PDA

View Full Version : work visa vs. business visa

kseniaCH
03-08-2007, 18:20
Hi

I tried to find any similar question in the forum but haven't succeed.

The situation is following: I am russian and have a french boyfrined for the last 2 years. We finally decided to live together (because really its a hell to meet once in 3 month and spend loads for weekend in Paris!).

He is just graduating from univ (air engineer, but interested in industrial design), so have no work experience. Taking into account that russian employers dont bother taking people without any work history i sent his CV's to some design studios.

To my surprise I had some positive answers - studios invited Dorian as a trainee, which is good for start. But then i started to read russian labor law..

We have no opportunity to make all the documents (work permit & work visa) for him. But I decided to make him Business multi visa for a year (through Liga). Of course i will register him in my flat. Employer is OK to take him illegally.

So the question is: what do you think - does such illegall status will be a problem for him? And what possible problems it can cause (for example, can it be checked by militsiya on the street?)?

Err.. sorry for the long story..

And look forward for your answers!

DooLittle
03-08-2007, 19:58
A biz visa won't get him into trouble on the street as long as he is registered, but working for a Russian company without a work permit can result in fines for the company of $30,000.

Clean32
03-08-2007, 21:34
ok why not just forget the work/buss visa all togeather and do the temp res insted. it takes longer to get but he could be here on Invitation for the 6 months it takes to do temp res ???

joyciemannie
04-08-2007, 17:13
hi ksenia, your bf doesn't have to worry. if he's stopped on the street, he can say he's self employed and that he's registered at your address. the police may ask for a work permit, which your bf isn't required to have if he is on business visa. (the police are sometimes unclear themselves about this rule and might try to make him think he should have the razreshenie.)

also separately, he should note that on a business visa he is only allowed to say for 6 months and needs to leave the country and come back to get re-registered. it doesn't matter that his visa lasts 1 year; he still has to leave the country after 6 months. see: Business and work visas, merits and drawbacks (http://www.visa-workpermit.ru/54.0.html)

good luck.

kseniaCH
06-08-2007, 11:18
Thank you, Clean32, for your advice. But as I know, to recieve temp res he should first have visa, right? Probably i can do it under his business visa.

What do you think, how long does it take to make a temp res?

kseniaCH
06-08-2007, 11:21
Thank you, joyciemannie! You sound really positive :)
I will keep in mind about registration.

Moscow Addick
06-08-2007, 11:47
Probably more than half the expats on this site are here on a business visa. It is certainly not at all unusual and the Militsia won't care as long as he has a valid visa and registration.

Clean32
06-08-2007, 18:02
Thank you, Clean32, for your advice. But as I know, to recieve temp res he should first have visa, right? Probably i can do it under his business visa.

What do you think, how long does it take to make a temp res?

Correct, you have to decide about the bussness visa your self but i beleve there are some uumm conversations, that there may be some changes to this system soon. IE you may need a permit to get your second bus visa, how ever this is not the case at the moment.

Family invitaion is the othere way, but this is only good for 3 months, how ever if you are with your husband in anothere country the visa prossessing time can be quite quick IE BBK Riga. LOL just means you get 2 or 3 hunnymoons LOL

or say 1 bussness Visa then a family visa, that should ok then on to temp res.

kseniaCH
07-08-2007, 14:43
1 bussness Visa then a family visa, that should ok then on to temp res.

Thats sound like a best way for us. Its just, by your experience, is it complicated to recieve temp res in russia?

Living in russia, i have a strong feeling that its rather impossible to obtain anything through our governmental offices (e.g. apply for passport or whatever) :D

MaltSokol
10-09-2007, 02:25
Hi,

But if he is French and he is in Russia on a business visa, he'll be able to stay 90 days every 6 months, as stated in the new Schengen-Russia agreement for visa facilitation. Won't he?

10-09-2007, 09:57
Hi,

But if he is French and he is in Russia on a business visa, he'll be able to stay 90 days every 6 months, as stated in the new Schengen-Russia agreement for visa facilitation. Won't he?

Yes, and that is why the residence permit is the best (and in fact the only legal) way for a non Russian to live and work here. Getting it is not harder than getting a residence card for a Russian in France, even probably easier.
Anyway, applications for work permits are currently not delivered anymore until October, as the quota is reached.

raza
16-10-2007, 15:00
Dear all

Now I am facing a new challenge after getting my temp res, my Russian organization where I work call to local migration office to get permission to take me as their employ under Russian law but the news is that I need work permit now.

As per my knowledge, after obtaining this temp res I don’t need work permit in moscow region thn what the f *** is this? Is it mean that law has changed once again, there is no clear info. If any one know abt it pls do let me know.
raza

Clean32
16-10-2007, 19:02
mate you have posted this twice, i replyed to the othere one