PDA

View Full Version : Crime in Moscow by districts

RussianSphinx
05-02-2011, 16:41
Nezavisimaya Gazeta has published the ranking of Moscow’s districts by the number of crimes committed and here you will find the map based on that ranking: Crime in Moscow by districts (http://russiansphinx.blogspot.com/2011/02/analysis-of-crime-in-moscow-by.html)

The ranking is not good as it doesn't provide proper details, NG should also post number of crime by type. I know that there are that kind of details for other cities like New York or London but police in Moscow doesn't publish the data :(

tvadim133
05-02-2011, 17:00
Agree that crime by type is important here indeed.

Murdering, robberining, attacks are diffrerent from car crashes (it is a crime as well), cases with deceiving or and so on.

I found, that my distict has 39 position, but next street area is on 59 position. :)

Though both districts are absolutely safe, from my point of view of living, shopping, walking even late at night and so on.

On the other hand I found that Khovrino has better position in the rating (more safe)! :)

Nevertheless, thank you for sharing that!

Croesus
05-02-2011, 21:44
Kapotnya, Nekrasovka and Metrogorodok are listed among the safest districts in Moscow.
That's some ridiculous joke for sure.
Apparently such "expendable" factors like size of a district or its population have been ignored completely.

tvadim133
05-02-2011, 21:50
Kapotnya, Nekrasovka and Metrogorodok are listed among the safest districts in Moscow.
That's some ridiculous joke for sure.
Apparently such "expendable" factors like size of a district or its population have been ignored completely.

Oh, you are right.

I do not know the methodics they use, but I can guess, that they compare just the number of cases in each district, but did not do following:

1. type of crimes;
2. number of crimes vs the quantity of people living in this or that district.

Though I can guess, Yakimanka can be safe (who live there? People just pass it by! :))

mattology
05-02-2011, 22:07
Same goes for Dorogomilovo, ranking 36 - I find it rather safe here personally and it's always clean and quiet. Well, guess those subjective factors are difficult to count in anyway.

Benedikt
06-02-2011, 13:17
Same goes for Dorogomilovo, ranking 36 - I find it rather safe here personally and it's always clean and quiet. Well, guess those subjective factors are difficult to count in anyway.

and that has to be taken into account. there are always brawls and fightings going on there. BUT it does not spill out onto other streets, however the happenings are are counted.

Croesus
06-02-2011, 19:48
Indeed. I'd name the railway station as the most contributing object though.

Vipsa
08-02-2011, 20:08
In my opinion crime in Moscow can happened everywhere especially when you are foreigner because thieves are good psychologists.
You can go everywhere Just be careful :) We don't have such dangerous districts as in LA or NY

Kraven Morehead
08-02-2011, 20:42
In certain places in the world, shot gun wounds & multiple stab wounds is consider death by naturally causes.
Other places, death by smoking too much tobacco over your life time is murder.

Benedikt
08-02-2011, 20:56
In my opinion crime in Moscow can happened everywhere especially when you are foreigner because thieves are good psychologists.
You can go everywhere Just be careful :) We don't have such dangerous districts as in LA or NY

don't go after 5 pm:whisper: into Central Park. no one told me here
in Moscow NOT to go to Gorki Park after 5 pm.....

Swordfish90293
09-02-2011, 01:02
We don't have such dangerous districts as in LA or NY

I beg to differ...My home is in the lowest crime zip code in L.A. and a few years ago we had a major shootout just steps away from my balcony...the last in a string of car jackings, robberies, assaults...I think for a foreigner in the outback of MOW this could be true, but even indigenous types in NYC and L.A. can take a wrong turn at any moment and ya stuvo... eg..driving from the beach to Downtown via South Central and everyone's packing...forget about it!

I feel much safer in MOW.

Read:
http://crime.latimes.com/

Ian G
09-02-2011, 11:21
Just out of interest- is the survey about crime, or about safety?
And what kind of crime?

In 19th Century Paris there was a street known as the "Boulevard du Crime"- where the main theatres were. Where is Moscow's Boulevard of Crime?

I'd say the most 'criminal' areas of Moscow are not necessarily the most dangerous areas of Moscow for passers-by. They are the expensive areas. Ostozhenka, arouns Tverskaya Street, Rublyovka, etc-. That is where there is the greatest concentration of rich people and therefore the highest concentration of criminals, corrupt bureaucrats etc.

And yes- I live in Tekstilshiki. Have done for 10 years. I have never come across any crime there.

Tate
09-02-2011, 14:02
It's not the point.The criminal acts you re speaking about are not so often because if smb decides to get such rublyovka residents travelling to the Heaven/hell they must be just really good killers or smth..preparation...good plan..besides in these areas the murders can't be accidental. As far as i understand we speak about different maniacs,psycopaths and thieves whom you can meet in less popular districts and just by accident.By bad luck,so to say)))
As for me,i feel safer exactly in center areas because they are always croudy and the crime is more obvious to see for passers-by.

Just out of interest- is the survey about crime, or about safety?
And what kind of crime?

In 19th Century Paris there was a street known as the "Boulevard du Crime"- where the main theatres were. Where is Moscow's Boulevard of Crime?

I'd say the most 'criminal' areas of Moscow are not necessarily the most dangerous areas of Moscow for passers-by. They are the expensive areas. Ostozhenka, arouns Tverskaya Street, Rublyovka, etc-. That is where there is the greatest concentration of rich people and therefore the highest concentration of criminals, corrupt bureaucrats etc.

And yes- I live in Tekstilshiki. Have done for 10 years. I have never come across any crime there.

HansKuepper
09-02-2011, 18:45
Around Paveltski, inside the Garden Ring it is just fine. Do not care what they report.

CatTV
09-04-2011, 00:10
Golianovo, Solntsevo're still criminal places

trancophile
09-04-2011, 13:15
My area is ranked 8th. For me, crime goes down anywhere, anytime. .

Goreweaver
10-04-2011, 13:25
I was robbed (my fault, much too drunk to be bumbling about) but with the reputation of the police here and the nature of the incident, I didn't bother reporting it. A friend of mine was robbed getting off the metro, caught the guy but no police came and eventually he got away. He tried to report it, but was told that if you're drunk (subjective measure here, seems to be based on how much the police can be bothered with paperwork) you can't report a crime or something to that effect.

Still though, I feel better at night here than in Guatemala City, even though when I was robbed there it was a much more pleasant affair.

Irina88
12-04-2011, 20:44
It's safe in the centre, but dangerous everywhere outside of the Sadovoe Koltso

tvadim133
12-04-2011, 21:52

Everywhere?

Are you kidding?

Viola
13-04-2011, 13:56
Totally agree with Irina88.
I feel very unsafe in Moscow. And it is changing for the worse rapidly.

marus
05-06-2011, 23:55
And one which other Russians have also made recently.....question is ,why?

Tom Hill
06-06-2011, 10:41
I feel safe in the center but outside of the garden ring it can be rough

marus
06-06-2011, 12:48
The increasing problems with crime and security issues in Moscow are linked to the deteriorating economic and social conditions?The place has long been chronically over-populated with more and more people still pouring in from the provinces and other parts of the former S.U.The strain on services and utilities is inevitable,the costs continue to increase and the quality of life becomes worse and more and more stressful.Behind the glitz and glitter which the elite enjoy is a very different kind of city and it is not at all difficult to turn a corner and be confronted with reality!But those who have power and run the place live in another world and care little about the rest...
I'm not being cynical as I know many Russians,including people who were born there,have similar views about Moscow is becoming,yet feel powerless to do anything about it other than leave or at least get a dacha to escape to whenver they can!

Pixiestar
10-06-2011, 21:43
Surely Mitino, Solntesvo and South Butovo is the worst?

AndreyS
10-06-2011, 21:48
Strange... What do you mean by dangerous? Have you been a victim or what?

Willy
11-06-2011, 07:49
Strange... What do you mean by dangerous? Have you been a victim or what?

Yeah I'd like to know how he came up with that. I find the center much more dangerous.