PDA

View Full Version : AstarD is in the hotseat!

martpark
01-04-2011, 15:13
Well, the seat has cooled a bit so we now have a new guest. Thanks for your questions and concerns.

Ladies and gentleman, let's have a big round of applause and please welcome AstarD! You can ask her anything you want (but she doesn't have to answer).

Oops, forgot some questions.

1What part of the world are you from?

2 What's your favorite dessert?

3 Do you play any sports?

4 How much wood could Chuck Norris chuck if Chuck Norris could chuck wood?

AstarD
01-04-2011, 15:33
I await your queries.

MickeyTong
01-04-2011, 16:08
Hi Astar.

Where are you from, and why did you leave?

Will you stay where you are now; if not, where to next and why?

Chuck Norris or Steve Seagal? (If that's not too much of a "guy" question)

xSnoofovich
01-04-2011, 16:08
What do you like most about Moscow?
Do you speak Russian?
How long have you been here?
What has changed since you have been here?

AstarD
01-04-2011, 16:13
Where are you from, and why did you leave?)My profile says I'm from the UK, which is true. But I actually was raised in the US.

Will you stay where you are now; if not, where to next and why?) I will stay here a bit longer, but it looks like I may be moving soon.

Chuck Norris or Steve Seagal? (If that's not too much of a "guy" question) Brendan Fraser

AstarD
01-04-2011, 16:15
What do you like most about Moscow?
The Metro.

Do you speak Russian?
I speak it pretty well.

How long have you been here?
Nearly 14 years.

What has changed since you have been here? Oh so much and oh so little!

AstarD
01-04-2011, 16:20
1What part of the world are you from?I was raised in the Southwest of the US

2 What's your favorite dessert?Panna Cotta

3 Do you play any sports?Sport ist Mord, as my German teacher used to say.

4 How much wood could Chuck Norris chuck if Chuck Norris could chuck wood?What's this fascination with Chuck Norris? He's tough and all, but he hasn't saved the world from The Mummy like Brendan Fraser!

AussieinMoscow
01-04-2011, 19:34
Hello :)

1. What's your favourite book?
2. What's your best beauty secret?
3. If you could be anywhere in the world right at this very moment, where would you want to be and why?
4. If you could send a message back in time to your 18 year old self, what would it say?
5. If you could meet one world leader who would it be? Why?

Thanks for being in the hot seat!

AndreyS
01-04-2011, 20:22
Oh, Sarah! Love your questions. Aren't you creative!

FlakeySnowballer
02-04-2011, 21:34
How old are you?

AndreyS
02-04-2011, 21:55
I guess, she is 14-smth.

robertmf
02-04-2011, 22:11
Oh, Sarah! Love your questions. Aren't you creative!

That Sheila's probably thinking up questions on the thunderbox :Loco:

Willy
03-04-2011, 04:56
On really hot summer days do you wear undees?

Willy
03-04-2011, 04:57
I guess, she is 14-smth.

Maybe I should have read this before I asked my question.

AndreyS
03-04-2011, 11:36
Maybe I should have read this before I asked my question.
I don't think you will get an answer to your question until tmrw. I noticed that our friend AstarD surfs the Internet only at work.

Willy
03-04-2011, 11:45
I don't think you will get an answer to your question until tmrw. I noticed that our friend AstarD surfs the Internet only at work.

They let 14 olds work?

Just goes to show ya, never hire a 14 year old because they will be on the internet all day and not do much work.

AndreyS
03-04-2011, 13:44
Just goes to show ya, never hire a 14 year old because they will be on the internet all day and not do much work.

I have another friend in the US of A, who is about 28.
Just tried to talk to her by Skype and failed.
But received an e-mal: Oh, sorry, Andrey, I am off work now!
LOL

AstarD
04-04-2011, 10:01
1. What's your favourite book?Pride and Prejudice

2. What's your best beauty secret?Drink lots of water and moisturize religiously

3. If you could be anywhere in the world right at this very moment, where would you want to be and why?Sipping a glass of gewuerztraminer Eiswein in the sun on the Fressgass in Frankfurt, or looking out my picture window across the prairie.

4. If you could send a message back in time to your 18 year old self, what would it say? Go to Australia anyway.

5. If you could meet one world leader who would it be? Why?Arthur Pendragon. It would be nice to meet someone who was supposed to be so ethical and established a quasi democratic kingdom.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 10:03
How old are you?I came to Russia when I was 32.

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 13:54
1. Why did you come to Russia?
2. What's your education?
3. What's your profession?

FatAndy
04-04-2011, 14:33
Ooops, 14 years! Cool.

1) What was your most negative impression about Russia (Russians) that time and now?
2) What was your most positive impression about Russia (Russians) that time and mow?

Thank you in advance! :)

AstarD
04-04-2011, 14:35
1. Why did you come to Russia?I was in love with all things Russian, although I had never taken the time to actually learn anything about Russia. What a surprise I had when the infatuation turned to something less friendly.

2. What's your education?I have two higher educations in languages: One with a specialty in French (minor in Russian) and one with a specialty in German (minor in Spanish).

3. What's your profession?I'm an editor for a multinational company.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 14:56
1.) What was your most negative impression about Russia (Russians) that time and now?Russians were always growling at each other (or that's how it seemed; maybe they were really saying "I love you", sweetie"). Also, I didn't like how people drinking a beer would get no strange looks, but how people drinking a coke or sprite would get stared at in the Metro.

I guess now I'm mostly put off by how apathetic Russians are.

2) What was your most positive impression about Russia (Russians) that time and mow?That's a tough one. I remember being impressed with the snow removal machines with the arms that scoop the snow and transfer it by conveyor belt into a waiting truck. I was impressed by the technique of scraping up the asphalt and melting it to resurface the roads.

Now I'm impressed by Russian handicrafts.

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 15:11
now I'm mostly put off by how apathetic Russians are.

Could you elaborate on that? Examples?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 15:21
Could you elaborate on that? Examples?
Politically.

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 15:25
Politically.
Dont believe that so called "opposition" and everything will fall into place.
Empty vessels make most sound.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 15:29
Ah, you have much soul. Being western, of course, I have none...

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 15:31
I didn't say that.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 15:34
Dont believe that so called "opposition" and everything will fall into place.
Empty vessels make most sound.
Of course it might not just fall automatically into place. What I do know is that it's much more likely to fall into place if there is some opposition than if there isn't.

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 15:37
Of course it might not just fall automatically into place. What I do know is that it's much more likely to fall into place if there is some opposition than if there isn't.
I have to agree. But it should be another opposition. Cheers!

Willy
04-04-2011, 15:39

Well a Russia girl would have answered my undees question just for fun. That's soul.

And there is more than one type of soul, the Russian kind and the James Brown kind. People with the James Brown kind would answer the undees question too. White America has no soul or am I wrong?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 15:43
Well a Russia girl would have answered my undees question just for fun. That's soul.

And there is more than one type of soul, the Russian kind and the James Brown kind. People with the James Brown kind would answer the undees question too. White America has no soul or am I wrong?

FatAndy
04-04-2011, 15:45
Willy, carefully, please... ;)

Willy
04-04-2011, 15:48

Yep white American girl with no soul.

Are you fat?

If so, never mind the undees question.

Do you ever have fun or is it all work,work,work?

Willy
04-04-2011, 15:50
Willy, carefully, please... ;)

What?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 15:52
I've been fortunate enough to find a job that I really enjoy.

Willy
04-04-2011, 15:56
I've been fortunate enough to find a job that I really enjoy.

So it's work,work,work, but if that's what you like.

Do you have a boyfriend?

If so, is he Russian?

xSnoofovich
04-04-2011, 15:56
How would one pronounce your nick?

Ass tard?
A Star D?
ads tard?
adstar d?

What does it mean?

( I didn't think about it till I saw your name was tagged.)

AstarD
04-04-2011, 15:58
So it's work,work,work, but if that's what you like.

Do you have a boyfriend?

If so, is he Russian?
Willy, what would I want with a boy?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 15:59
How would one pronounce your nick?

Ass tard?
A Star D?
ads tard?
adstar d?

What does it mean?

( I didn't think about it till I saw your name was tagged.)Just some random thing I came up with to register. It means nothing.

xSnoofovich
04-04-2011, 16:01
Do you spend a lot of time cooking?

Where are the best hidden places in Moscow for aspiring chefs?

Do you like the winters?

Have you ever been outside of Moscow?

If you are leaving (moscow) soon, where are going?

On the weekend, do you find yourself among expats, or speaking Russian?

Are you married?

Do you have children?

What is your favorite tea?

What is your favorite snack to have with tea?

Where do you buy your favorite tea?

Color or Colour?

Willy
04-04-2011, 16:04
Willy, what would I want with a boy?

You mean your 14 sorry 32 and don't know yet?

Or, you like girls better?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 16:06
Do you spend a lot of time cooking?
About an hour a day for breakfast and supper

Where are the best hidden places in Moscow for aspiring chefs?No idea. I see a lot of cooking courses on offer lately, but I've never taken one.

Do you like the winters?I love it when it's really cold and the sun shines and the snow crunches underfoot. I hate it when it's only about -10 and it's all cloudy and damp. Foo!

Have you ever been outside of Moscow?I've been to Piter, Saratov, Tver, and a few other small towns.

If you are leaving (moscow) soon, where are going?Probably back to the states to be nearer my folks, who are getting older and need some looking after.

On the weekend, do you find yourself among expats, or speaking Russian?expats, often speaking French.

Are you married? No

Do you have children?No

What is your favorite tea?Lady Grey

What is your favorite snack to have with tea?Chocolate chip cookies

Where do you buy your favorite tea?The grocery store

Color or Colour?It depends who I'm editing for.

FatAndy
04-04-2011, 16:07
Willy! 8((

You mean your 14 sorry 32 and don't know yet?

Or, you like girls better?

xSnoofovich
04-04-2011, 16:09
Chocolate chip cookies

Homemade? or Store bought?

If homemade, where do you buy your chocolate chips? If store bought, were do you buy them?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 16:11
Homemade? or Store bought?

If homemade, where do you buy your chocolate chips? If store bought, were do you buy them?

I buy the chocolate bars and freeze them, which makes it easier to break them into chips.

FatAndy
04-04-2011, 16:13
Which chocolate bars (TM)?

I buy the chocolate bars and freeze them, which makes it easier to break them into chips.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 16:15
Which chocolate bars (TM)?Russian chocolate is good for this--Rossiya or Krasny Oktyabr.

FatAndy
04-04-2011, 16:23
Dunno about Rossiya but K. O. got worser, IMHO... after their relocation from Bersenevka to suburb... I prefer Babaevsky "Люкс" and "Гвардейский".

xSnoofovich
04-04-2011, 16:24
Recently, the major credit rating agencies (CRA) have made cuts to some countries, while completely neglecting others.

A) Do you feel these cuts were justified?
B) Do you feel that the major credit rating agencies, such as S&P, Fitch, or Moody's have properly done their jobs? If not, why?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 16:27
Recently, the major credit rating agencies (CRA) have made cuts to some countries, while completely neglecting others.

A) Do you feel these cuts were justified?
B) Do you feel that the major credit rating agencies, such as S&P, Fitch, or Moody's have properly done their jobs? If not, why?
CRAs have been under lots of pressure from regulators all over the world to jump through many many hoops. One hoop is that the criteria have to be clear for the general educated reader and that the analysts and rating committees must follow them. So I would have to say that, based on their criteria, they had to take those decisions.

xSnoofovich
04-04-2011, 16:41
As an experianced English Editor, what would you look for in a potential candidate?

What is your biggest pet peeve regarding English (mis)usage?

What is your view on education, and on educational standards in the US or UK?

Willy
04-04-2011, 16:45
Willy! 8((

Is she reporting my post or are you making moral judgements on your own? I think she a big enough girl to take care of herself Andy.

Don't be a stick in mud.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 16:48
He's probably applying a mens rea standard, which you obviously don't seem capable of.

xSnoofovich
04-04-2011, 16:50
What advice would you give to someone trying to break into the Editing English business in Moscow?

What lessons have you learned in this business?
Have you ever done freelance?
Did you ever teach English here in Moscow?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 16:54
What is your biggest pet peeve regarding English (mis)usage?I can't really have the personality of an editor and have only one peeve, can I?
1. Using "they" and "their" as singular pronouns.
2. Not using enough punctuation.
3. Not using the step back into the past for reported speech.

What is your view on education, and on educational standards in the US or UK?I'm in two minds. I don't think learning everything by rote is the answer, but I do think a lot of information needs to be learned by rote in order to facilitate higher learning.

I think standards have fallen too low in order to try to make children who are underperforming feel better about themselves. It's entirely misplaced, because it results in people who feel good about themselves for no good reasons and who never got a real chance to feel good about themselves for the right reasons. Children can meet standards that they are held to. It's racist and classist to think they cannot achieve because they are "of color" or from a lower economic bracket.

Willy
04-04-2011, 16:57
He's probably applying a mens rea standard, which you obviously don't seem capable of.

If I understood what that meant would I be offended?

Sorry I'm not a prude.

You know there is nothing "hot" about this thread, is there anything hot about you?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:04
I should have said "reasonable man". Mens rea means something different.

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 17:06
1. Your hobby?
2. What do you spend your extra-money on?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:08
If I understood what that meant would I be offended?

Sorry I'm not a prude.

You know there is nothing "hot" about this thread, is there anything hot about you?:11721:Oooo, gosh! Willy doesn't think I'm hot. :yuk: Woe is me!:7525:

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:12
1. Your hobby?I sing in an amateur choir.

2. What do you spend your extra-money on?

Most of my extra money goes to savings. I want to purchase another house for retirement income. I like to go out for lunch and dinner with friends on the weekend.

Willy
04-04-2011, 17:14
I should have said "reasonable man". Mens rea means something different.

I am mr reasonable! Well that what my friends tell me anyway.

Reason uh?

Ok if you like reason can you give me at least three reasons why you wouldn't take me out to eat tonight? Keep in mind that I've some very bad luck lately and am almost starving slowly to death. You have no boyfriend or husband but you say you have a soul.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:16
1. I'm sure your bad luck is of your own making.
2. You're rude, crude, and socially unacceptable.
3. Your reputation with women preceeds you, out of your own mouth.

Willy
04-04-2011, 17:21
:11721:Oooo, gosh! Willy doesn't think I'm hot. :yuk: Woe is me!:7525:

I was talking about this thread, you could look hot, but you don't like to flirt much. Flirting will increase your chances of having a child some day. You don't want to have kids?

And no I am not offering you my child.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:22
Obviously you cannot perform simple arithmetic.

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 17:29
Are you a religious person? At your heart?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:33
Yes. I'm a practicing Christian.

Willy
04-04-2011, 17:33
1. I'm sure your bad luck is of your own making.
2. You're rude, crude, and socially unacceptable.
3. Your reputation with women preceeds you, out of your own mouth.

First one is correct.

Second, that all depends, I have eaten in Burger King with very little problem.

Number three I just don't understand? Do you mean that everyone you take out to eat has to have sex with out? I'm not that kind of guy, you'd have to pay me out right for sex, that is if I wasn't attracted to you.

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 17:34
Yes. I'm a practicing Christian.
Why so much grief and evil in the world? Is God really almighty or not?

xSnoofovich
04-04-2011, 17:34
www.drudgereport.com or www.huffingtonpost.com ?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:36
I don't really read either of those. They are both too politically charged.

Willy
04-04-2011, 17:37
Obviously you cannot perform simple arithmetic.

I do have some trouble.

Is that a bad thing?

I have other qualities.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:38
Why so much grief and evil in the world? Is God really almighty or not?
God is almighty. He set down rules that humans disobeyed, which started the world's decay. As with Willy, most of our bad luck is of our own making.

xSnoofovich
04-04-2011, 17:42
I don't really read either of those. They are both too politically charged.

What do you read then?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:44
First I read what's of interest on BBC, then CNN, then FOX, then I usually go to Google news and just peruse.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:47
First one is correct.

Second, that all depends, I have eaten in Burger King with very little problem.

Number three I just don't understand? Do you mean that everyone you take out to eat has to have sex with out? I'm not that kind of guy, you'd have to pay me out right for sex, that is if I wasn't attracted to you.
You lack that certain something that makes a man really attractive as a dinner partner.

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 17:51
You lack that certain something that makes a man really attractive as a dinner partner.

Oh, please, some details - what makes us attractive to dine with, in your view? Thx.

Inola
04-04-2011, 17:52
I sing in an amateur choir.

Cool! Do you perform on public? Can we come to listen to you?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 17:58
Oh, please, some details - what makes us attractive to dine with, in your view? Thx.
Interesting, polite conversation.
Native intelligence.
Being kind and considerate.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 18:02
Cool! Do you perform on public? Can we come to listen to you?
Yes, we normally have four concerts per year: two in the spring and two in winter. This spring we're singing Mozart's Royal Mass; Brahm's Liebeslieder Waltzer; and Borodin's Polovtsian Dances.

Inola
04-04-2011, 18:06
Yes, we normally have four concerts per year: two in the spring and two in winter. This spring we're singing Mozart's Royal Mass; Brahm's Liebeslieder Waltzer; and Borodin's Polovtsian Dances.

I would love to hear that! When and where please?:applause:

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 18:06
First I read what's of interest on BBC, then CNN, then FOX, then I usually go to Google news and just peruse.

Great! I do almost the same, except for FOX. I also have a friend in the US (political journalist) who is constantly peppering me with hot news and links.

AstarD
04-04-2011, 18:10
I would love to hear that! When and where please?:applause:
Our first concert will be May 17 at St. Andrew's Anglican Church and the second one on May 24 at the Yauza Theatre

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 18:26
You speak several languages. Is it difficult to not mistake words and expressions of one for those of another? What do you do to keep all your knowledge in a good shape? Don't you feel (like some Russian speaking expats) you are somewhat losing your mother tongue?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 18:33
No, I'll never lose my English. It's always the language at the top of my brain. My other languages, however, are another story. Right now, living in Russia, Russian is the language just under the English layer, with French and German under that.

I have terrible problems switching back and forth between any of the foreign languages. Once I begin to think in German or French (by reading a newspaper or novel in German or French), I have a terrible time speaking in Russian.

I went once to Vienna for a few weeks and there was a Russian scientist staying at the same B&B where I was staying. We sat together at breakfast and I spoke Russian with him, and then went out wandering around for the day. By the next morning, I couldn't converse with him, because German had taken over.

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 18:40
No, I'll never lose my English. It's always the language at the top of my brain. My other languages, however, are another story. Right now, living in Russia, Russian is the language just under the English layer, with French and German under that.

I have terrible problems switching back and forth between any of the foreign languages. Once I begin to think in German or French (by reading a newspaper or novel in German or French), I have a terrible time speaking in Russian.

I went once to Vienna for a few weeks and there was a Russian scientist staying at the same B&B where I was staying. We sat together at breakfast and I spoke Russian with him, and then went out wandering around for the day. By the next morning, I couldn't converse with him, because German had taken over.
Thanks! Amazing piece of info! Very interesting.

So, whatever the complications, you find it possible to cope somehow with four languages in the single brain! ;-)

Yes, your English is always at the top. But have you ever forgotten words? Is your vocab getting poorer?

Or the thing is just how to switch to English or other language, and once you did you feel like a fish in water and all words are at your service automatically, in the near memory?

AstarD
04-04-2011, 19:05
It's not so much that I forget words; it's that I get used to "code switching (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code-switching)" with other expats and we tend to use the best word to express the concept. For example: remont. No native English speaker living here who actually speaks Russian would use another word for that concept. Then it becomes a struggle to find the right word in English to explain to your relatives or friends who don't speak Russian.

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 20:23
Ok. You convinced me: you will never lose your language.
Let's talk cats now:
1. How many cats do you have? How old are they?
2. Have you bought them or found in the street or what?
3. Who looks after them when you are far away? Do you have a cat-sitter?
4. Will you take them to the US in case you leave Russia for good or you will find another home for them here?

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 21:31
Native intelligence.

Oh dear! I am lacking all three of the above!
I can reckon on a conversation only here, in the open forum.
But it has its positive side: everybody can benefit from it. LOL

xSnoofovich
04-04-2011, 22:01
music

do you have an ipod?
would others consider your musical tastes dated?
best 70s band?
best 80s band?
best 90s band?
best band ever?

AndreyS
04-04-2011, 23:53
XSnoofie. I am your friend. But cats always come first. Whatever the music.

music

do you have an ipod?
would others consider your musical tastes dated?
best 70s band?
best 80s band?
best 90s band?
best band ever?

Willy
05-04-2011, 02:03
Native intelligence.

Are you saying I'm not kind and considerate?

You just called me dumb, and I'm not kind? What are you?

What did I ever do to you? So I've had sex with lots of women and I don't think it's a bad thing. I can talk openly about what comes natural to humans but you are some how embarrassed by it because you believe humans are better than all living things?

Interesting? That is subjective like food or music.

I'll give some help, invest in gold and sliver, buying a house you will only lose money.

And please believe me when I say I'm not angry with you and I don't hate.

AstarD
05-04-2011, 10:33
1. How many cats do you have? How old are they?In total, I have 5 cats: 3 here and 2 at my parents'.

2. Have you bought them or found in the street or what?I got 4 from friends and found one on my way to work.

3. Who looks after them when you are far away? Do you have a cat-sitter?I have a nanny to look after them when I'm gone for more than a day.

4. Will you take them to the US in case you leave Russia for good or you will find another home for them here?Of course I will take them with me. What kind of person would leave them behind?

AstarD
05-04-2011, 10:34
Oh dear! I am lacking all three of the above!
I can reckon on a conversation only here, in the open forum.
But it has its positive side: everybody can benefit from it. LOLI would not say that you are lacking those things, although you do have a disturbing stalker quality. You certainly know how to make polite conversation and you don't seem like an idiot. And I know you have cats, so you must be kind.

AstarD
05-04-2011, 10:46
:piano:
do you have an ipod?No, I have a Sony walkman MP3 player.

would others consider your musical tastes dated?I'm pretty sure they would.

best 70s band?ABBA and Queen
best 80s band?Depeche Mode, INXS, U2

best 90s band?Madonna, The Proclaimers

best band ever?That would have to be a toss up among The Beatles, ABBA, and Queen.

AstarD
05-04-2011, 11:01
Are you saying I'm not kind and considerate?Yes I am. The kind of questions you ask and your constant provocation indicate what kind of person you are, and kind is not the adjective one would use to describe you.

You just called me dumb, and I'm not kind? What are you?I think it's pretty obvious that you are not the brightest bulb on this site. You can't formulate your thoughts coherently, and you are stupid enough to think that I'm interested in dinner with you. You're foolish enough to think provocative questions about whether I wear underwear are flirting and you're too stupid to figure out my age from the clear information I've given in this thread. Why would I want a boy at my age? Why would I want to have children at my age, you dolt?

What did I ever do to you? So I've had sex with lots of women and I don't think it's a bad thing. I can talk openly about what comes natural to humans but you are some how embarrassed by it because you believe humans are better than all living things?You haven't done anything to me, but I'm smart enough to learn from other people's mistakes.

nteresting? That is subjective like food or music.Indeed. And your pronouncement that this thread about me isn't "hot" (I reckon this is your all-purpose word for "interesting") is a subjective judgement that I don't have to like in my own subjectivity, isn't it?

I'll give some help, invest in gold and sliver, buying a house you will only lose money.Yeah, I'll take investment advice from someone whose own stupid decisions have landed him in the position he has to beg for dinner from a hostile older woman. Not!

And please believe me when I say I'm not angry with you and I don't hate.You're one of the angriest, most hateful people I've come across, based on what you post here and on Redtape.

AstarD
05-04-2011, 12:21
What advice would you give to someone trying to break into the Editing English business in Moscow?I don't know if there are that many editors trying to break into the business. There seem to be rather few of us around and it's hard to find a replacement. If you have experience, don't take less than $3000 a month plus benefits.

What lessons have you learned in this business?I don't think it's any different from any other business. You have to get along with the people you work with, because you're creating a product together.

Have you ever done freelance?I've done some freelance translation from French into English and a few freelance editing projects, but generally I prefer not to. I earn enough money and spend enough time doing work at work that I don't feel the need to take outside jobs.

Did you ever teach English here in Moscow?I taught English for a few years when I first came to Moscow, then one of my friends who was the head of marketing at one a big multinational recruited me to work as an editor in her department.

Willy
05-04-2011, 14:08
Yes I am. The kind of questions you ask and your constant provocation indicate what kind of person you are, and kind is not the adjective one would use to describe you.

I think it's pretty obvious that you are not the brightest bulb on this site. You can't formulate your thoughts coherently, and you are stupid enough to think that I'm interested in dinner with you. You're foolish enough to think provocative questions about whether I wear underwear are flirting and you're too stupid to figure out my age from the clear information I've given in this thread. Why would I want a boy at my age? Why would I want to have children at my age, you dolt?

You haven't done anything to me, but I'm smart enough to learn from other people's mistakes.

Indeed. And your pronouncement that this thread about me isn't "hot" (I reckon this is your all-purpose word for "interesting") is a subjective judgement that I don't have to like in my own subjectivity, isn't it?

Yeah, I'll take investment advice from someone whose own stupid decisions have landed him in the position he has to beg for dinner from a hostile older woman. Not!

You're one of the angriest, most hateful people I've come across, based on what you post here and on Redtape.

I don't hate redtape, I don't like it very much, they hate me though, which is not good, never good to hate anyone.

Your 45/46 I would say and while you are close, you could still have kids. My ex just had a son at 44 and a friend of mine back in the states mom had one at 47 but they don't feel themselves old why do you? I'm 48 and I just had a kid with my wife of 28. She is 4 month older then my first son. I plan to have more too because what is the meaning of life if you don't have children?

And you know I never thought you would take me out for dinner. I just was trying to find out how you would turn me down. You did it just how I thought you would. I did have some problems but if it was because I choose to play drums I won't have regrets. I know it's one of the hardest jobs you can have. Unlike editor for S&P. Why did you go from being a senior editor to editor? I would think that's a step down and not up, was it more money?

And I don't think this thread is hot for two reasons, hot seat means to be asked tough questions that make you sweat, the other could be sexy hot and there is none of that here for sure. Is there anything sexy about you? You being old and hostile but not older, at least not older than me. I would say your more bitter then hostile though, with zero sexiness. I know women in their fifties that are still sexy. Do you have hang ups about it? I could see a young girl being embarrest but a 46 year old? You should be comfortable with life and yes it is a part of life. Without it life wouldn't be now would it.

Oh and love your insults, haven't heard "dolt" for a long time.

Have fun on the "hot"seat, now you know a little of what it's like to be famous. Enjoy!

AstarD
05-04-2011, 14:23
I wonder how you think you know so much about where I work and my position.

Willy
05-04-2011, 14:54
I wonder how you think you know so much about where I work and my position.

You wrote about it here?

Or I mixed you up with J.H editor of S&P formerly senior editor at E&Y?

My friends and I have lots of them are not only musician but millionaires and billionaires, work for the World Bank, doctors, lawyers, professors. You think I know nothing but should listen to me about gold and sliver, I didn't just think that up all by myself, well because I know I'm dumb, don't need you to tell me, but my friends aren't.

AstarD
05-04-2011, 15:01
You wrote about it here?

Or I mixed you up with J.H editor of S&P formerly senior editor at E&Y?

My friends and I have lots of them are not only musician but millionaires and billionaires, work for the World Bank, doctors, lawyers, professors. You think I know nothing but should listen to me about gold and sliver, I didn't just think that up all by myself, well because I know I'm dumb, don't need you to tell me, but my friends aren't.

Nope. I've never written about my job until this thread. I think you're confused, but that's not really a surprise.

Willy
05-04-2011, 15:16
Nope. I've never written about my job until this thread. I think you're confused, but that's not really a surprise.

No it's my friends who are, because I asked and they narrowed it down to you. How many American women are editors like you here? How many are 45/46 years old with no children?

AstarD
05-04-2011, 15:20
Probably more than they know about. I don't have the prestigious circle of friends that you do.

Willy
05-04-2011, 15:51
Probably more than they know about. I don't have the prestigious circle of friends that you do.

I don't work in an office but in clubs and my job is to help people have fun and relax and I do my job very well. Maybe you should quit? Become a singer, or just stop trying to seem so smart. Really smart people never show it. Least of all to their adversary. They let them make a mistake and use it against them.

And if you really want to know something about someone never ask directly, you will never get the truth. You have to make them show you who they are. And now we know don't we?

AstarD
05-04-2011, 15:57
And now we know don't we?Oh, yes, we do.:book:

NotMe
05-04-2011, 18:01
In total, I have 5 cats: 3 here and 2 at my parents'.
I got 4 from friends and found one on my way to work.
I have a nanny to look after them when I'm gone for more than a day.
Of course I will take them with me. What kind of person would leave them behind?

If you had a chance to turn one of your 5th cats to a human being, who it would be and why? :)

AstarD
05-04-2011, 18:06
If you had a chance to turn one of your 5th cats to a human being, who it would be and why? :)Now that sounds like it might be a good idea...until I remember that my cats--although they have different personalities--don't have the best human qualities. :mooooh:

They're very hairy (I suppose they can't really help that). They sleep most of the day and night. They eat so much that they make themselves sick and then I have to clean it up. :yuk:

And they don't even make me breakfast in bed on Saturdays! :pressie:

No, NotMe, I'll just keep them as cats. I can accept their bad behavior that way.

martpark
05-04-2011, 18:43
Favourite film, food and city you've visited?

AstarD
05-04-2011, 18:49
Favourite film, food and city you've visited?
Favorite film: What's Up Doc
Favorite food: It's a tie between Spaghetti al olio i aglio and Cheese Enchiladas
Favorite city I've visited: London

FlakeySnowballer
05-04-2011, 21:46
Are you addicted to social nets?

AstarD
06-04-2011, 11:35
Yes and no. I like to communicate with people and see what they have to say, :whisper: but I have to be in front of a computer all day at work. So social networks are a way of keeping in touch with people. I'm on Facebook, expat.ru, and redtape.ru. I'm not on any other networks, though, because I think that's more than enough to keep me busy when I should be working.:coffee:

xSnoofovich
06-04-2011, 12:01
have you ever been to egypt? turkey?

AstarD
06-04-2011, 12:10
I've been to Turkey a couple of times. It was very exciting to go for a business trip the first year I was working in the multinational company. Saw the Grand Bazaar, The Haga Sophia, and the beautiful Blue Mosque. Unfortunately, it was only a 2-day trip.

I've been to Izmir in similar circumstances at a conference where we spent the entire day in the hotel. We had a side trip to Ephesus that was great.

NotMe
06-04-2011, 14:24
For AstarD...:)

AstarD
06-04-2011, 15:03
Thanks! Those are very nice pictures. I loooooove kitties.:cheerleader:

AstarD
06-04-2011, 19:28
Yes, we normally have four concerts per year: two in the spring and two in winter. This spring we're singing Mozart's Royal Mass; Brahm's Liebeslieder Waltzer; and Borodin's Polovtsian Dances.Sorry, that should be Mozart's Coronation Mass. I didn't have my music with me when I aswered this, and we practiced this one a lot last night.

robertmf
07-04-2011, 02:27
I've been to Turkey a couple of times.

Try Samsun or Trabzon. :emote_popcorn: Can you use your left hand :question:

AstarD
07-04-2011, 10:44
I'm sorry. I don't understand your question. That is, I understand each individual word, but I don't understand what you mean to ask me.

martpark
09-04-2011, 11:30
A video for the Cat people borrowed from Moscow Animals.

YouTube - Cat Yoga