PDA

View Full Version : Banned when using Opera?

BrandonL
03-02-2011, 20:13
So I try to log onto expat.ru using Opera, and I get this

http://expat.ru/banned.htm

Why was I banned from your forum?
It's possible you were banned by mistake, in which case you should read this page and then contact us explaining your situation. If you were banned intentionally, this page tells you why.

It is also possible that you are connecting to the site via a proxy server. According to our rules, this may result in you not having access to the forums. We suggest you try to connect directly in this case.

We are aware that some folks don't take the time to actually read the forum rules. That's a shame but it's not our fault. In any case we make it obvious before you register. Remember the summary of rules you agreed to (screenshot below)?

I can log in normally on google chrome, no emails or anything, is this a glitch or something?

sashadidi
03-02-2011, 22:22
So I try to log onto expat.ru using Opera, and I get this

http://expat.ru/banned.htm

Why was I banned from your forum?
It's possible you were banned by mistake, in which case you should read this page and then contact us explaining your situation. If you were banned intentionally, this page tells you why.

It is also possible that you are connecting to the site via a proxy server. According to our rules, this may result in you not having access to the forums. We suggest you try to connect directly in this case.

We are aware that some folks don't take the time to actually read the forum rules. That's a shame but it's not our fault. In any case we make it obvious before you register. Remember the summary of rules you agreed to (screenshot below)?

I can log in normally on google chrome, no emails or anything, is this a glitch or something?

tech problem or Ip address when using opera?

ezik
03-02-2011, 22:24
Obviously, you are not banned!!!
Did anyone else use your computer? Did you try to clear the cache and cookies?
Does Opera have any special Proxy settings?
I've got Opera here and will try to replicate this.
In the meantime, please use Chrome as you are not banned at all!

ezik
03-02-2011, 22:26
tech problem or Ip address when using opera?

The banned page is triggered by cookies (i.e. login) and by IP. So, if Opera is configured to use a certain proxy that Expat.ru doesn't like, this page could show up.

If the IPs are PM-ed to me, I can discretely check what is going on.

BrandonL
04-02-2011, 12:23
The banned page is triggered by cookies (i.e. login) and by IP. So, if Opera is configured to use a certain proxy that Expat.ru doesn't like, this page could show up.

If the IPs are PM-ed to me, I can discretely check what is going on.

No one has used my computer, everything has been the same, then yesterday, all of a sudden, I got banned, dunno, what the problem is :(

Larry Paradine
15-02-2011, 22:03
I use Opera; I'm not banned. I hope!

martpark
15-02-2011, 22:27
Maybe he meant banned when singing opera.

TD
17-02-2011, 19:57
No one has used my computer, everything has been the same, then yesterday, all of a sudden, I got banned, dunno, what the problem is :(

The only reason you might be getting the banned message is if you are connecting via a proxy server or some other automated means. I suspect your version of Opera has some sort of plugin enabled that is connecting in some less than direct manner. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Opera and see if that helps. Also try Safari, Firefox, and IE and see if there are any similar problems cropping up.

BrandonL
17-02-2011, 21:18
The only reason you might be getting the banned message is if you are connecting via a proxy server or some other automated means. I suspect your version of Opera has some sort of plugin enabled that is connecting in some less than direct manner. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Opera and see if that helps. Also try Safari, Firefox, and IE and see if there are any similar problems cropping up.

Yeah, I found the problem, I guess I accidently clicked on Opera Turbo, which got me banned.

Strider
21-02-2011, 20:49
so why are opera's proxy servers banned? what's wrong about them?

sudha06
01-03-2011, 15:12
:plane:You received a message saying you were banned?

ezik
01-03-2011, 22:07
so why are opera's proxy servers banned? what's wrong about them?

No specific Opera proxy servers are banned as such. But we have some software installed to prevent browsing through certain types of proxy servers. It could be that Opera Turbo uses a proxy server of one of these types. Or, to say it more accurately, it could be that Opera Turbo uses proxy servers that not have been classified as "safe" yet by security software companies.

I use Opera myself sometimes (I prefer Chrome, though), without the Turbo option. No problems whatsoever.

TolkoRaz
01-03-2011, 22:11
What language are you guys talking? :confused:

robertmf
01-03-2011, 22:21
No specific Opera proxy servers are banned as such. But we have some software installed to prevent browsing through certain types of proxy servers. It could be that Opera Turbo uses a proxy server of one of these types. Or, to say it more accurately, it could be that Opera Turbo uses proxy servers that not have been classified as "safe" yet by security software companies.

I use Opera myself sometimes (I prefer Chrome, though), without the Turbo option. No problems whatsoever.

I thought Opera Turbo was just for cache on the local box :question: There's a wee icon on the bottom left to on/off/auto.

I like opera, chrome for some reason didn't attract me. If you don't need the full blown (bloated IMhO) firefox, then the stripped down seamonkey is the mozilla option (lightning is now the calendar).

:emote_popcorn:

robertmf
03-03-2011, 03:00
What language are you guys talking? :confused:

There are various internet browsers other than the (I assume) IE4 you have :rasta:

Larry Paradine
14-03-2011, 22:44
[QUOTE=ezik;809067]No specific Opera proxy servers are banned as such. But we have some software installed to prevent browsing through certain types of proxy servers. It could be that Opera Turbo uses a proxy server of one of these types. Or, to say it more accurately, it could be that Opera Turbo uses proxy servers that not have been classified as "safe" yet by security software companies.

For a few days I've been unable to log in to this forum, in fact haven't even been able to get expat.ru on the scree; every time I tried, I got a pop up message telling me a number of possible reasons why I'd been banned. Suddenly a little bell rang in my memory. I remembered reading about this problem a few weeks ago, and thought I should check that I was using the normal Opera browser. I wasn't. I must have inadvertently switched to Opera Turbo; it didn't affect any other sites I browsed, but it's definitely the culprit behind my "banning" and the OP's. Now I'm back on standard Opera, all's well.