PDA

View Full Version : thinking about.....

zcyka
02-11-2003, 07:22
At some point, I'm probably going to pose a question about bringing a GPS purchased in the states into Russia and this post is a practice one.... :) :D

Braddock
05-11-2003, 00:47
Yeah... I was looking at those things last time in Frankfurt - look pretty cool - how well would they work? I've gps in my car - but as far as I know it only works in St. Petersburg - and well - the rest of europe!

zcyka
23-11-2003, 03:27
About the GPS you use in St Petersburg...! I just purchased a Garmin GPS V in the states and it's a beauty. I'm thinking Garmin.RU has Moscow, St Pete, etc, maps available and I'd like to bring it into russia in another year when I come over.

Did you purchase yours there or bring it in? I'm wondering about the paperwork on bringing one into Russia - I hear it's not easy, but it has to be done right or there's a chance of spying accusations etc, as was the case a year or two ago with an American engineer.

I should probably shift this out of the practice area!

Missionary
23-11-2003, 11:14
I know the regulations are many, but I would be more concerned about how well it mught work in Moscow. I have travelled all over the US and we used a Garmin. It worked brilliantly in most places, until we got into a city with a lot of big buildings. Because they work from satellites, they don't do very well in cities like New York, etc. The skyscrapers don't allow you to pick up the three satellites that are required for the system to function properly. Our Garmin was rendered virtually useless in New York city. I know that Moscow doesn't have the skyscrapers that New York has, but I still think that this is a valid concern before you worry about the paperwork.