PDA

View Full Version : Guardian Journalist Luke Harding refused re-entry to Russia

Ian G
09-02-2011, 13:09
The Russian authorities say it was because he had failed to comply with formal requirements for foreign journalists in Russia.

http://vz.ru/society/2011/2/8/467252.html

He says it is bcause of the content of his articles.

Here's a list of his articles- what do you think?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/lukeharding?INTCMP=SRCH

Korotky Gennady
09-02-2011, 14:05
The russian authorities always are afraid of indepedent journalists. They want to have only these ones who praise their policy and never make any criticism of them.

And there never be any shortcoming of journalists of this kind in Russia... :)))

Swordfish90293
09-02-2011, 17:41
For crying out loud!

mrzuzzo
09-02-2011, 17:43
Obviously this is political.. Russian government obviously dislikes criticism, especially when the truth is spoken, and even more especially if it is spoken by foreigners.

Swordfish90293
09-02-2011, 17:55
Obviously this is political.. Russian government obviously dislikes criticism, especially when the truth is spoken, and even more especially if it is spoken by foreigners.

Tell us something we don't already know. Ooops! Did I just slander someone?

mrzuzzo
09-02-2011, 18:27
Tell us something we don't already know. Ooops! Did I just slander someone?

Watch for men in masks at your door.. and good luck trying to get back into the country once you get out!

Swordfish90293
09-02-2011, 20:42
Watch for men in masks at your door.. and good luck trying to get back into the country once you get out!

Why for Chrissake would I want to come back when I can access all this wonder on my laptop?

tvadim133
09-02-2011, 20:48
When I read some of his articles. I had some doubts about his professonal level.

But

Nevetheless, what I think is that there are two sides of the moon:

1. he has forgotten about russian bureaucracy and was too lightminded;

2. some of authorities (I guess, these authorities were from MVD, after his non-authorised trip to Ingushetiya) decided just "to teach" him in using his mistake;

robertmf
09-02-2011, 20:53
The Russian authorities always are afraid of independent journalists. They want to have only those who praise their policy and never criticize them.

:ninja: Dangerous work. Might as well be a Vietnam 2nd Looie.
List of journalists killed in Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ruth123
10-02-2011, 01:51
When I read some of his articles. I had some doubts about his professonal level.

Me too...

I read this one thoroughly: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/01/bradley-manning-wikileaks

and its really purely written, read couple of other ones briefly - same thing (imho that is).

But

Nevetheless, what I think is that there are two sides of the moon:

1. he has forgotten about russian bureaucracy and was too lightminded;

2. some of authorities (I guess, these authorities were from MVD, after his non-authorised trip to Ingushetiya) decided just "to teach" him in using his mistake;

Agreed.

Ian G
10-02-2011, 11:43
tvadim133

I had some doubts about his professional level

My impression is that some of his articles read a bit like a digest of the Rusian press, television, blogosphere, Moscow Times etc.- as if he is giving a kind of overview of what's reported on and what people are talking about in Russia. He reported on Russia throughout January, while he was based in Britain, so clearly he relies on existing sources. But- realisitically, that's not a bad thing. Someone's got to do it. The same with his Wikileaks work- the sources already exist but someone has to analyse them and write about them for the public.

Looking back at his earlier articles for the Guardian I see he was based in Iraq in 2003- not a safe place to be.

Here 's the latest news from the Guardian.

Russia's foreign ministry has reversed its decision to deport the Guardian's Moscow correspondent, saying that Luke Harding would be granted an extension to his visa to carry on reporting if the newspaper wanted him to.The U-turn came just … Decision to grant Luke Harding an extension to his visa comes just before a rare visit to UK by Russian foreign minister