PDA

View Full Version : Pre-paid credit cards

Parco
17-03-2011, 12:58
:question:

Does anyone know if you can get pre-paid credit/debit cards in Moscow?

If yes, from where and how?

The type of card where one can pay money to a bank, then receive a numbered cashcard (Visa/Mastercard) with a PIN.

Ian G
17-03-2011, 13:04
They aren't credit cards (as credit means buy now and pay later). They are debit cards. Any bank will give you one. Just open a current account.

ilya25
17-03-2011, 19:44
:question:

Does anyone know if you can get pre-paid credit/debit cards in Moscow?

If yes, from where and how?

The type of card where one can pay money to a bank, then receive a numbered cashcard (Visa/Mastercard) with a PIN.

Pls let me clarify. I don't think that pre-paid cards are issued by Russian banks at all. In order to get a card you need to have an account with a bank (either debit or credit)

If you want to have your own money on a card you need to open a bank account to which the card will be attached. This mean for example that you can wire funds to that account and they will be available for withdawal with your card

Pre-paid cards are issued by shops where you can buy stuff using the cards

Ruth123
17-03-2011, 21:10
Pls let me clarify. I don't think that pre-paid cards are issued by Russian banks at all. In order to get a card you need to have an account with a bank (either debit or credit)

If you want to have your own money on a card you need to open a bank account to which the card will be attached. This mean for example that you can wire funds to that account and they will be available for withdawal with your card

Pre-paid cards are issued by shops where you can buy stuff using the cards
I don't know if it depends on your visa - but for me, on student visa its registration (registration) and the verified translation of the passport (not the whole thing of course, but the page with pic and data.)
But, i use NLB and Societe General debit cards issued in Montenegro perfectly fine in Russia.

Parco
17-03-2011, 22:43
Thanks for the info, but I'm referring to a new phenomenon in Europe, whereby main banks issue a VISA (or Mastercard) debit card, which you can top-up and give to someone as a gift. A bit like a gift voucher, only the recipient can either withdraw the cash via an ATM using the PIN number, or pay for a gift of their choice in any shop that accepts VISA/Mastercard.

More info
Visa: http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/prepaid.aspx
Mastercard: http://www.mastercard.com/uk/personal/en/findacard/prepaidnew/index.html

Ruth123
18-03-2011, 00:04
Thanks for the info, but I'm referring to a new phenomenon in Europe, whereby main banks issue a VISA (or Mastercard) debit card, which you can top-up and give to someone as a gift.
Ohh, that's nice!!! :p
I don't know though whether they have it in Russia... if anyone, i think tvadim might know, will ask him to check out this thread.

tvadim133
18-03-2011, 11:34
Ohh, that's nice!!! :p
I don't know though whether they have it in Russia... if anyone, i think tvadim might know, will ask him to check out this thread.

I have got 4-5 messages from Reiffeseng Bank with this option (this bank is more suitable for me and from the point of view of cards, rates and foreigners).

The only thing is that I doubt that the credit card-gift can be passed to any "people" (corruption), but relatives (at least, I was explained, that I can give it to my parents, a sister and even a niece as a gift).

Parco
18-03-2011, 11:56
OK, I guess I'll have to stick with Western Union :thumbdwn: to send money to my friend in Belarus.

It's just not a nice way of giving someone a present :pressie: of their choice, to make them go to a bank and fill out X amount of forms :rules: to receive the payment.

:pressie:

ilya25
18-03-2011, 18:46
I have got 4-5 messages from Reiffeseng Bank with this option (this bank is more suitable for me and from the point of view of cards, rates and foreigners).

The only thing is that I doubt that the credit card-gift can be passed to any "people" (corruption), but relatives (at least, I was explained, that I can give it to my parents, a sister and even a niece as a gift).

Reiffeseng Bank in Russia? I hear first time that Russian banks can issue cards not linked to the account. If possible can you pls refer to that offering on their site or somehow else publish it? thanks

Myst_if
19-03-2011, 22:24
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but:

I give a bank my money
They hold it until I spend it
They don't pay me interest
They charge me fees for holding my money. To accept my money in the first place, additional fees to hold it every month, ...
If the card is lost or stolen, my money is GONE

Hmmmmm ........

Good for laundering money, but ...

tvadim133
19-03-2011, 22:39
Reiffeseng Bank in Russia? I hear first time that Russian banks can issue cards not linked to the account. If possible can you pls refer to that offering on their site or somehow else publish it? thanks

It is a credit card option.

May be I did not understand your question, but I have got the offers via e-mail (to open a credit card for relatives (parents) as a gift (but I will be responsible for the payments for credits) and I do have other cards of this bank.

I can not attach this offer, but if you call them, probably you will get this information.

MickeyTong
19-03-2011, 22:40
A Banker, an Ordinary Joe and an Immigrant are having tea and biscuits. There are 12 biscuits on a plate.
The Banker grabs 11 biscuits, leans over to Joe and whispers: "Watch out for that foreign bstaard! He wants your biscuit...."

ilya25
19-03-2011, 23:57
It is a credit card option.

May be I did not understand your question, but I have got the offers via e-mail (to open a credit card for relatives (parents) as a gift (but I will be responsible for the payments for credits) and I do have other cards of this bank.

I can not attach this offer, but if you call them, probably you will get this information.

probably they are are offering you to issue additional cards connected to your account. Those cards can be used by your relatives

Prepaid cards are the ones that don't require the account, and as I understand they are not issued by Russian banks due to specifics of our legislation

Parco
21-03-2011, 10:23
Prepaid cards are the ones that don't require the account, and as I understand they are not issued by Russian banks due to specifics of our legislation

A shame. Maybe the Russian govenment can change this legislation as quickly as they changed registration legislation!?

OK, I'm dreaming, but would be nice if one day it was reality.

ilya25
22-03-2011, 22:55
A shame. Maybe the Russian govenment can change this legislation as quickly as they changed registration legislation!?

OK, I'm dreaming, but would be nice if one day it was reality.

but I did a small google search and actually there are companies selling pre-paid cards of US banks online here. Not sure if one can trust to such "businessmen" but you can try your luck :)