PDA

View Full Version : Where should I buy inexpensive souveniers?

olgausov
08-08-2007, 17:50
Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to buy inexpensive Russian souveniers in Moscow?
thanks

Digenis Akritas
08-08-2007, 18:02
For reasonably priced souvenirs you should check out Izmailovsky Park (Izmailovskaya). At the weekends there tend to be more vendors and better prices, from my experience.

Buying souvenirs at places like Arbat, near Red Square, or souvenir shops are bound to be much more expensive.

Benedikt
11-08-2007, 11:38
when at the vernisage at ismailovo don't buy right at the beginning, the first four rows. this is a real tourist trap...
go further up and than before the stairs (by the ship) go to the right side, where they sell all the unpainted wood. and inbetween there you find the 'real' russian matrioshkas for a fraction of the price.
on the other hand, i found one set at the Old Arbat, it is (was) one of a kind, and order and than the buyer did not want to pay. he thought he could push down the artist to kopeks and the guy just refused to sell. there is also a thing like pride....
also go up where the 'real' fleamarket is, you can find amazing things there...

AbSoLu
13-08-2007, 17:10
when at the vernisage at ismailovo don't buy right at the beginning, the first four rows. this is a real tourist trap...
go further up and than before the stairs (by the ship) go to the right side, where they sell all the unpainted wood. and inbetween there you find the 'real' russian matrioshkas for a fraction of the price.
on the other hand, i found one set at the Old Arbat, it is (was) one of a kind, and order and than the buyer did not want to pay. he thought he could push down the artist to kopeks and the guy just refused to sell. there is also a thing like pride....
also go up where the 'real' fleamarket is, you can find amazing things there...

Hi Benedikt,

So do you know the exactly address about this fleamarket? I 'd love to go.

Thank you!

svelt
07-10-2007, 16:28
there must still be several fleamarkets there were so many only a decade ago. i read in mt that there is one just north from sameolovski vogzal but i never found it yet. anyone got a list somewhere with some vague directions of any remaining markets???????????????????????????????????????

Benedikt
08-10-2007, 10:24
Hi Benedikt,

So do you know the exactly address about this fleamarket? I 'd love to go.

Thank you!

...dark blue line, (in older Metro plans you still might find it under the name 'Ismailovsky Park') take the last wagon from the center,there is only one exit..
follow the crowd, the big Ismailovsky Hotel complex is on your left, the road goes to the vernisage, you see already the domes and spires of 'old Moscow' some 200 m away...pay 10 Rubles entrance fee, keep the ticket untill you are ready to go home, you might want to leave the areal to check out what happens beyond the gates, and with the entrance ticket they will let you in again...
the bottom part of the vernisage is for 'tourists' only, overpriced poyot watches and matrioshka dolls in all (gaudy) sizes and shapes..buy only if yo urealy see something that you must have and know when amybe coming back a second time it is gone..( it happend to me, i saw a set of 7 elephants made of rose quarz, the only stone i don't have yet. but prohibitive expensive. when eturning after an hour they were gone. that was some 7 years abck and i have never seen a set of elephants made of rosequarz, with the trunks DOWN..)
go up the stairs, on the right yo usee a copy of Peter the Great's first boat..turn left and at the first opportunity between all the stalls where they sell overprized and fake icons, go a few steps down and onto a wooden 'veranda' this is the 'flea market' but don't be deceived and thing the little graniies and dad's that sit there are selling their last spoons and old shoses to make a few kopeks. most of them 'work' there and make a % of the sale.the place is controlled by a few wholesalers who distribute items amongst people who sell them.you notice, if yo uare a regular, as i am since about 15 years, all over sudden you see on every corner the same items, like little bottles, or the same type of tools/ scissors/appliances...
deinitely buy if you like, a 20 % dicount should be possible.
down on the left side where they do all the shashliks, follow the smoke.. it is definitely worth, saafe and recommendable to have a bite to eat. all 5 guys (and girls) have the same assortment and prices, and quality, so pick the one you personally like most. just ask the guy who grills you meat, if it is your preference, not to have it well done.than the shashliks will be a disappointment.
can you find bargains there? yeas it does still happen, very rarte and you realy must know what you are looking for...
I like the place, so have a good time there also!

Spiky
08-10-2007, 14:18
Sparrow Hills

Benedikt
08-10-2007, 14:24
Sparrow Hills

same touristtrap and same junk like the bottom part in ismailovo...

Pobman
08-10-2007, 14:29
For reasonably priced souvenirs you should check out Izmailovsky Park (Izmailovskaya). At the weekends there tend to be more vendors and better prices, from my experience.

Buying souvenirs at places like Arbat, near Red Square, or souvenir shops are bound to be much more expensive.

Be warned Izmailovsky market tends to burn down at least once a year... :) best not go on that day.

people always say buying on Arbat is expensive, but you can haggle there and things really dont have to cost that much... If you live near Old Arbat and dont want to spend time traveling its certainly worth a try.

ronl
13-10-2007, 11:30
on Namyotkina just 200m west of Profsoyuznaya (near metro Novie Chereyomushki) is a shop for souvenirs that has a good selection and since there are prices on all goods, you dont need to negotiate each purchase. this shop used to be very large but half of it was turned into a Sedmoi Kontinent supermarket. In any case the souvenir section that is left is still pretty large and has a good selection beyond the usual kitch. they also have an interesting section of alcoholic drinks made in Russia many of which you won't find in your local supermarket.

(This is also the place with the "panorama of moscow" that was featured in the moscow times 6 months ago when it was being auctioned off. I dont know if it was bought and removed or if it is still there...)

WisconsinHockey13
28-11-2007, 13:24
thanks for sharing you guys, I was wondering where I could get fun souveniers for my friends at home!

MadziaC
29-12-2009, 21:34
...dark blue line, (in older Metro plans you still might find it under the name 'Ismailovsky Park') take the last wagon from the center,there is only one exit..
follow the crowd, the big Ismailovsky Hotel complex is on your left, the road goes to the vernisage, you see already the domes and spires of 'old Moscow' some 200 m away...pay 10 Rubles entrance fee, keep the ticket untill you are ready to go home, you might want to leave the areal to check out what happens beyond the gates, and with the entrance ticket they will let you in again...
the bottom part of the vernisage is for 'tourists' only, overpriced poyot watches and matrioshka dolls in all (gaudy) sizes and shapes..buy only if yo urealy see something that you must have and know when amybe coming back a second time it is gone..( it happend to me, i saw a set of 7 elephants made of rose quarz, the only stone i don't have yet. but prohibitive expensive. when eturning after an hour they were gone. that was some 7 years abck and i have never seen a set of elephants made of rosequarz, with the trunks DOWN..)
go up the stairs, on the right yo usee a copy of Peter the Great's first boat..turn left and at the first opportunity between all the stalls where they sell overprized and fake icons, go a few steps down and onto a wooden 'veranda' this is the 'flea market' but don't be deceived and thing the little graniies and dad's that sit there are selling their last spoons and old shoses to make a few kopeks. most of them 'work' there and make a % of the sale.the place is controlled by a few wholesalers who distribute items amongst people who sell them.you notice, if yo uare a regular, as i am since about 15 years, all over sudden you see on every corner the same items, like little bottles, or the same type of tools/ scissors/appliances...
deinitely buy if you like, a 20 % dicount should be possible.
down on the left side where they do all the shashliks, follow the smoke.. it is definitely worth, saafe and recommendable to have a bite to eat. all 5 guys (and girls) have the same assortment and prices, and quality, so pick the one you personally like most. just ask the guy who grills you meat, if it is your preference, not to have it well done.than the shashliks will be a disappointment.
can you find bargains there? yeas it does still happen, very rarte and you realy must know what you are looking for...
I like the place, so have a good time there also!

I absolutely agree! I was there on Saturday, and it is absolutely fantastic! This is the best place I have found so far, and I know I'll be going back! The sellers were absolutely fantastic, chatting with us and even singing us the song 'Podmoskovnye Vechera' because it was the tune from the music box we were buying.
Check it out, it's great!

TD
29-12-2009, 23:23
There is a store on Arbat not far from the Starbucks and on the same side of the street that sells a decent assortment of stuff...

MissAnnElk
30-12-2009, 00:39
There is a store on Arbat not far from the Starbucks and on the same side of the street that sells a decent assortment of stuff...

Yes, I have also heard that from reliable sources.

robertmf
30-12-2009, 03:13
Yes, I have also heard that from reliable sources.

Happy Holidays to you and Yours. I am very curious about this live theatre you have going on with DB Biscuit. Can you please encourage for a dvd or cd for purchase ? Please put me on mailing list. Спасибо.

Lansdale Center for the Performing Arts: designed to entertain the North Penn region (http://www.lansdalecpa.org)

gnawylime
22-01-2010, 00:19
places a little outside of moscow like sergiev posad tend to have a lot of cheap stuff, too!