PDA

View Full Version : Atyrau?

Parco
02-03-2011, 13:06
:question:
I'm sure I'm not the only one to think this, strange as nobody has ever posted about it ...can anyone recommend a site where the KZ expats in Atyrau chat?

If only there was an expat(dot)kz website :idea:

- Google searches yield out-dated websites with 'recent' posts from ~2009.
- Searching for 'Atyrau' on this site yields no results at all.
- Any ideas???

swift
16-05-2011, 21:53
I doubt there would be a website specifically for Atyrau expats. Most of the expat crowd there are just passing through so I am not sure anyone has ever got round to setting up a forum.

FatAndy
18-05-2011, 21:52
Atyrau, aka Goor'ev http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90%D1%82%D1%8B%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%83
It is not so big village to have separate expat site, indeed (231K habitants), so very probably you'll be in the first 5 of expats there ;)

Akmaral
19-05-2011, 10:23
hi there) you can go to expat-blog.com and find a destination you need. there are lots of topics on atyray and kazakhstan in genereal)

AndrewUSA
19-05-2011, 10:31
no need for any expat blogs. Ask the hotel to direct you to the Guns and Roses..thats all you really need. from there, you will be directed into the correct directon by other expats, and others...

Parco
19-05-2011, 12:28
Atyrau, aka Goor'ev. [snip] It is not so big village to have separate expat site, indeed (231K habitants), so very probably you'll be in the first 5 of expats there ;)

Actually, I went there for the first time last week :plane: and there were loads of expats in bars like; O'Reilly's, Guns & Roses, and Champions Bar (Renaissance Hotel).

Especially on Friday after work - it resembled Katie's or Silver's in Moscow. :beerbros:

AndrewUSA
19-05-2011, 12:40
Akmaral...Kalaisin'. Kak dela?

What city of KZ are you from?

Akmaral
19-05-2011, 12:54
Salem Andrew) I am in Astana)

Parco
19-05-2011, 13:02
Salem Andrew) I am in Astana)

And you are posting in a forum thread about Atyrau? :question:

Akmaral
19-05-2011, 13:06
That's because I couldn't make a new thread at that moment

AndrewUSA
19-05-2011, 13:08
yes i would have PMed also, but her post count is to low...

Akmaral, get your post count up a little more, then PM me your skype. Ya v'Astany sevodna sobirayus. URAAA!!!!

FatAndy
19-05-2011, 18:17
Really?!
What do they do there??? 8)))) - loads of...

Actually, I went there for the first time last week :plane: and there were loads of expats in bars like; O'Reilly's, Guns & Roses, and Champions Bar (Renaissance Hotel).

Especially on Friday after work - it resembled Katie's or Silver's in Moscow. :beerbros:

FatAndy
19-05-2011, 18:24
Пост о поиске работы перенесён в отдельную ветку. Желаю всяческих успехов! ;)

That's because I couldn't make a new thread at that moment

Parco
20-05-2011, 10:18
Really?!
What do they do there??? 8)))) - loads of...

Oil and gas (TCO, NCPOC and AGIP KCO are the main companies out there).

I met more Scots over there than I have in the whole time I've been in Moscow. :beerbros:

:fridaysign:

FatAndy
20-05-2011, 11:21
Hope Atyrau is still on the place after it? ;)

I met more Scots over there than I have in the whole time I've been in Moscow. :beerbros:

:fridaysign:

Parco
05-09-2011, 13:01
from 3 months in Atyrau and here's what I know about the place.

First and foremost, it is not as dangerous as travel guides and blogs make it out to be. Yes, for sure its not safe/recommended to be walking out alone at night, especially in the more unlit of streets but then that is true of pretty much anywhere in the world, including Switzerland.

The place to find foreigners is... :beerbros:

O'Neill's (Irish) Bar:
- located in Chagalla hotel complex
- Happy Hour (50% off beer) from 6pm to 8pm (Fri & Sat)

Hugo's:
- located on Azzatyk Avenue (near Tengri Hotel)
- Happy Hour (50% off beer) from 6pm to 8pm (Weds)

Gun's & Roses
- located in Ak Zhaik hotel
- only gets busy very late (midnight onwards)

As for accommodation agencies, there are a few but I used Kvartirnoe Bureau on Satpaeva ulitsa bldg.50. They have a huge selection of quality serviced apartments. Prices start from 6,000KZT per night. Excellent value compared to the cheapest hotel, Green Hotel at 17,000KZT per night.

The best supermarket (and most expensive) is Ramstore located in Ardager area on Satpaeva (opposite Kazakhstan hotel).

Taxis are easy and are foreigner friendly, although many don't speak English. The price of a taxi anywhere in the city is 400KZT, the only exception being 500KZT to the airport. Late at night, I'd advise paying 500KZT anyway, just to avoid any problems. No need to negotiate the price, its a well-known fact that this is the price of a taxi. If you work for Agip/NCPOC/WorleyParsons etc then you'll never have to worry about this as transport is provided for staff.

The area known as Avantgard (especially Avantgard 4) is not a safe area and it is advisable to always take a taxi from your door and never walk in this area. Even the locals say this isn't a safe place to be. The bar, Bavarius, is in this area which is an expensive but worthwhile place to go (Face Control).

I lived for 3 months in a private apartment (outside the compounds) and didn't experience any hassle.

One word of warning, the internet connection in Atyrau isn't great and there is insufficient bandwidth at weekends when everyone is on the internet at the same time.

If anyone has any questions about Atyrau, please memo me.