PDA

View Full Version : Paratroopers Go Wild for Holiday

Clean32
04-08-2007, 01:28
Donít get me wrong I think that all Vets should be well respected, but there are a couple of comments below that peeked my interest.

Firstly why is an army so important to Russia? I mean who is going to attack Russia any way ?? Surly the money could be better spent on housing and roads etc.

LOL the cops telling drivers to slow down to avoided the drunks LOL only in Russia

Paratroopers Go Wild for Holiday
By David Nowak
Staff Writer http://www.moscowtimes.ru/images/empty.gif

http://www.moscowtimes.ru/images/empty.gif
Thousands of young men in blue berets and striped T-shirts brought chaos to parts of Moscow on Thursday, Paratroopers Day.
Despite the miserable weather, several hundred paratroopers turned out for the official celebrations, which culminated in a concert on Red Square. Most, however, preferred to head for the parks to drink and run amok.
Paratroopers Day coincides with the Day of Ilya the Prophet, an Aug. 2 religious holiday celebrating Russia's expulsion of Polish forces from Moscow in the 17th century.
A religious ceremony was led by Patriarch Alexy II earlier on Red Square.
Vladimir Yakunin, head of Russian Railways, said the day was heavily promoted to raise the profile of the armed forces.
"A career protecting your motherland is becoming more and more prestigious," Yakunin said, shouting over the music. "Anyway, the Russian army is one of Russia's few remaining friends."
Russia's paratroopers are elite fighting forces and were among the few elements of the armed forces that remained combat-ready during the turbulent mid-'90s. Thus, they were extensively deployed in Chechnya
A paratrooper attending the concert, Sergei, 21, who declined to give his last name, said the holiday was essential to foster camaraderie among the troops and to boost patriotism among the people.

"It's like everyone is your brother and you are congratulating him on his birthday," Sergei said.
Hundreds poured into Gorky Park and split into groups around the shallow pond surrounding the fountain. Some stripped down to their underwear to take a paratrooper flag to the center point, raise it and scream "Slava, VDV! Slava, VDV!" or "Glory to the Airborne Troops!"
VDV is an acronym for Vozdushno-Desyantniye Voiska.
There were few families in the park -- mainly because the proceedings did not make for family viewing, with the fighting, wrestling, drinking games, raucous singing littered with swear words and full-frontal nudity. The activities made a stroll through Gorky Park on Thursday afternoon more like channel surfing on late-night cable television.
But an atmosphere of friendship and fraternity transcended the bedlam.
For every missed punch, there were two bear hugs. For every time spit hit the concrete, there were two sincere kisses. For every swear word, there was chorus of "here's to us, my brothers!"
President Vladimir Putin also congratulated the troops in comments posted on the Kremlin's web site. "The history of the 'winged soldier' contains countless examples of courage and heroism," he said. "I know you will never let us down and will skillfully carry out any task put in front of you."
http://www.moscowtimes.ru/images/empty.gifhttp://www.moscowtimes.ru/images/empty.gifMilitary doctrine dictates that paratroopers are the reserve forces of the commander-in-chief of the armed forces -- Putin.
"I am absolutely sure that the Airborne Troops saved Russia from internecine war," said Federation Council Speaker Sergei Mironov, who once served as a paratrooper, Interfax reported.
The annual holiday marks the first time troops with parachutes were deployed from planes in Voronezh on Aug. 2, 1930. But it is regularly tarnished by violence.
Vladimir, 74, who declined to give his last name, relishes Paratroopers Day. It took the veteran about 20 minutes to walk across Krymsky Bridge on his way to Gorky Park because every paratrooper he met on the way shook his hand and gave him a hug, bringing tears to his eyes. He hugged 24 people -- all of them drunk.
Vladimir served in the Far East. He first jumped out of a plane in 1949, when his parachute failed to open. "Luckily, the reserve chute worked," he said. "Look around you. These guys are defending you and me. It makes me proud to think I was once one of them."
Several ambulances periodically came and left the park with sirens wailing.
They had their work cut out for them. People with minor injuries after slipping on the concrete lined up to be taken away. Others, who had possibly peaked too early, lay motionless splayed out on the grass.
Before suggesting a reporter leave, one drunken reveler shouted: "Spread the word: The Airborne Troops are the greatest!"
Outside Gorky Park on the Garden Ring, speeding cars swerved across lanes with flags flapping from the windows and horns beeping.
Around 3,000 police were deployed around the city.
The police presence was most visible around the Park Kultury metro station, where hundreds of them did nothing while drunken paratroopers wandered across the ring road, causing cars to swerve, which led to a fair bit of fishtailing.
Eventually, some officers ordered one of the drivers out of his Jeep and verbally reprimanded him for not slowing down for the paratroopers.

Staff Writer Natalya Krainova contributed to this report.

ezik
27-08-2007, 16:08
Why is the army so important here:
- Defence & Civil tasks
- Imagery of glory that boosts national confidence and patriotism
- Providing 'work' to a lot of people that otherwise would not have any.

Ghostly Presence
28-08-2007, 11:20
Donít get me wrong I think that all Vets should be well respected, but there are a couple of comments below that peeked my interest.

Firstly why is an army so important to Russia? I mean who is going to attack Russia any way ?? Surly the money could be better spent on housing and roads etc.

LOL the cops telling drivers to slow down to avoided the drunks LOL only in Russia

Indeed, why would a large country surrounded by a number of not very friendly, if not borderline hostile nations would want to spend money on its military? Are you really that dumb?

Clean32
28-08-2007, 20:14
Indeed, why would a large country surrounded by a number of not very friendly, if not borderline hostile nations would want to spend money on its military? Are you really that dumb?

I must be Dumb? please exsplane what hostile nations are about to pounce on russia ???

Ghostly Presence
28-08-2007, 20:40
I must be Dumb? please exsplane what hostile nations are about to pounce on russia ???

First of all, it's not always about imminent threats - it's about being prepared. The US, for example, plans to deploy its anti-missile defense system just in case (as they claim). Just because of some obscure threatsÖ

Secondly, Stalin also did not believe that Germany would ever attack Russia. Yet it happened.

Being prepared for any turn of events Ė that is what strong army is all about.

Clean32
28-08-2007, 20:52
ok Being prepared for any turn of events, i can understand.

but what treat or potentual threat is there to Russia, that requires a large standing army ??

Packman
29-08-2007, 02:31
I'm no fan of President Bufoon...cough I mean Putin, but China could try to take territory at a certain point.

dick
29-08-2007, 05:11
I can see nobody here has ever been in the army. You really think you can call men in a few days put green uniforms on them and put a gun in their hands and you have an army? Untrained men die very quickly, and out of a million men how many are support? Do you send all your troops into battle? Maybe it's better to have reserves? What happens if your enemy flanks you? This ain't no video game, you can run out of ammo very quickly. How much ammo can you carry? Not much. Do you think you can just fire a weapon all day? The barrel gets very hot and will bend on machine guns that's why you carry two, so you can change them up. The M16 is a piece of junk, jam all the time, specially when they get dirty. I'd take an AK any day. China attack Russia don't think so, they don't need land they need oil. That's the first thing you need the second is food. China will attack the U.S. in Iran first. Russia would have very short supply lines and would be fighting for their home. The U.S. has very long supply lines and is in a place were everyone hates them. Iran will make China very welcome. First America will insult China by not showing up at the Olympic games then they will attack Iran. Oh and two million Russians die in the first two weeks of WWII. Still think a million man army is much? When WWIII comes a million people will die in one day.

dick
29-08-2007, 05:19
You stop any threat by being able to respond to a threat quickly and adequately.

dick
29-08-2007, 05:24

Hey wait a minute almost forgot to insult Clean32. Yes you are, but you said it I didn't. And that's the only thing I would agree with you on.

Ghostly Presence
30-08-2007, 09:27
I'm no fan of President Bufoon...cough I mean Putin, but China could try to take territory at a certain point.

I agree with you. Of all threats this one seems most real to me. And your or my attitude toward Putin has nothing to do with that. Putin is not Russia (even if he might think so). Sooner or later he will be gone, just like the rest of them, but Russian people will still have to defend themselves as a nation under any leader.

Clean32
30-08-2007, 10:47
I agree with you. Of all threats this one seems most real to me. And your or my attitude toward Putin has nothing to do with that. Putin is not Russia (even if he might think so). Sooner or later he will be gone, just like the rest of them, but Russian people will still have to defend themselves as a nation under any leader.

Ok Russia under threat of invasion, ok ill admit that I donít know much about this at all. Coming from an island country, with no land borders, where the last invasion threat was from Japan and before that Russia. But I do believe that standing armies and there structure create wars.
If I was to apply the Indonesian/ Australian situation to china /Russia then a treat would make sense, but if they were going to do it 10 years ago would have been a better time. And china would end up facing not only Russia but the western world as well. So as to a Chinese army charging over the Russian border? no I donít think so. However a Chinese creep over the border as to what is happening now in the far east, makes much more sense? possibly.

anyway the point of this post was more at the public drunkenness, and police assistance.

Packman
31-08-2007, 03:30

I heard from someone today that the Russian gov't has passed a law allowing Gazprom to form an army.

If true it would seem Putin is heading to Gazprom under protection of his private army.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

dick
02-09-2007, 05:45
Ha Ha Ha Ha they are all old KGB anyways at Gazprom. I heard they want to attack Ukraine and start checking peoples documents like any real country would.

Bels
02-09-2007, 12:43
Why is the army so important here:
- Defence & Civil tasks
- Imagery of glory that boosts national confidence and patriotism
- Providing 'work' to a lot of people that otherwise would not have any.

It's only temp work.

Bels
02-09-2007, 12:48
Don’t get me wrong I think that all Vets should be well respected, but there are a couple of comments below that peeked my interest.

That's why they do it. For them to build their roads. Cheap labour and a Russian told me that one. And cheap house building they get from ex-soviets.