PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Newsweek Photo Essay on Gun Owners

kris
09-08-2007, 23:31
Great portrait of 99% of America's firearm owning public.

Photo Gallery: One Nation, Under Gun (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20058137/displaymode/1107//s/2/framenumber/1)

Ghostly Presence
10-08-2007, 10:08
I especially enjoyed the picture of the young guy sitting in the empty room with nothing but Domino pizza boxes, a couple of assault rifles and handguns. There’s a disaster waiting to happen! Let’s just say, I would not want that kid to make a delivery to my house, although I must admit flaunting a gun must be pretty effective in getting more tips. )) I can understand owning a pistol for self-defense but it beats me why would anyone want to own an AK-47 or an M-16. Must be a redneck thing – normal people wouldn’t understand it.

Digenis Akritas
10-08-2007, 10:21
This American obsession with 'the right to bear arms' is something I'll never understand.

My grandfather is a card-carrying NRA member. The bumper sticker on his Suburban reads, "My idea of gun control is a firm grip". As much as I respect him for other reasons, in this area we just don't see eye to eye.

Ghostly Presence said: Must be a redneck thing – normal people wouldn’t understand it.

But the scary part is when you look at all these photos from the Newsweek article you realize that it's not a 'redneck thing'. We're looking at many middle-class suburban families here, proudly posing for family photographs with automatic weapons.

Ghostly Presence
10-08-2007, 10:47
This American obsession with 'the right to bear arms' is something I'll never understand.

My grandfather is a card-carrying NRA member. The bumper sticker on his Suburban reads, "My idea of gun control is a firm grip". As much as I respect him for other reasons, in this area we just don't see eye to eye.

But the scary part is, when you look at all these photos from the Newsweek article you realize that it's not a 'redneck thing'. We're looking at many middle-class suburban families here, proudly posing for family photographs with automatic weapons.

It is a part of cultural background that defeats logical reasoning - that is all there is to it.

Digenis Akritas
10-08-2007, 10:54
It is a part of cultural background that defeats logical reasoning - that is all there is to it.

Like many elements of American culture, it had it's time and place in our history. The right to own firearms was important in the colonial America and for some time afterwards; it was necessary for hunting, first and foremost, but also was acceptable for the civilian guard and some types of family protection.

But now, I just don't see it as necessary for every law-abiding citizen to have the right to bear arms. I think that the US needs greater restrictions in this area.

Ghostly Presence
10-08-2007, 11:25
Like many elements of American culture, it had it's time and place in our history. The right to own firearms was important in the colonial America and for some time afterwards; it was necessary for hunting, first and foremost, but also was acceptable for the civilian guard and some types of family protection.

But now, I just don't see it as necessary for every law-abiding citizen to have the right to bear arms. I think that the US needs greater restrictions in this area.

Just don't tell that to the NRA members - you might get shot at! ;))

J.D.
10-08-2007, 11:40
The founding fathers had 3 ideas in mind when they put the 2nd amendment in. Neither hunting nor target shooting was one of them. The reasons were for protection from bandits, protection from foreign invasion and protection from one's own government. It is as engrained in many American people as health care is to Canadians. It's not going to go away anytime soon.

Ghostly Presence
10-08-2007, 12:57
The founding fathers had 3 ideas in mind when they put the 2nd amendment in. Neither hunting nor target shooting was one of them. The reasons were for protection from bandits, protection from foreign invasion and protection from one's own government. It is as engrained in many American people as health care is to Canadians. It's not going to go away anytime soon.

I wonder if there is any statistic about how many people get shot in the US on a daily basis country-wide? Has anyone seen any numbers like that?

J.D.
10-08-2007, 16:09
There are lots of such statistics. Shouldn't be too hard to google them. But as Mark Twain said, "There are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies, and statistics." So I'm sure you will find them useful whether you are pro or anti gun.

jheisel
10-08-2007, 16:15
Armed America: Portraits of Gun Owners in Their Homes (http://www.armedamerica.org) is the website of the book this Newsweek article is talking about.

Judge
10-08-2007, 23:17
I know it's a big issue in America about guns in homes and that many people are against gun , even more so because of the shootings at a few schools.I recon it's in americans blood to own guns, this all dates back to the wild west days.
Digenis Akritas makes a good point about this,saying it was part of the american culture and has had its place in history, it had its place but people still think they need to own a gun so they can protect themselves.
Why do people think they need to own a gun?
Maybe americans think ,the police wont protect them and that they need to protect themselves.

Clean32
11-08-2007, 00:18
I donít know.
All my life I have been around guns, or guns have been around me ?
I started when I was about 9 years old and Lambing, the pigs would come out of the bush line and take the lambs and Ewes that were down. 20 gage remi, with solid shot ( like the terminator had). Autumn Remi 308 again for pigs , deer , and goats. ( they do so much damage to the naive bush) .22 browning for Opossums. And a 12 gage, loaded No7 for rabbits. Culling these pests is just apart of farm life.
NE Thailand, SLR (FN40) shortened ( to easy to bend the dam thing) and usually 3 S&W 38 snubs. This was back in the Day when the remits of the PL and KR teamed up to do Rice runs into Thailand ( MOW MOW ) Armalites, colts, AK74 s were just to light and AK47s & SKS are just to old.

Having said all that, what the hell are these yanks doing with that sort of weapons in suburbia and around kids. I think I only saw 2 weapons that could be termed sporting, and a few that were just silly, like the Colt with a 30X sight. Sheesh you couldnít hit a barn door at 500 yards with that so why site it for 800 yards ?? Just ego stuff. I would be interested in how many kids get killed my playing with the family toys in the US.

Packman
11-08-2007, 03:07
I'm from the US and I lean toward greater restrictions on gun ownership. All things considered...there are so many pressing issues the democratic party needs to stand up for...I can wait for them to do something on this because it fractures their coalition.:ninja:

Ghostly Presence
11-08-2007, 09:38
I believe Michael Moore made a good film about this issue – “Bowling for Colombine”. As guys here already pointed out, guns in America are an inseparable part of the US culture and historical background. Besides, holding an AK-47 must give one an intoxicating feeling of security and independence, whether you fear criminals or your own government. I would argue though that this feeling is largely illusory as criminals usually attack too quickly to pull your machine gun out of the closet, while the government… Well, let’s just remember what happened in Waco, TX.

Ghostly Presence
13-08-2007, 09:24
CNN reports this morning that it happened again - some crazed gunman killed several people attending a service at a church. NRA members would probably say that had those God-fearing citizens been packing a pistol during the church ceremonies, the tragedy could have been avoided. ))

fenrir
13-08-2007, 09:50
CNN reports this morning that it happened again - some crazed gunman killed several people attending a service at a church. NRA members would probably say that had those God-fearing citizens been packing a pistol during the church ceremonies, the tragedy could have been avoided. ))

And you are implying that if there were gun restrictions, that this nutcase would not have had a gun. Just like there are no shootings in the UK because the government says you can't have guns (btw, gun crimes are rising sharply there).

fenrir
13-08-2007, 10:00
The news reported that a biker was shot dead in England this weekend. The UK has some of the most restrictive gun laws on the planet. How do you explain this murder?

Biker shot dead near motorcycle convention - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070812/wl_uk_afp/britaincrimeshooting;_ylt=AiQ6M3w8GW6FTMVhpxF9H0B0bBAF)

Ghostly Presence
13-08-2007, 12:26
The news reported that a biker was shot dead in England this weekend. The UK has some of the most restrictive gun laws on the planet. How do you explain this murder?

He shouldn't have come to the bikers' convention on a moped. :)

Zephyr
26-08-2007, 21:24
Well up here in north Idaho, the kind of talk about gun restriction you folks are haveing, would get you bitch slapped by the sherriff.