PDA

View Full Version : Flushing out inactive users?

Digenis Akritas
02-08-2007, 10:31
Is there some way that Expat.ru can remove the inactive users from the database? According to the navbar at the top of the site there are 5,695 users, but many of them, of course, do not post or even access the forums.

What if we just flush out people who have not been active (logged in) in the last 365 days? The system can tell when the last time I visited was (that is, it tells me what the new posts are since I last visited), so can we execute some function that will easily remove all the inactive members?

I don't even know if it will make a difference, but my common sense tells me that an SQL database with nearly 6,000 users is pretty hefty. Perhaps this will either speed up the site or prevent the crashes we've seen in the last few months.

Just an idea.

boscoe
02-08-2007, 10:37
We do... we have many members who lurk, put it this way when the site crashed we went down to just over 3000 members we are now back up to 5700. Many people visit the site daily and remember the site isn't just the forums many come for the information on the front of the site, arts calendar, restaurant reviews etc

TD
02-08-2007, 13:52
my common sense tells me that an SQL database with nearly 6,000 users is pretty hefty

so it would seem, but the user information for those nearly 6,000 members actually takes up less than 2mb of space in the database - any "crashes" since the big one at the beginning of June were human error on my part... nothing to do with the server being overburdened

RE the speed of the site - do you see a significant difference between here and the "other site"?

ezik
08-08-2007, 22:19
The site is much more reactive now, TD, well done.
Actually, I tend to start to find this one a bit faster than the "other site". But maybe that's just ridiculous loyalty...