PDA

View Full Version : cheating at petrol stations, black list

Benedikt
24-02-2011, 15:31
since i am not driving a car ( my wife is...) i did not pay to much attention at first to the news item on today's 2 pm news. Apparently at nearly every(?) fuel pump there is cheating going on. and it can be for up to 2 liters:eek: per 10 lt.. gas pumped. 1 ltr for sure is lost every time at EVERY station. that is the amount that stays in the hose that goes from the pump to your tank. and the longer the hose, the more is left in there. there is a blacklist of stations, my wife said it is 41, where one should stay away from. (sorry here motorists help out please and post the link please). it does not say which petrol is being pumped there, (BP,TNK or so) just the name of the company.

Matt24
24-02-2011, 19:27
since i am not driving a car ( my wife is...) i did not pay to much attention at first to the news item on today's 2 pm news. Apparently at nearly every(?) fuel pump there is cheating going on. and it can be for up to 2 liters:eek: per 10 lt.. gas pumped. 1 ltr for sure is lost every time at EVERY station. that is the amount that stays in the hose that goes from the pump to your tank. and the longer the hose, the more is left in there. there is a blacklist of stations, my wife said it is 41, where one should stay away from. (sorry here motorists help out please and post the link please). it does not say which petrol is being pumped there, (BP,TNK or so) just the name of the company.

As a chemist not a physicist, I claim no real expertise in the matter, but surely on the principle of syphons and pressurised systems, the only person who should lose out is the purchaser of the first portion of petrol served, when what goes through the counter is delivered to fill the pipe and then fill the car - subsequent purchasers will receive, what was already in the pipe plus what goes through the counter less what is required to refill the pipe - or pretty much what went through the counter - the only way that everybody gets screwed is if the whole length of house is raised above the outlet point on the pump, and gravity empties the pipe back into the pump, which you can do equally well - when the pump stops pumping, keep the trigger open and hold the pipe in the air and let gravity empty it, I think......from experience the housing for the nozzle while not in use is always below the output point, also I think bunker safety principles would dictate that a non return valve on the pump would be a requisite, so struggling to believe the physics of the con, sorry.

Matt

The 1 litre con is much more lightly to be based around recalibrated counters, our delivery vehicle has a 100 litre fuel capacity, and regularly we are able (not from a completely empty state) to fill her to considerably more than 100 "gas station litres", much more than would be accounted for by the vehicles fuel loading pipe.

Benedikt
24-02-2011, 20:45
i saw a clip on the news and was only listening with half an ear.in the beginning. but then i listened in and also several motorists claimed that they got different milage when filling up at different stations, meaning that the amount of gas was not the same. i know the argument will come up now, more standing in the traffic jam, and other factors, i think a driver knows his car...
what is in the pipe, i do not know, do they have a return valve or not,the expert on tv said no...

solntse
26-02-2011, 08:13
Can check stations on http://goodfuel.ru/ and write your feedbacks. On a general way use only oil from "majors" and avoid small brands or places without brand (!)