PDA

View Full Version : Fans Go Crazy As Beckham Makes Debut

Judge
10-08-2007, 15:30
David Beckham was given a hero's welcome when making his competitive debut for LA Galaxy - but could not stop them losing 1-0 to DC United.

Becks plying his trade for the GalaxySome fans had started to become impatient with the superstar midfielder following his transfer to the Californian club, a deal said to be worth around 125m.

His first appearance for the club came in a friendly against Chelsea, when the Galaxy also went down 1-0.

An ankle injury then confined the former England captain to the substitutes' bench for his first few league games, sparking anti-Beckham posters and demonstrations from dissatisfied fans.

But when the time came for him to take the pitch in the 72nd minute of the match against DC the sell-out 46,686 crowd at the RFK Stadium in Washington roared with approval.

After the game, Beckham said he was delighted with the reception he had been given.
"That cuts out all the frustration that I've had for the last few weeks, ever since I joined the Galaxy and haven't been able to play," he said.

"Stepping out there and seeing the reaction, it was great. I feel very honoured. It was great for me to be on the pitch and to kick a soccer ball around.

"Obviously, there's been a certain amount of pressure because everyone is talking about how I've come to MLS (the American league) and not played yet.

"But I don't feel pressure in that sense. I feel pressure in myself to get fit and to get back playing again."

The 32-year-old, who has insisted he is in the US to bring "soccer" to a largely indifferent public and not just to trouser vast sums of cash, added that the size of the crowd had also pleased him.

"We had 40,000-odd fans, so you know it's been a successful night," he said.

"A full stadium, that's what the sport needs."