PDA

View Full Version : Skiing in Russia - would you go to Dombai?

matti
03-03-2011, 11:51
Hi, I wanted to go skiing this weekend.. unfortunately it appears that Sochi is already booked out, so I am thinking where else to go. Would you go to Dombai in the current situtation? Anything else that you can recommend? Good freeride would be an advantage but anything which makes a nice trip will do.

Thanks a lot for any recommendations.

tasel
03-03-2011, 12:14
I heard its a nice place, but myself have never been there. Usually they recommend to go in april or may. Just check before you plan.

matti
03-03-2011, 15:58
I have seen the photos, it looks like a beautiful are. However, I am more concerned about the safety situation, any army operations etc. if anyone had any first hand information...

Gekko
07-03-2011, 09:58
Have been there some three years ago. The place was nice, mountains beautiful and they had even a new gondola from the village. Some nice off-piste possibilities as well. However, take your own gear with you since the skis and snowboards they used to rent there (3 years ago) were of no use. For weekend trip I would consider the distance to be the main challenge. We flew to Mineralnye Vodi and from there it was still a quite a trip to get to Dombai. I don't know whether there are more comfortable options as well. But in general, if you have more than 2 days to spend, I would recommend it. Cannot say much about the current safety situation though... If you need some more advice feel free to PM me.

tvadim133
07-03-2011, 11:58
I liked very much, though I was there several years ago as well.

I can not say, that the area is fully developed (developing very fast).

I understand that after the terrorist attack this or previous month, Police closed the area untill a local terrorists band are found

May be I am mistaken, it is worth contacting a travel agency.

matti
08-03-2011, 23:05
I liked very much, though I was there several years ago as well.

I can not say, that the area is fully developed (developing very fast).

I understand that after the terrorist attack this or previous month, Police closed the area untill a local terrorists band are found

May be I am mistaken, it is worth contacting a travel agency.

Thanks - from what I was able to gather from the internet, they closed the Elbrus area, not Dombai... but who knows, there does not seem to be much information. Anyway, the planes flying there looked quite dodgy so all together it looked too risky and we decided put it off until a better time, and stick with Maslenica and cross-coutry skiing.

However, if anyone has any recent experience with the safety situation in Caucaus, I would like to hear it anytime...

pacmany2002
15-03-2011, 21:17
It is not the safest place to go now!