24-02-2011, 07:53
Alexey Navalny -

A Russian with courage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/23/russia-whistleblower-corruption

Joe Kilroy
24-02-2011, 11:23
This guy is gonna end up "missing".

that's why he's brave.

Reminds me of stories I heard of Russian soldiers who threw themselves on top of grenades to save other people. This is what comes to my mind when I think of "the Russian man", a heroic soldier who is ready to sacrifice his own life for his people without a care for himself. I think all Russian men are capable of it, but it's rare to see someone like Navalny. A true hero. A mongoose in a box of snakes.

On "Army Day" (or 'Man's Day') I think Russians should be proud that they have men like Navalny amongst them. The men who get their heads blown off from behind for trying to do what a man should do. He is a giant, in the spirit of Mayakovsky and other Russian heroes.

Ian G
24-02-2011, 11:36
I agree - he's a brave man. After all- the reason Sergey Magnitsky was arrested was because of his investigations in Interior ministry corruption. And look what happened to him.

I really think the safest way to fight corruption is to use the Internet and publish compromising information anonymously. The wikipedia model, if you like. I have a lot of respect for people who are prepared to do so openly, like Navalny. Or Julian Assange, for example.

Joe Kilroy
24-02-2011, 12:07
I agree - he's a brave man. After all- the reason Sergey Magnitsky was arrested was because of his investigations in Interior ministry corruption. And look what happened to him.

I really think the safest way to fight corruption is to use the Internet and publish compromising information anonymously. The wikipedia model, if you like. I have a lot of respect for people who are prepared to do so openly, like Navalny. Or Julian Assange, for example.

Nobody wants to see good people assassinated. But I don't think the anonymous way is the Russian way. Theyr'e just not like that. I read an amusing story once where it was said that Russians were born with a genetic defect : they lack the gene responsible for ' fear'. I tend to agree with that but I don't see it as a defect. It's the reason I came to Russia in the first place, because it was a land of giants. I think as people we all need an example, someone brave enough to lead the way, and if we see their bravery, we 're ready to follow them. I think we evolved this way.

You can't reach Russians through words, but only by example. I think that in these times, only men like Navalny can inspire Russians to reach inside themselves and believe that things can change. Look at what is happening in the Arab dictatorships now, people are starting to believe in their power to stand up against corrupt leaders. Russians are just as capable as they are, they just need an "iskra" (spark) , brave men like Navalny.

There is such apathy and cynicism and dull fear in Russia these days. Like Navalny said..." how can a man watch while all this corruption is going on and not do anything about it? ". I think, for men like him, that it's not worth living if the life and soul of your country is polluted by such low cynical values and corruption. It's better to die than live like a cowed slave. I think this kind of attitude gives men like Navalny self-respect. They will at least die knowing they tried. They will have died the Russian way , as heroes.