thanks in advance :)

euro-asia
11-08-2007, 20:34
Hi

i travel alot between both cities, and i would recommend the fast train (4h30 travel) they are confortable and costs around 2500 - 3500 one way. it is easy and fast. good trains.

if you need accomodation in appartment in st petersburg let me know i have some very nice appartment for rent.(short term)

johan

Katrine L
11-08-2007, 22:38
Agree with the previous post - fast trains much more comfortable than overnight trains even if they of 1st class. And it takes less time to get St.Pete than even by plane (considering travel to/from airport to the city center, especially trough jams)
There were 2 fast trains every day a year ago - departure at 4.30pm and 6.30pm. Maybe their schedule has not changed significantly since that.
I am not sure about on-line booking but you can PM me if you need a ticket - I have a ticket agency and we can organize it for you.:wavey:

Aşık melek
12-08-2007, 19:43
the best thing is to use discount flights. it costs 500 roubles (one way, all taxes are included), but to get ticket for this price u should book it in advance -3-4 weeks. if u book in 2 weeks before the trip the price will be 1200-1300 roubles. just 1 hour and u r in st.pete
to my opinion these fast trains arr so uncomfortable! i was next to die after spending there these 4-5 hours. the seats are uncomfortable, condition never works, meal is awful, the staff is rude.......

marcojov
14-08-2007, 22:08
I'm gonna go this weekend and I'm travelling by night Train.
Price for couchette, with 4 people is around 4500 rubles return trip, but you can pay more depending on the trip...

I don't know about flight.. but you should find a flight far cheaper to make it convenient... I mean.. you should get a taxi to/from the airport... it can cost even more than the flight!

lew
15-08-2007, 06:36
You sure posted this in a timely fashion...yikes....take the plane!!!!!!!!!

Nur9
31-10-2007, 17:04
I am considering taking the overnight train to St. Petersburg with my two-year old, and am wondering, does anyone know if the "beds" in the train compartments have railing that would prevent from a child from rolling off?

Aşık melek
03-11-2007, 00:05
nothing of such kind for kids in trains. why dont u want to go by plane just 1 hour and u r here. not to sleep in dirty train........especially with a kid

Garibaldi
03-11-2007, 09:04
I have traveled often with two young kids (1 and 3) on the train and no problems whatever with kids falling off the bunks. Or you could drive ...

Natalia-in-web
21-01-2008, 10:57

Transparent Theatre
21-01-2008, 11:47
Worth noting that the Red Arrow is no longer the top end of the market for train travel to SPb. The "Express" is just as good, and probably better, in fact. But there are two which are substantially nicer, if you want to spring the extra cash for them and comfort is of importance to you:

MEGAPOLIS is a lovely new service being operated by Tver' Railways (ie so it makes a token stop in Tver' en-route whilst you are sleeping). It has 2nd-Class/4-berth which is substantially nicer and newer than on Red Arrow, but it's the First-Class which is really splendid. Elegant new modern compartments with TV, power-sockets for your mobile or laptop, and the nice touch of hot breakfast in bed in the morning.

GRAND EXPRESS doesn't have 2nd-Class at all - service on board begins at 1st-Class at a minimum. New modern 2-berth compartments with TV, supper service, and lots of comfort. If you wish to splurge, there are Premium compartments which have en-suite bathrooms and wi-fi, and DeLuxe which offers a whole apartment (including a lounge area and kitchinette with microwave oven etc), plus all the wi-fi stuff you got in Premium too.

Yes, it's pricey, but no-one is forcing you - it's great that there are options like this if you want to pay it. Worth nothing that the difference between "First-Class" on the GRAND EXPRESS and the MEGAPOLIS and RED ARROW services hardly varies in price... and you get so much more for your money on the newer services :)

MEGAPOLIS is also the last train of the night, so if you want to take in the Mariinsky Ballet/Opera, or a show, AND have supper after, you can still easily make it to the station by taxi for the perfect end to your SPb trip... the party continues on board, and only ends when they turf you out into the chill air of Moskovsky Vokzal on arrival :) However, the arrival time is a civilised 9am, and not the ghastly 6am metro-not-open-yet time that some other services arrive ;)

I have to go to SPb 5-6 times a year, and Megapolis is definitely my preferred service these days :) Definitely worth the small extra cost to travel on something that's easily up in the "EuroStar/Thalys" category.

PS I wouldn't rank the "Nikolaevsky Express" at all, I'm afraid - you have to do a little better than repainting the exterior of the soviet-type wagons and putting pesudo-C19th curtains in the corridors to attract clients these days.

Carbo
21-01-2008, 18:59
Worth noting that the Red Arrow is no longer the top end of the market for train travel to SPb. The "Express" is just as good, and probably better, in fact. But there are two which are substantially nicer, if you want to spring the extra cash for them and comfort is of importance to you:

MEGAPOLIS is a lovely new service being operated by Tver' Railways (ie so it makes a token stop in Tver' en-route whilst you are sleeping). It has 2nd-Class/4-berth which is substantially nicer and newer than on Red Arrow, but it's the First-Class which is really splendid. Elegant new modern compartments with TV, power-sockets for your mobile or laptop, and the nice touch of hot breakfast in bed in the morning.

GRAND EXPRESS doesn't have 2nd-Class at all - service on board begins at 1st-Class at a minimum. New modern 2-berth compartments with TV, supper service, and lots of comfort. If you wish to splurge, there are Premium compartments which have en-suite bathrooms and wi-fi, and DeLuxe which offers a whole apartment (including a lounge area and kitchinette with microwave oven etc), plus all the wi-fi stuff you got in Premium too.

Yes, it's pricey, but no-one is forcing you - it's great that there are options like this if you want to pay it. Worth nothing that the difference between "First-Class" on the GRAND EXPRESS and the MEGAPOLIS and RED ARROW services hardly varies in price... and you get so much more for your money on the newer services :)

MEGAPOLIS is also the last train of the night, so if you want to take in the Mariinsky Ballet/Opera, or a show, AND have supper after, you can still easily make it to the station by taxi for the perfect end to your SPb trip... the party continues on board, and only ends when they turf you out into the chill air of Moskovsky Vokzal on arrival :) However, the arrival time is a civilised 9am, and not the ghastly 6am metro-not-open-yet time that some other services arrive ;)

I have to go to SPb 5-6 times a year, and Megapolis is definitely my preferred service these days :) Definitely worth the small extra cost to travel on something that's easily up in the "EuroStar/Thalys" category.

PS I wouldn't rank the "Nikolaevsky Express" at all, I'm afraid - you have to do a little better than repainting the exterior of the soviet-type wagons and putting pesudo-C19th curtains in the corridors to attract clients these days.
That's super info. do you have a link for these? I've travelled to StP quite a bit, but nothing like that.

I definitely recommend the train, even if it's only in 4-berth mode -- especially if you're on a budget. i can think of nothing better than 1000-1500 return, a warm bed, and sleeping though most of the journey, to be deposited at destination with a full day to play with. Sweet.

bludumbiki
31-01-2008, 20:42
this might come too late but go by plain. Fast and round trip ticket less then a one way by fast train.
I was there just this weekend flying with aeroflot which went great. Also the city is beautiful the only disadvantage is the weather which is not that great. I am planning already to go back later in spring....
I really loved that city and now I hate moscow :(
good luck and have fun or I hope you had fun!