PDA

View Full Version : Moving family to Moscow from US

stidra
23-02-2011, 19:07
We are a family of five Danes very likely to relocate from Washington DC to Moscow this summer. My husband is with the World Bank. We have tons of questions and hope someone on this forum can help!

First of all we are daunted by the task of figuring out the logistics of international schools, housing and commute to work downtown.

Would like our children (6 and 8 years) to be enrolled in the Anglo-American School as they are now in the American school system, but are worried about people saying that there are looong waiting lists and it is impossible to find rentals in the gated communities nearby - is this really the case?
(Yes we would love to live in an apartment in the "real" Moscow, but am thinking that a gated international community would make the transition from Northwest DC and the kids everyday life much easier to start with)

What about commute to Moscow - are there shuttles that could take us to the metro or is a car (with chauffeur?) necessary?

We will both be working fulltime and are looking for a fulltime nanny as we also have a 1 year old. Any advice? (Have had G5s in the US from Denmark as we wanted the children to be bilingual, but would consider a Russian nanny (language) or American (transition - culture) or a nanny from South East Asia who would be interested in staying with us for a longer period (stability)).

Have many more questions, but will start with this.

Any advice/info very appreciated.

Thanks!

Stidra

MickeyTong
23-02-2011, 20:09
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find that whatever question you have, on any subject, there is someone here who will give you a good answer.

Unfortunately, schools, accommodation, chauffeurs and nannies are not my forte.

I will be back
24-02-2011, 13:30
First of all we are daunted by the task of figuring out the logistics of international schools, housing and commute to work downtown.

What about commute to Moscow - are there shuttles that could take us to the metro or is a car (with chauffeur?) necessary?

Have many more questions, but will start with this.

Any advice/info very appreciated.

Thanks!

Stidra

Hi Stidra,
hope you're doing well. Like in every big city in Moscow you should prefer metro because there are bloody jams on the streets. Maybe to drive to suburb you'll need a car.
Moscow has an area of 1000 square kilometers or even more. And deliver kids to another part of city it is biiiig problem. My kids go to the school close to my home and I'm happy I spend minimum time to accompany them.
Happily this school is the best school on school district.

stidra
24-02-2011, 19:53
Thanks so much for your replies. What school does your children go to and what neighborhood would you recommend?
I am now also looking at the International School of Moscow - any experiences?

tvadim133
24-02-2011, 20:04
Just an example:

http://themoscownews.com/local/20080828/55343673.html?referfrommn

the school

http://www.aas.ru/

It is on beregovaya street so, it is worth living:

in Strogino (m.Schukinskaya, M. Tushinskaya, M.Strogino)!

But besides, a lot depends upon the location of your officies.

Though it is about 20 minutes from M.Shukinskaya to the centre of Moscow by Metro.

I will be back
25-02-2011, 16:31
My kids go to secondary school tested by Oxford Uni сlose to st.Vodny Stadion
http://sch1315.narod.ru/
study 2 languages: first English (required subject) and the second by choose. But they study it as foreign languages, all of remainder subjects in Russian.

markusha
25-02-2011, 17:45
ISM is an excellent school using the British curriculum. I have two children there. Definitely worth considering, but there are no expat gated communities nearby that I am aware of.

Russian_Teacher
24-03-2011, 10:19
I can offer you Russian lessons. I am professional teacher of Russian as a foreign language.