PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Russian car... Is this really an adventure??

Desert Addict
31-01-2011, 19:52
I am thinking of buying a new car in Russia (I am European). Has anyone has any recent experience with this?
I would register everything on my own name.

Thinking of buying local:)

http://www.uazik.ru/tpl/img/gal/image_26266945.jpg

tvadim133
31-01-2011, 20:14
The last time I had a russian car was in the middle of 90s.

Basicaly, I did not have any problems, but of course the difference between made in Russia and made-in -another country was huge, when I had an opportunity to compare them (the comfort of driving).

You need to have a driving test first of all, I suppose! :)

mrzuzzo
31-01-2011, 22:47
That's a sweet ride.

Like with all cars, it really depends on luck.

I've had a supposedly-reliable SAAB 9-3 that broke down every month and left me stranded 3 times on the side of the road. At the sime time, I have a relative with a Lada 2114 that does regular maintenance, long road trips, and has not had a break down in about 3 years now.

Mind you the Russian car is not going to be as fast or comfortable as an import. The UAZ especially, since its primary function is to be a military truck.

tasel
31-01-2011, 23:23
I am thinking of buying a new car in Russia (I am European). Has anyone has any recent experience with this?

It will be a real adventure :nono:

FatAndy
01-02-2011, 10:41
At the end of 90x-beg. 200x one German guy, working as big boss in German chemical company rep office in Moscow, had a lot of job and no time for gym, so he has purchased UAZ-469 (there is no hydroamplifiers for rule and pedals in it, at all) just to have muscle training while driving ;) And it was quite funny to see UAZ on the main place of company's parking between posh Mercedeses and BMWs.
Main thing to keep a car in a good form is to find reliable service company with a good professionals. It's not an easy thing, although there are a lot of Автоcервис in Moscow now...

Kona
04-02-2011, 13:54
I tried to drive it. It's absolutely "goat" car.

mrzuzzo
04-02-2011, 16:44
I tried to drive it. It's absolutely "goat" car.

"Goat" car? What does that even mean?

That car is ****ing manly and awesome.

Kona, your dream car must be a VW Beetle or a Smart Car.

tgma
04-02-2011, 17:53
One issue is that as a foreigner, it's tricky to own a car in your own name, you'll have to find a friendly Russian who can own it and give you a power of attorney. It's not difficult, but it's a pain.
Here's a story about a Russian car: a friend of mine bought a UAZ, had it looked at by a mechanic, drove it for a couple of months, decided to sell it as he was moving, and actually got a price that was higher than the price of a new car! The reason was that because it was used, the buyer knew that the seller had done all the work needed to correct all the faults that were not dealt with in the factory.

This is standard in Russia - with a new local car, you take it to a mechanic, who will dismantle it, and put it back together properly, with moving parts well greased, and real care over the nuts and bolts, because there's a high likelihood that this was not done in the factory, and the car was assembled by someone who was drunk or lazy or both.

JanC
06-02-2011, 21:29
I've had a supposedly-reliable SAAB 9-3

I don't know who told you a 9-3 would be reliable....but they were obviously full of it lol (yes I had one for a while) a search around the internet would show that too.

After that experience I'd go for something properly reliable probably...so not that. But you can always try :D

bob
13-03-2011, 07:43
Did you finally end up buying the UAZ ? Share your experience as I am also looking at getting myself one.

Cooldude
13-03-2011, 15:21

I had one like this years and years ago. It's good for the purpose, but no good for anything else. Maintenance and parts are cheap. Buying it in your own name really depends on your status in Russia (work visa, TRP, PRP etc.)

I would go for УАЗ-315148-053 2.4L diesel.

Good luck with your endevours!

pacmany2002
15-03-2011, 21:15
you'd better by a foreign one and save money)

motoreiter
16-03-2011, 19:06
I bought a used UAZ back in the nineties. It ran great for about a year, and I had a blast with it. Then it started breaking down on a regular basis, and I could never find a good mechanic--all of them would fix one thing and break two more.

Definitely give it a test drive, the suspension is rather stiff (think leaf springs, not shocks) and no power steering...

Russkii
25-04-2011, 12:17

what is the purpose of such a buying?

Russkii
25-04-2011, 12:23
I mean, depending on the purpose of buying it is not necessarily always "an adventure" =)

ps. sorry my english