PDA

View Full Version : pronunciation HELP

kdt628
25-02-2011, 21:56
Friends...

I'm in town for 6 weeks teaching some students at the Russian Theater Academy an American musical. They are singing in English, but speaking the dialogue in Russian.

I am having the most impossible time teaching three specific vowels:

'I' - as in: win or musIc

uh - as in: won or son or WONder

err - as in girl or unDERneath

Any advice as to how to best convey this sound from you Russian/English speakers (or anyone else) would be GREATLY appreciated.

I tried first the 'repeat after me' tactic. Then I tried get them to feel where the sound was coming from. Some of the kids get it, but a few just simply don't.

In the end, it isn't that important that they produce perfect English, but I at least need to try. And I'm failing.

Please help an American brother out.

Thanks.

Kevin

Willy
25-02-2011, 22:34
If you've had singing lessons you would know it's how you shape you're mouth and/or place you're tongue.

For W you need to make like you're kissing someone. It seems more likely they ain't getting the W right.

As for the R just go rrrrrrrrr like you're dog.

The I try just saying ick.

You break it down and then put it back togther.

If your still trouble PM me, I'll come by and do it in person.

I've helped singing before.

tvadim133
26-02-2011, 02:15
Friends...

I'm in town for 6 weeks teaching some students at the Russian Theater Academy an American musical. They are singing in English, but speaking the dialogue in Russian.

I am having the most impossible time teaching three specific vowels:

'I' - as in: win or musIc

uh - as in: won or son or WONder

err - as in girl or unDERneath

Any advice as to how to best convey this sound from you Russian/English speakers (or anyone else) would be GREATLY appreciated.

I tried first the 'repeat after me' tactic. Then I tried get them to feel where the sound was coming from. Some of the kids get it, but a few just simply don't.

In the end, it isn't that important that they produce perfect English, but I at least need to try. And I'm failing.

Please help an American brother out.

Thanks.

Kevin

May be it can help:

1. I= can not help, because I did not get you. You mean how to tell them that there are different the longitude of the vowel?

May be following words can help you as for "i" - старик vs киви

мальчик vs сидр

That is under the strees russian "i" sound a bit longer. in part of the words without stress "i" is very short like in English.

2. Wonder, win

there is a russian У. So you must make some short excercises with: уИ, уЭ, уА, уO,уЫ

to make students:

1 repeat them 10 times;
2. to make stress on the second vowels untill they "feel" how to pronounce;
3. they should shout "Уa", "Yo" and make it to be very energetic (at the same time to make them memorize the sound, they need to make a jesture as if the through smth (disgusting) way).

If they are students of theatre academy, they know the excersise with "bi, be, ba, bu, by", when people are trained to pronounce consonants clearly.

The exerсise with "YO" is build on the same principle.

Explain that "w" here is more "a consonant" than a vowel (fro Russian poin of view).

another example: let them to express how swines "cries".

3.ER - quite difficult, but they are future actors so:

1. make them to open their mouth as if they need to pronounce russian "O"
2. they need to start sining "O"
3. then they need their upзer lip to "bend tuck in" upeer theeth (withough stopping singing O;
3. then they need to start singing "Э" (like english "ded"

Then repeat the execirse several times

In 10 minutes they will probably understand the sound.

At the end with the final articulation they can ad B, P, G, S to these exercise.