PDA

View Full Version : the waxed one voting

robertmf
06-02-2011, 18:53
:whisper: Go to the below link to vote on whether :bowdown: the waxed one should remain a mummy or be buried.

The link is in Russian ... with a captcha in English :doh:
http://goodbyelenin.ru/

shurale
07-02-2011, 10:09
The other day I saw a thread about male waxing. There is supposed to be a method called "hard" waxing that is supposed to be significantly better than the usual, "soft" waxing.

shurale
07-02-2011, 10:10
If I came to Moscow and fancied getting some parts of my precious body waxed, how much would it cost? What venue is the best?

Ian G
07-02-2011, 17:18
Shurale- I think you mean a different kind of waxing! Lenin's body was embalmed. And not very successfully, either:

'The poet Mayakovsky captured the mood among Bolsheviks when Lenin's death was announced on 21 anuary 1924: "Lenin, even now," he wrote, "is more alive than all the living." For Krasin [Leonid Krasin, an engineer and disciple of the Russian mystic Nikolai Fedorov, who believed that the dead could be technologically resurrected] this was more than a poetic conceit. Soon after Lenin's funeral he published an article in the communist newspaper Izvestia entitled "The Architectural Immortalisation of Lenin". After deliberations involving Stalin and the head of the secret police, Felix Dzerzhinsky, who had organised the funeral, it had been decided to embalm Lenin rather than bury or cremate the body. Krasin wanted Lenin's mausoleum to be a site that surpassed Jerusalem and Mecca in grandeur and significance. In late March the funeral commission that had been set up to organise Lenin's interment was renamed the "Immortalisation Commission".

In a speech delivered at the funeral of a fellow revolutionary some years before Lenin's death, Krasin had made clear his belief that in future, revolutionary leaders would not die forever: "I am certain that the time will come when science will become all-powerful, that it will be possible to recreate a diseased organism and resurrect great historical figures. I am certain that when that time will come, among the great figures will be our comrade." With this prospect in mind, towards the end of January 1924 Krasin constructed a refrigeration system designed to keep Lenin's cadaver cool. Unsurprisingly, the primitive cryogenic technology failed to work. The skin of the face had darkened, wrinkles were appearing and the lips had parted. Krasin was adamant that freezing could succeed if a better refrigerator was imported from Germany and double-glazing installed. But the process of deterioration continued, the nose began to lose its shape, one hand was turning greenish-grey, the eyes were sinking in their sockets and the ears were becoming crumpled.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jan/08/john-gray-immortality?INTCMP=SRCH

Mayakovsky's and Lenin's brains (the latter cut into 30 000 slices) , of course, eventually became neighbours at the Lenin Institute of the Brain- now the French Embassy.

Lenin's brain

'In 1924, the German neurologist Oskar Vogt was one of the neurologists asked to consult on Lenin’s illness and was given his brain for histological study after Lenin’s death. Lenin's brain showed a great number of "giant cells", which Vogt saw as a sign of superior mental function. "The giant cells" were cortical pyramidal cells of unusual size. There were also particularities in layer 3.
In 1925 Vogt accepted an invitation to Moscow where he was assigned the establishment of an institute for brain research in Narkomsdraw, Moscow. In 1945 Lenin's brain was still in the Institute of Berlin. According to claims of two Belgians, L. Van Bogaert and A. Dewulf, the Russians carried out a military operation specially to retrieve the brain before the Americans got it, and succeeded in doing so. The brain is now at Moscow's Institute.'
http://www.bionity.com/en/encyclopedia/Oskar_Vogt.html

Question- where is Lenin's brain now? Does the Institute still exist?

robertmf
07-02-2011, 19:44
With this prospect in mind, towards the end of January 1924 Krasin constructed a refrigeration system designed to keep Lenin's cadaver cool. Unsurprisingly, the primitive cryogenic technology failed to work. The skin of the face had darkened, wrinkles were appearing and the lips had parted. Krasin was adamant that freezing could succeed if a better refrigerator was imported from Germany and double-glazing installed. But the process of deterioration continued, the nose began to lose its shape, one hand was turning greenish-grey, the eyes were sinking in their sockets and the ears were becoming crumpled.'

:question: Where is Lenin's brain now? Does the Institute still exist?

:shhhhhh: He looked okay when I passed by him - a bit pale, maybe