PDA

View Full Version : Martpark is in the Hot Seat!

Ruth123
15-03-2011, 21:17
I'd like to thank Flakey for having chosen me as her victim... eghh, pardon, i meant - guest! :D

Its about the time to announce the next person in the Hot Seat and ask them everything we always wanted to know (but were afraid to ask ;) )

*Ruth is fluffing up the cushions *

Welcome Martpark!

Here are couple of questions for the start:

1. How long have you been living in Russia?

2. What's your favorite food?

3. What's your favorite time of the year?

Thank you for being in the hot seat! :)

FlakeySnowballer
15-03-2011, 21:23
Where are you from?

martpark
15-03-2011, 21:42
I'd like to thank Flakey for having chosen me as her victim... eghh, pardon, i meant - guest! :D

Its about the time to announce the next person in the Hot Seat and ask them everything we always wanted to know (but were afraid to ask ;) )

*Ruth is fluffing up the cushions *

Welcome Martpark!

Here are couple of questions for the start:

1. How long have you been living in Russia?

2. What's your favorite food?

3. What's your favorite time of the year?

Thank you for being in the hot seat! :)

Cheers Ruth for being so hospitable and for answering so succinctly last week. I'll try my best to honour the hot seat.

1. I've been here 2.5 years I think.

2. A fine question. I like a good risotto al funghi out on the town and at home I like to stir fry veggies.

3. I like 'cycling' weather....if you can ride a bike then the weather's ok by me.

Thanks!

martpark
15-03-2011, 21:45
Where are you from?

I was born in England and grew up in the northeast of the USA. Lived in Spain for a decade.

Thanks for the question.

FatAndy
15-03-2011, 23:59
If you like bicycle, where are your favorite places in Moscow for it?

martpark
16-03-2011, 00:13
Mountain bike?
Road bike?
Both?

I've had them all. A Specialized mountain bike. An old Peugeot road bike. And a few Dahon folding bikes which I used in Barcelona throughout the year, all of which were stolen. A hot commodity in Spain.

martpark
16-03-2011, 00:15
If you like bicycle, where are your favorite places in Moscow for it?

Sadly, I don't have the space for a bike here but there are plenty of places nearby to cycle, so it may happen in the future.

FlakeySnowballer
16-03-2011, 09:46
Have you ever tried snowboarding?

xSnoofovich
16-03-2011, 14:21
Would you, being British and all, care to comment on your fellow countryman's recent statements:

The English county of Midsomer is rural, picturesque, astonishingly murder-prone and completely white.

It's also fictional, the setting for "Midsomer Murders," a TV series that has run for 14 years, offering a steady diet of violent crimes in leafy lanes and villages, all reassuringly solved by avuncular Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby.

Now Midsomer's cozy world has been rocked, and its producer suspended Tuesday, after he said that the show "wouldn't work" if there were any non-white people in the cast....

Although we can see that....

True-May's equation of "English" with "white" was strongly condemned by some, but defended by others, who say he is simply telling it like it is: the vast majority of non-white Britons - who make up about 8 percent of the total population - live in cities or suburbs.

martpark
16-03-2011, 15:14
Have you ever tried snowboarding?

No, I haven't but I've tried skiing a few times.

martpark
16-03-2011, 15:21
Would you, being British and all, care to comment on your fellow countryman's recent statements:

The English county of Midsomer is rural, picturesque, astonishingly murder-prone and completely white.

It's also fictional, the setting for "Midsomer Murders," a TV series that has run for 14 years, offering a steady diet of violent crimes in leafy lanes and villages, all reassuringly solved by avuncular Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby.

Now Midsomer's cozy world has been rocked, and its producer suspended Tuesday, after he said that the show "wouldn't work" if there were any non-white people in the cast....

Although we can see that....

True-May's equation of "English" with "white" was strongly condemned by some, but defended by others, who say he is simply telling it like it is: the vast majority of non-white Britons - who make up about 8 percent of the total population - live in cities or suburbs.

TV mystery writers don't really interest me. You could ask my parents. They live for the stuff.

FlakeySnowballer
16-03-2011, 22:32
What is the best podcasts for English and Spanish studying?

martpark
16-03-2011, 23:35
What is the best podcasts for English and Spanish studying?

I like the BBC ones....there are many. 6 Minute English is good for English learners. Also Freakonomics and Technology from the NY Times are interesting. There are a ton, so keep exploring.

Spanish podcasts are probably best from El Pais (newspaper) and El Jueves, (satire magazine). Cervantes Institute probably has many but I've never checked. I only listen to football ones, El Marca and Sport.

sweetfart
17-03-2011, 05:34
Have you ever tripped and fell in front of a large group of people? If so, how did you react?

martpark
17-03-2011, 07:12
Have you ever tripped and fell in front of a large group of people? If so, how did you react?

I did. Going up the upper tier of the Meadowlands Arena during a NJ Devils game. Not many people would have noticed but a 'friend' pointed it out for those who missed it. I smiled and kept my eyes to the ground.

Cheers.

Ulyana.de.fine
17-03-2011, 08:52
Hey Martpark!
Whats your fondest memory / experience of all times and what is your worst?
Also whats your best and worst song / piece of music?
Most irritating person?

FlakeySnowballer
17-03-2011, 11:39
What does "passive knowing of language" mean in your opinion?

martpark
18-03-2011, 01:07
Hey Martpark!
Whats your fondest memory / experience of all times and what is your worst?
Also whats your best and worst song / piece of music?
Most irritating person?

Hmmm...good questions.

I think it was in Portugal, my first time working abroad. Although my luggage was somewhere, with Charles De Gaulle, I didn't care much ,as they put me up in a small hotel. The sun was shining bright in October and I was dining on the balcony, without a care in the world for a few days until work started.

By far the worst was the death of my brother's best friend, who had some mysterious flu-like illness and was put into an induced coma and then succumbed. He was 21.

The best 'popular' song, 'Like A Rolling Stone', Bobby Dylan. From the beginning "Once upon a time/you dressed so fine..." to the improvised organ throughout. It's a modern masterpiece. YouTube - Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone (ORIGINAL)

Worst popular song...'MacArthur's Park', "Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don't think that I can take it/'Cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe again".
YouTube - JIMMY WEBB - RICHARD HARRIS - MacArthur Park

At the moment...most irritating....Sarah Palin

martpark
18-03-2011, 01:11
What does "passive knowing of language" mean in your opinion?

A 'passive knowledge of a language' is when a person knows a few words or expressions of a language unintentionally, or without studying it. Most Russians know 2 alphabets, one passively. Not really true for other parts of Europe.

Ruth123
18-03-2011, 02:30
What's your star sign? :)

BrandonL
18-03-2011, 10:35
blonde, brunette, or redhead?

martpark
18-03-2011, 14:15
What's your star sign? :)

I am a Pisces, of course.

martpark
18-03-2011, 14:19
blonde, brunette, or redhead?

I love them all equally.

Ruth123
18-03-2011, 17:32
If you could take only one book to the deserted island, which book would it be?

martpark
18-03-2011, 17:52
If you could take only one book to the deserted island, which book would it be?

I'd probably take 'Leaves of Grass', Walt Whitman. An unusual book of poems, in that he continually added works so it never stood static. A lot of different concepts and styles to keep me amused and a lot of vocabulary to keep me wondering.

A snippet:

I have heard what the talkers were talking, the talk of the beginning and the end
But I do not talk of the beginning or the end.
There was never any more inception than there is now,
Nor any more youth or age than there is now,
And will never be any more perfection than there is now,
Nor any more heaven or hell than there is now.

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~wldciv/world_civ_reader/world_civ_reader_2/whitman.html

2ndWind
18-03-2011, 19:33
Is your avatar a reflection of your existential anguish or . . .?

To me it seems eerily similar to Munch's painting "The Scream".

http://oaks.nvg.org/p/muskrim.jpg

More scream versions at: http://oaks.nvg.org/an3ra2.html

martpark
18-03-2011, 19:43
Is your avatar a reflection of your existential anguish or . . .?

To me it seems eerily similar to Munch's painting "The Scream".

http://oaks.nvg.org/p/muskrim.jpg

More scream versions at: http://oaks.nvg.org/an3ra2.html

That's me monitoring the situation on Expat. Actually, I like those old fashioned toys and I'm sure the boy was ecstatic to have that contraption. Looks like he has badminton birdies for eyes though.

Matt24
18-03-2011, 20:00
Could you ever throw the switch to activate the electric chair, what crime would your 'victim' have to be guilty of, as a minimum, to make this chore more palatable?

Body piercings how many and why/why not?

Which present day country, could the world most benefit from, from it's non existence?

Global warming fact or fiction?

Greatest living human?

Greatest human so far?

Favourite ice cream flavor?

Thanks

Matt

martpark
18-03-2011, 21:41
Could you ever throw the switch to activate the electric chair, what crime would your 'victim' have to be guilty of, as a minimum, to make this chore more palatable?
I'm not a firm believer in state killing, so I would have to pass.

Body piercings how many and why/why not?
I don't mind them on people (other than those ones hanging out the nostrils) but prefer people in their natural form.

Which present day country, could the world most benefit from, from it's non existence?
All countries/cultures have something to offer, though Greenland has been getting on my nerves lately. False advertising and all that.

Global warming fact or fiction?
It's a fact for me. I think every national scientific agency on the planet agrees in anthropomorphic climate change.
"Man thinks ícause he rules the earth he can do with it as he please
And if things donít change soon, he will." Bobby D.

Greatest living human?
I like Bobby Dylan. Style, sound, wit.

Greatest human so far?
I'll go with Helen Keller, someone who was not much remembered for the things she did but the things she overcame. Though she did more things than most people realise, including graduating from university, fighting for social justice and opposing war and introducing the Akita dog to North America.

Favourite ice cream flavor?
Bubble gum from Dick and Junes's, Pride's Crossing, Massachusetts. Willy has been there too.
Thanks

Matt

Cheers. I had to crank the brain up an extra notch for those ones.

Ulyana.de.fine
18-03-2011, 23:53
Where does Martpark (alias) come from?

BrandonL
19-03-2011, 13:07
Ok I have two questions for you;

Question 1
If a homosexual man, jumped on your back...would you beat him off?

Question 2
What is your view on the UN resolution of the no fly zone, and how the promised action, yet have done nothing in almost 24 hours?

martpark
19-03-2011, 21:55
Where does Martpark (alias) come from?

Nothing exotic. Variation on a name.

martpark
19-03-2011, 22:25
Ok I have two questions for you;

Question 1
If a homosexual man, jumped on your back...would you beat him off? Dunno. Any tips from your vast experience? :nerd:

Question 2
What is your view on the UN resolution of the no fly zone, and how the promised action, yet have done nothing in almost 24 hours?[/QUOTE]

I think our friend Gadaffi immediately said there was a ceasefire. Whether that holds true remains to be seen. I think the 'rebels' would have been massacred for daring to protest their dear leader of 40 years. It's a step up from Iraq and Afghanistan, where they had no UN backing. Maybe a case of old friends settling scores also.