PDA

View Full Version : Sensationalist or True ?

Halyavshik
01-08-2007, 12:27
Link about Nashi organization

LINK (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=471324&in_page_id=1770)

dick
02-08-2007, 02:12
Some of it's true but they are just making it sound worst then it is. Look whats going on between these two countries. You think they could write anything good about Russia?

Ned Kelly
31-08-2007, 10:32
Joe, I think you should go in undercover and find out. Don't forget to hand in your thong at the door though.

Ghostly Presence
31-08-2007, 11:14
Isn't Daily Mail a tabloid?

Len Ganley Stance
31-08-2007, 12:35
The Daily Mail is is a hugely popular British comic for those who believe themselves (usually mistakingly) to be members of the middle classes. A pair of rose-tinted spectacles must be worn to read articles in the Daily Mail, which describe how everything was great in the 1950s before the Islamic Conquest and the introduction of drugs, fat women, paedophiles, the homeless and the invention of sex made daily life intolerable for the conservative middle-class and retired army colonels that inhabit the United Kingdom

Bels
31-08-2007, 20:08
Tabloids in the UK should not be compared to the tabloids in the USA. The Mail is normally considered a serious newspaper. They were forced recently by market demand to make the paper smaller for ease of use and reading.

If you want the original tabloids with the biggest readership try The Sun or the Mirror.

Len Ganley Stance
31-08-2007, 21:23
The Mail is normally considered a serious newspaper. They were forced recently by market demand to make the paper smaller for ease of use and reading.

The Daily Mail has been a tabloid since 1971, which is not exactly 'recent'.

In the 1930's - before the build up to the Second World War - the Daily Mail was renowned as being the only British newspaper to show support to what Hitler and Mussolini were doing. It changed this policy only in 1939 when the British Government threatened to close the newspaper down. During this time and throughout the War, the Mail was commonly referred to as the 'Daily Heil'.

The Daily Mail is actually the third biggest selling newspaper in the UK. The News of the World and The Sun are the largest.

Wikipedia describes the editorial stance of the Daily Mail as follows -

The Daily Mail considers itself to be the voice of Middle England, speaking up for "small-c" conservative values against what it sees as a liberal establishment. It generally takes an anti-European, anti-immigration, anti-homosexuality, anti-atheism, anti-abortion view, and is correspondingly pro-family, pro-tax cuts and pro-monarchy, as well as advocating stricter punishments for crime. The paper is generally critical of the BBC, which it perceives as being biased to the left

If that is what you consider to be a serious newspaper, that's up to you. Perhaps, you are a retired Army Colonel living in the British Isles.

The Mirror on the other hand is the only British national newspaper that has constantly supported the British Labour Party. The Mirror was always viewed as a 'quality' daily newspaper up until Rupert Murdoch took it over and the Mirror has since been considered a 'dumbed-down' version of a once good newspaper.

As regards to The Sun, I will leave describing that rag up to Judge to do that.

Bels
31-08-2007, 22:40
So the three biggest selling newspapers in the UK are garbage ? What do you think about the times or the Guardian?

Yes I was disgusted with the Sun, a staunch conservative supporter who suddenly changed its tune and supported Labour. How two faced can you get

Len Ganley Stance
01-09-2007, 10:01
So the three biggest selling newspapers in the UK are garbage ? What do you think about the times or the Guardian?

Yes I was disgusted with the Sun, a staunch conservative supporter who suddenly changed its tune and supported Labour. How two faced can you get

Bels,

When I was in the UK, I bought the Guardian every day, but I also read the Times, the Telegraph and I also read the tabloids. I take it that you do realise that both the Guardian and Times are now published in 'tabloid' format and the Telegraph is the only 'daily' that is still a broadsheet. The point being that it's irrelevant what format the newspapers are published in, it's the editorial content that is important.

We may well think that the three biggest selling newspapers in the UK are garbage but obviously a helluva lot of readers don't. I think that it is a good thing that people's opinions are different and that they are allowed to publish those opinions and people are allowed to read them. If I don't agree with what I'm reading in a particular newspaper I can always put the paper down. The same as watching television, if you don't like what's on, turn the thing off.

Why were you disgusted when the Sun switched from supporting the Conservative Party to really 'endorsing' Labour in the election in 1997? The reason I think they did was because the Conservatives really were hopeless at the time / the country clearly needed a change and the Sun didn't want to be seen to be backing a 'loser'. Rightly or wrongly, The Sun is one of the few newspapers which can actually get its readership to do something. Remember their 'Up Your's / Delours' campaign?

I'm not defending The Sun, by the way but I am defending people's rights to be able to read a 'Free Press'.

It will be interesting to see who The Sun will support in the next General Election - my money, at this point in time, would still be on Labour, as although David Cameron comes across as being 'alright', I don't think the Conservatives have too many policies at the moment that are going to win a General Election.

Bels
01-09-2007, 11:25
Never a true word was said from the above post. for most of it anyway.

Unfortunately at the time the conservative goverment had run out of charismatic leaders, and the New Labour was agreeing with the conservative goverments successful policies. The New Labour became the New moderate conservative. The Sun, biggest selling hit the nail in the coffin by supporting the New Labour. I think at the time it was bought by an Australian.

Bels
01-09-2007, 11:30
I don't think the general public has forgotten that Britain's success and wealth today was due to conservative policies.

Starting to get a few problems now though, so perhaps its time to repair the damages again. And Gordon Brown has charisma.

thewanderer
12-09-2007, 22:31
Bels,

When I was in the UK, I bought the Guardian every day, but I also read the Times, the Telegraph and I also read the tabloids. I take it that you do realise that both the Guardian and Times are now published in 'tabloid' format and the Telegraph is the only 'daily' that is still a broadsheet. The point being that it's irrelevant what format the newspapers are published in, it's the editorial content that is important.

We may well think that the three biggest selling newspapers in the UK are garbage but obviously a helluva lot of readers don't. I think that it is a good thing that people's opinions are different and that they are allowed to publish those opinions and people are allowed to read them. If I don't agree with what I'm reading in a particular newspaper I can always put the paper down. The same as watching television, if you don't like what's on, turn the thing off.

Why were you disgusted when the Sun switched from supporting the Conservative Party to really 'endorsing' Labour in the election in 1997? The reason I think they did was because the Conservatives really were hopeless at the time / the country clearly needed a change and the Sun didn't want to be seen to be backing a 'loser'. Rightly or wrongly, The Sun is one of the few newspapers which can actually get its readership to do something. Remember their 'Up Your's / Delours' campaign?

I'm not defending The Sun, by the way but I am defending people's rights to be able to read a 'Free Press'.

It will be interesting to see who The Sun will support in the next General Election - my money, at this point in time, would still be on Labour, as although David Cameron comes across as being 'alright', I don't think the Conservatives have too many policies at the moment that are going to win a General Election.

This is quite an interesting read. Due to my supporting Liverpool, I obviously don't read, discuss, or otherwise think about the Sun, and during the time I lived in England I must admit I never read it. Thanks for the synopsis of their political stance, of which I was totally ignorant. I'll still continue to boycott them for what they did re: Hillsborough, but I'll be a more informed boycotter.

ezik
13-09-2007, 00:39
Bringing in UK-Russia politics is irrelevant. Has nothing to to with it.

Nashi is a bunch of indoctrinated, bored, jobless, young ignorant losers from the suburbs who are desperately looking for something to believe in. Unaware of the world around them and happy to be so. Ideal tool for the demagogues.

No need to bring in UK politics. This bunch is sad enough by itself. Used and indoctrinated. Bring on the new elections and this bunch of kids is lost, only to cling on to the new anthem of the new and very contemporary governement.

They are going to be disposed off soon. Poor kids.