PDA

View Full Version : Seen "Black Swan"?

franzewich
30-01-2011, 19:46
Watched it this week - I really liked it! Somewhat different, full of tension and suspension, but also full of elegance and sensuality. Some of the more extreme scenes reminded me a very little bit of Roman Polanski's "Repulsion" with Caterine Deneuve.

Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis are simply phantastic! Find the movie very recommendable! Thumbs up!

TolkoRaz
30-01-2011, 20:33
Agree. :) Black Swan is a brilliant film :book:

Ruth123
30-01-2011, 20:35
Watched it this week - I really liked it! Somewhat different, full of tension and suspension, but also full of elegance and sensuality. Some of the more extreme scenes reminded me a very little bit of Roman Polanski's "Repulsion" with Caterine Deneuve.

Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis are simply phantastic! Find the movie very recommendable! Thumbs up!

The same guy who directed 'Requiem for a Dream'... ughhh, in two minds about seeing it, the Requiem was genius, yet too disturbing for my taste.

MickeyTong
30-01-2011, 20:44
...... Requiem was genius, yet too disturbing for my taste.

Then I strongly recommend that you DO NOT watch A Serbian Film.

TolkoRaz
30-01-2011, 20:47
Emir Kusturica's films are class! :)

Swordfish90293
30-01-2011, 20:55
Is Black Swan playing in Moscow now? If so, where?

robertmf
30-01-2011, 21:00
The same guy who directed 'Requiem for a Dream'... ughhh, in two minds about seeing it, the Requiem was genius, yet too disturbing for my taste.

Then, you might want to stay away from Repulsion and Un Chien Andalou :eh: Try Reservoir Dogs, instead :jester:

Ruth123
30-01-2011, 21:01
Then I strongly recommend that you DO NOT watch A Serbian Film.

I won't, for sure. ;)
Knowing our guys, probably the newborn that's being raped is a metaphor for Serbia or something and both Srđan Todorović and Sergej Trifunović are great actors - but, no, thank you, no need for that.

Kusturica's "Underground" was genius, last one of his movies i loved (others that i liked being Do you remember Dolly Bell, When father was away on business, Time of the Gypsies) but for him personally, like many ( not to say - most), have absolutely no respect for.

MickeyTong
30-01-2011, 21:12
I won't, for sure. ;)
Knowing our guys, probably the newborn that's being raped is a metaphor for Serbia ....

Supposedly so.....and other metaphors about making a fresh start away from previous affiliations, exploitation by people we don't know exist, "brothers" with strained relationships, the removal of personal agency, yadda yadda yadda....
....the whole film is supposed to be a metaphor for Serbia. I just thought it was extremely smutty and designed to shock, with "Serbia" very much an afterthought.

franzewich
30-01-2011, 21:27

totally different movie, I find.

Check out the "Black Swan" trailer (don't be disturbed about the Polish introduction, though! :) )

YouTube - BLACK SWAN - Official HD trailer

Ruth123
30-01-2011, 21:56
Try Reservoir Dogs, instead :jester:

Loved that one :thumbsup:

(Most of other Q.T. movies too. ;) )

tvadim133
30-01-2011, 22:19
I have found it in Russian (online movie) :(

http://kinofresh.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3098&Itemid=49

Ruth123
30-01-2011, 22:22
It will be showing in English at The Dome Cinema starting Feb 5th

If someone is up to going to the movies then - do wave. :)

MickeyTong
30-01-2011, 22:42
Kusturica's "Underground" was genius....

Downloading it right now.

robertmf
30-01-2011, 22:51
Since we seem to be evolving this thread into "Crazy [-]Ruth123[/-] Women in movies", I'll add the 1955 classic, Dementia

Dementia (1955) - IMDb@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTg3NjEwNjExOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjYxNTAyMQ@@._V1._SX99_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTg3NjEwNjExOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjYxNTAyMQ@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX99@@AMEPARAM@@SY140 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

TolkoRaz
30-01-2011, 22:53
Downloading it right now.

Enjoy Goran Bregovic's contribution to the film :)

Ruth123
30-01-2011, 23:05
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Since we seem to be evolving this thread into "Crazy [-]Ruth123[/-] Women in movies", I'll add the 1955 classic, Dementia

Nah, its evolving into "vile [-]robertmf[/-] men in movies" and here is one of my personal favorites (ever)

http://notquiteamerican.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/the_usual_suspects_dvd.jpg

franzewich
30-01-2011, 23:12
It will be showing in English at The Dome Cinema starting Feb 5th

Strange that Warsaw seems to be faster than Moscow for once! ;) Maybe they are just too lazy to dub it? :rasta:

martpark
30-01-2011, 23:23
You can find it online. I've watched the first few mins.

Kraven Morehead
31-01-2011, 03:59
Disturbing in a good way (instead trying to make a movie disturbing to gain media hype)
Ararat

Kraven Morehead
31-01-2011, 04:00
Nah, its evolving into "vile [-]robertmf[/-] men in movies" and here is one of my personal favorites (ever)

http://notquiteamerican.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/the_usual_suspects_dvd.jpg

You would like the early Nolan Brothers movie
Memento and The following

David Afonisky and Nolans are probably the best new directors/producers that Hollywood has

Ruth123
31-01-2011, 06:17
You would like the early Nolan Brothers movie
Memento and The following

David Afonisky and Nolans are probably the best new directors/producers that Hollywood has

I did love Memento! :thumbsup:

Swordfish90293
31-01-2011, 11:47
Strange that Warsaw seems to be faster than Moscow for once! ;) Maybe they are just too lazy to dub it? :rasta:

Although there are more cinemas in Russia (@1500) compared to Poland (@800) the difference in population and dispairity in distance make Poland a much more lucrative market for film distributors. A picture can play longer in Poland and thus make more, while in Russia a film must move in and out more quickly in order to make room for the next picture. It's this 'clogged pipe" that keeps many good films delayed from screening and short run once they get here...

The Last Picture Show (Colombia 1971)

Jeff Bridges, Sybil She[ard, Timothy Bottoms, Randy Quaid
by Peter Bogdonivich

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2180317465/

tvadim133
31-01-2011, 18:56
Although there are more cinemas in Russia (@1500) compared to Poland (@800) the difference in population and dispairity in distance make Poland a much more lucrative market for film distributors. A picture can play longer in Poland and thus make more, while in Russia a film must move in and out more quickly in order to make room for the next picture. It's this 'clogged pipe" that keeps many good films delayed from screening and short run once they get here...

The Last Picture Show (Colombia 1971)

Jeff Bridges, Sybil She[ard, Timothy Bottoms, Randy Quaid
by Peter Bogdonivich

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2180317465/

Exactly! That's why THe King's speech will be only in February here.

I guess, it is connected besides with traditional holidays here, when the main audience have time to go to the cinema.

+ marketing costs (for promotion): December (for January premier) costs huge ammount money, for example. and may be "mass market" movies can afford that (Avatar, Tourist).

The king's speech and The balck Swan are not, as far as I can see.

+++++

tvadim133
31-01-2011, 19:08
I have watched "Black Swan".

It is really a great movie and for me it would bedifficult to identify the style, the genre of it. May be a psychological drama?

This is an amazing and strage story, where you together with the main character can not differientiate the reality from the subconscious at all.

The story about the internal battles between 2 "me" of one and the same person, when only one "me" can win and another must die (nothing connected with a split personality, to my mind, though there are parallels).

What impressions do you have, if you watched the movie?

Swordfish90293
31-01-2011, 21:25

It is really a great movie and for me it would bedifficult to identify the style, the genre of it. May be a psychological drama?

This is an amazing and strage story, where you together with the main character can not differientiate the reality from the subconscious at all.

The story about the internal battles between 2 "me" of one and the same person, when only one "me" can win and another must die (nothing connected with a split personality, to my mind, though there are parallels).

Sounds like business as usual at my house...

franzewich
31-01-2011, 21:30

:) :) :)

tvadim133
31-01-2011, 22:30

Do you fignt against yourself or fight against your partner (wife)?

TolkoRaz
31-01-2011, 22:37

In one word 'Obsession' :piano:

tvadim133
31-01-2011, 22:43
In one word 'Obsession' :piano:

Yes, but Obsession is the feeling or emothing (or smth), when you have the idea, the though, which persues you.

The dancer did not have such kind of obsession.....it seems to me. She has smth hidden very deep in her brains (not idea, but feeling, hidden need, absence of self-actualization).

TolkoRaz
31-01-2011, 22:47
I am not a film critic, but IMHO she was totally obsessed with being the Black Swan to allow her to be perfect in both roles, the White and Black Swans. And, of course, to be better than her mother!

franzewich
31-01-2011, 23:21
I am not a film critic, but IMHO she was totally obsessed with being the Black Swan to allow her to be perfect in both roles, the White and Black Swans. And, of course, to be better than her mother!

Everybody who wants to be "first" has to be kind of obsessed!

Her dilemma was that the role of the white swan suited her perfectly, whereas she was too "good" to play the black swan. So she wanted to excel in order to stay in the play - otherwise she knew she would be out; just as her predecessor, who - possibly - was not able to perform as a white swan.

Part of the requirement was to re-discover her sexualtiy, without she would not be able to convey the evil part in her alter ego. So she partially fled into a different "real" world, partially into a phantasy world which, in the end, turned against herself.

Primary question: Did she really die at the end - or was it "just" another phantasy?

If anybody has seen Carlos Saura's "Carmen"? Brilliant movie about the prima ballerina in a flamenco school, similar tension between a "good" aging ballerina and new "bad" girl. Same question appears at the end!

Look at a clip and enjoy:

YouTube - Dance - Danza - Coreografia - Carmen

tvadim133
31-01-2011, 23:39
Primary question: Did she really die at the end - or was it "just" another phantasy?

I guess, it was another phantasy.

Why?

There was a tranformation of the ballet dancer equal to the death of one part and substitution with another of her.

The white swan is dead now, but then I do not understan her final worlds (I watched the movie in Russian unfortunately).

In Russian translation she said smth "Now I am perfect".

I would undersatnd these words if she said "I have been perect".

Or may be other ideas?

Swordfish90293
31-01-2011, 23:52
Do you fignt against yourself or fight against your partner (wife)?

I continually struggle with the demons that crawl around inside my brain. I think most people do. But I'm generally upbeat and happy...that's when I'm not contemplating mayhem.

I'm not married, but my one and only is a fountain of joy, an oasis for me in an often barren and hostile world. Sometimes we have friends over...

YouTube - Blue Velvet scene

tvadim133
01-02-2011, 00:01
I continually struggle with the demons that crawl around inside my brain. I think most people do. ...

[

I have given up!

My demons feel quite comfortable together with my angels inside.

It seems to me, they had a deal!

NotMe
01-02-2011, 14:23
I guess, it was another phantasy.

Why?

There was a tranformation of the ballet dancer equal to the death of one part and substitution with another of her.

The white swan is dead now, but then I do not understan her final worlds (I watched the movie in Russian unfortunately).

In Russian translation she said smth "Now I am perfect".

I would undersatnd these words if she said "I have been perect".

Or may be other ideas?

To my mind, it's difficult to say where a fantasy ends up and reality starts. :)

I don’t think that a White Swan is dead, anyway.
I suppose that, Nina’s words "Now I am perfect" or "I was perfect" mean that she отпустила себя at least for a while (exactly what Thomas told her) and allowed demons to exist together with angels inside her , acknowledging a dark side of her alter ego.

She suppressed a dark side of her for so long and it demanded her so efforts, that when she lost herself, demons prevailed over angels for a while, and that allowed her to achieve a perfect performance and be convincing in the role of Dark Swan.
But she is a White Swan by her nature. :)

Nobbynumbnuts
02-02-2011, 21:39

I just watched it. In places it was sheer brilliance and a ballet school is a great setting for a study of obsessive behaviour. Brilliant directing and the movie never let's up on pace.
One small criticism because the movie is about the struggle to achieve perfection, i thought there was just one too many 'psychotic episodes' by the main character. To my mind it started to become a little over the top towards the end.
Having said that one of the best films i've seen for a long time.
I could imagine neurotic young women going nuts about this film.

martpark
02-02-2011, 22:20
I watched the film too and was impressed. There a lot of symbolism between the actual ballet, Swan Lake, and the story in the film.

And please, try not to give away the entire film. Some people might want to see it still. :nerd:

franzewich
02-02-2011, 23:09
... And please, try not to give away the entire film. Some people might want to see it still. :nerd:

I think this might be one of the cult movies which I could watch again and again and discover something new every time, like "Pulp Fiction", "Amadeus", "Brazil", and so on ... ;)

Nobbynumbnuts
02-02-2011, 23:30
I think this might be one of the cult movies which I could watch again and again and discover something new every time, like "Pulp Fiction", "Amadeus", "Brazil", and so on ... ;)

I agree. I was tempted to use the word cult myself. I could imagine it taking on such proportions for women.
It's about the ballet, all but one of the main characters are women. The film has great inter reaction between the female characters on a range of female issues and highlights the worst of some female traits in a facinating way.
in fact the film is almost a 'chick flick' yet i think men will still enjoy it a great deal.

mattology
13-02-2011, 02:35
Watched it this evening at the Dome. Just mind-blowing. Absolutely great acting by Natalie Portman. I had chills throughout the entire movie, and I can't recall the last movie which I've enjoyed as much as I enjoyed this one...

Absolutely worth seeing, 10/10. Although maybe not everyone's taste.

naomita
13-02-2011, 11:55
Oh yes, I did, while ago )) and want to see it in cinema again. Btw I was supposed to see it yesterday, but we were late so we bought tickets to "How Do Yoy Know?"
God I wish we didn't! It was ridiculous! Unfortunately we were not alone, otherwise my husband and I would have left after 10 min.!

"Black Swan" is genuinely fantastic movie! Natalie Portman will get the Oscar absolutely for sure! She's perfect )))

P.S. I was so inspired with it, so impressed, I even made my own photo set about Black Swan )