PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite brand of VODKA?

Maine Surfer
26-10-2003, 02:54
Can't believe nobody has posted this poll yet. I want to hear what you people drink! I prefer Gray Goose, used to like Stoli, but not anymore.

My options maybe somewhat limited to my memory, media, and availability of brands here in the US since I haven't been to Russia in 6 years.

And remember, people who don't drink at all are HIGHLY suspicious :D :D :D

DaveUK1965
26-10-2003, 05:32
For some reason I go NUTS for Limmonaya vodka..... Posolskaya also has the strange effect of making the floor leap up at me, but after 500 gr I tend not to try fighting it back..... ;-)

Broadmoor Bob
26-10-2003, 12:02
Has anyone tried the four thousand ruble Kauffman? I wonder what makes it worth that, other than the fancy bottle. I'll probably spring for the 800 ruble Kauffman next time I have guests, but I can't see paying cognac/whisky prices for vodka.

machine
26-10-2003, 14:37
Dutch vodka Kettle One while I'm abroad and Flagman Night Desant in Russia - inexpencive and decent.
I used to like Youri Dolgoruki but it's become too expensive and I don't want to pay more than 8-10 bucks for a bottle of Russian vodka in Russia. It must be cheap here, for pete's sake!

DaveUK1965
26-10-2003, 16:17
Ahh- Ketel Een are doing vodka, now ?

Mention Ketel Een to anyone who`s lived in Holland and they`ll say "jenever, Meneer". Dutch gin.

In Schiedam, where it`s brewed - just down the road from where I used to live, they used to baptise babies with it. It IS good, though - someone I used to know liked it so much he drank himself to death with it - at 55. ;-))))

Must try the vodka, sometime, then. Ketel Een ("Barrel One") have got a very high reputation in Holland....

Broadmoor Bob
26-10-2003, 16:57
You can get Ketel Een vodka in the Heineken shop/bar on the second floor of the departures lounge in Sheremetevo. It is quite inexpensive there.

Maine Surfer
26-10-2003, 17:07
They sell Kettel One here on every corner. Never tried it though. It's amazing how much Russia changed in 8 years. When I was leaving, Smirnoff and Absolut were the only alternative to Stolichnaya, and people would buy 200 proof Royal to mix it with water. I've never heard of vodkas you guys are talking about

Broadmoor Bob
26-10-2003, 17:15
I had to go all the way to Warsaw to get spirt!

Jet
26-10-2003, 17:32
Anybody tried to drink Pervak??? You r all sisis then!!

Maine Surfer
26-10-2003, 17:58
I've tried pervach. It varies from person to person who makes it. Some are shit, and some are not bad. My father used to make quite good one :p :p :p To be honest with you, I 'll never touch it again, I'd rather drink Gray Goose!

Maine Surfer
26-10-2003, 18:08
Broadmoor Bob, I've heard they have vodka in Poland called Luksowa or smth like that. have you seen it in Warsaw?

DaveUK1965
26-10-2003, 18:22
For Polish vodka, try Grasowka or Zubrowka- no wonder there`s only one herd of bison left - the Poles take all the grass for the vodka. ;-))))))))

Maine Surfer
26-10-2003, 18:28
Dave,
I had original Zubrowka from Poland with a piece of grass inside (brought to me from Poland). Tried it and didn't like it quite a bit. My Polish friends were assuring me it had medicinal qualities :confused: (tasted like medicine anyway), I'm not sure what exactly, may be would numb tooth ache or desinfect open wound..... Or maybe I'd grow big like zubr if I drink it? They need to give it to Polish kids then- they'll grow big and healthy;)

DaveUK1965
26-10-2003, 18:34
It gets better after the first bottle, MS ;-)))))

Yep, Polish vodka is fine, but - not the real thing. ;-))) The only non- Russian vodka I like (apart from Zubrowka) are some of the Absolut ones - I know, flavoured vodka, terrible, but I do like the Limmonaya..... especially with Valzhaniya beer, which no one outside of Volgograd seems to have heard of....

Originally posted by Maine Surfer
Dave,
I had original Zubrowka from Poland with a piece of grass inside (brought to me from Poland). Tried it and didn't like it quite a bit. My Polish friends were assuring me it had medicinal qualities :confused: (tasted like medicine anyway), I'm not sure what exactly, may be would numb tooth ache or desinfect open wound..... Or maybe I'd grow big like zubr if I drink it? They need to give it to Polish kids then- they'll grow big and healthy;)

Maine Surfer
26-10-2003, 18:42
I think I've brought up quite interesting topic. Just talked to my cousin in Rostov-on-Don, he said they have a few dozens of different brands of locally made vodka and pivo, and then some nastoiki, balzami, etc. Said quite a few of them good, and locals almost do't drink known brands like Stoli, Absolut, etc, it's too expensive for them. They get some cheap Rostov-Papa or Na troih of decent quility and drink that.

Shoot I forgot to put new vodka from New Orleans called RAIN. The thing is unbeliavable, it come soooo close to Gray Goose. Anyone heard of it in Europe?

Braders
26-10-2003, 19:01
Any Vodka as long as the company is lively :D

DaveUK1965
26-10-2003, 20:31
Yep, heard of Rain !

Funny thing - you`re right about Rostov, too - I never really thought about it but they do the same in Volgograd... beer, vodka, shampanskoye - they`ll just have the local stuff. Cheaper. Usually better too, when you get used to it.....

Broadmoor Bob
26-10-2003, 22:50
Broadmoor Bob, I've heard they have vodka in Poland called Luksowa or smth like that. have you seen it in Warsaw?

Luksusowa is potato vodka - there is all you want in every supermarket in Warsaw. I only brought high proof stuff back with me ;)

jheisel
27-10-2003, 11:10
Grey Goose is indeed the best - has anyone been able to find it in Russia?

As for Kauffman, I tried it the other night at Night Flight's birthday party and was rather unimpressed. But hey, free is free.

Broadmoor Bob
27-10-2003, 13:30
SKYY vodka should be mentioned on the poll, but I have found it disappointing myself.

Jet
27-10-2003, 14:06
Try top brand Pervak from Ukraine, guys, you will live thru it and u won't have a hangover afterwards

machine
27-10-2003, 14:34
Originally posted by Broadmoor Bob
Has anyone tried the four thousand ruble Kauffman? I wonder what makes it worth that, other than the fancy bottle. I'll probably spring for the 800 ruble Kauffman next time I have guests, but I can't see paying cognac/whisky prices for vodka.

Looks more like a parfume bottle to me. Definately not worth that much money.
http://www.kauffman.ru/img/vodkakauffman.jpg .

Maine Surfer
27-10-2003, 18:07
Good question, where one can find Grey Goose in Moscow?

I've tried SKYY, expensive, and didn't impress me either. The worst decent vodka is Finlandia, I think.

Stoli (eksportnaya) was excellent here in the US untill late 90's, when the problems with copyright started in Moscow. Since then quility has deteorated.

Maine Surfer
28-10-2003, 01:33
Wow, looks like Russkii Standard is the most popular vodka in Russia now. Never even seen it. Is it cheap-good?

DaveUK1965
28-10-2003, 01:54
Originally posted by machine
Looks more like a parfume bottle to me. Definately not worth that much money.
http://www.kauffman.ru/img/vodkakauffman.jpg .

Now. That`s a GIRLS`bottle. ;-) What`s the one which looks like an AK-47 ?? ;-)) (probably Kalashnikov vodka...... ;-) )

machine
28-10-2003, 20:15
Originally posted by DaveUK1965
Now. That`s a GIRLS`bottle. ;-) What`s the one which looks like an AK-47 ?? ;-)) (probably Kalashnikov vodka...... ;-) )

Google helps... http://www.internetwines.com/rws28087.html

Maine Surfer
28-10-2003, 20:33
Vodka "Kalashnikov" is Original Russian vodka. Its unique mellow character and extremely high quality have been recognized through international awards that have made it famous the world over.

Famous the world over??? Fist time I hear about it. It hasn't even made it to the Mecca of Russian vodka- the Red Square in the Mandalay Bay.

Pride one things Russians are crazy about. Their stuff is "best in whole world". They have best everything: vodka, guns, planes, tanks, etc. (taken from conversations with ordinary Russians). What is it? A national phenomena? I think Grey Goose is better than Stoli, Abrams is better tham T-72, and M-16 is better than AK-47. But don't ever tell that to a Russian! (I don't like to lie so I'll be in a lot of trouble there)

Then again, there's American phenomena too: Davis, CA is the bicycle capital of the world (!!! that's what people who live there say, and sooo proud of it), NBA is the world championship, and a new play here in Maine is always world premier)

B the way, I've never tried Kremlyovskaya. Is it any good?

machine
28-10-2003, 21:49

B the way, I've never tried Kremlyovskaya. Is it any good?

Nah...same shit.

As to the pride thing...there's nothing unusual, it helps regular people to go through life. Take the pride from them - and there'll be not much left.

DaveUK1965
28-10-2003, 21:57
Hehee ! Well, I`ll take a Remington 700 BDL heavy barrel in .308 Winchester over an AK47 any day, but.... ;-))))

I never saw a bottle which looked LESS like a Kalashnikov, by the way - I think the designer DRANK the contents first. ;-)) If this is down to Mikhail Timofeivich, he really should retire. ;-)))

Mind you, I`ll still take Russian vodka over all others.... great, I`m being patriotic and I`m not even Russian ! ;-)

Broadmoor Bob
28-10-2003, 22:00
Russkiy Standart is expensive by Russian standards (no pun intended). There is a regular version for about 350 R/750 mls, and the platinum (no idea what the difference is - I have platinum in the house now) which probably approaches 500 R/750 mls these days.

machine
28-10-2003, 22:08
I'm telling you guys - try Flagman Nochnoy Desant - 0.75 for about 200 rubles.
Besides, Russian Standart has lost its place to White Gold from Chrystall distillery. It's even more expensive but very good indeed.

Maine Surfer
29-10-2003, 04:57
So, here's the stuff I'll try upon arrival to Moscow:

Russian Standard (definetely. looks like it's so popular)
Flagman Nochnoi desant
Kaufmann (there's much hype abot it)

Just bought Ketel One at my local place $12.99/750ml bottle. Cheap. Will wait until special occasion .

;)

Edith
29-10-2003, 10:22
I usually have Evreyskaya (Jewish) or Rzhennaya. They are as cheep as chips and have a much less fearsome morning after effect than many of the more expensive brands.

lochnessmonster
29-10-2003, 16:09
Edith, have you been watching 'Bargain Hunt' with David Dickinson? He's the only person I've ever heard say 'cheap as chips' and it has brought a big smile to this slow afternoon!!:D

DPG
29-10-2003, 17:18
What about Yuri Dolgoruki??

In my humble opinion it out strips even Russkiy Standart (which is my next choice from the vodkas available here).

Served in a cold glass straight from the freezer I think it has a far smoother taste than all of the above!

Edith
29-10-2003, 18:55
Lochnessmonster, your right it came straight off Bargain Hunt (and I’ve never even seen the programme only the trailer) and into my limited brain, I have even been known to use phrases like “Great Scott” after rereading my Boys’ Own annuals.

To get back to the highly relevant topic of vodka. Outside the bargain basement Byelorussian Beryozovaya vodka made by Kristal Brest (not Minsk) is great.

I have just read what I wrote Kristal Brest sounds like a big boobs award.
:) :)

dmitry2001
30-10-2003, 13:29
Originally posted by machine

Besides, Russian Standart has lost its place to White Gold from Chrystall distillery. It's even more expensive but very good indeed.

Agreed. Actually 3 premium brands of which two are worth consuming on regular basis: White Gold from Crystall distillers and Russkii Standart. Yuri Dolgorukii is also not bad but what for?
I don't like Flagman.
And pay attention to Gorilka from Ukraine. Nemiroff is one of my favourits especially when it is cold -- one with honey & pepper (thought gorilka is always with pepper or should be at least). o-susume

Braddock
31-10-2003, 12:26
STAROMOSKOVSY SHTOFF, quite limited, but worth it. Afterall, there is no good vodka, only bad, and the very bad.

Billie Bob
07-11-2003, 19:00
SKYY Vodka, blue bottle, filtered three times.

good stuff!

but from your list, I'd chose Russian StandarT.

to hell with kauffman vodka, b.s. and great marketing.

third place is crystal and 4th stoli.

dacha_culture
14-11-2003, 16:39
Grey Goose good? Are you guys drunk?

If you want to know how good a vodka is, you shoot it at room temperature and see how well it goes down (it should go down smoothly, and no chasing should be necessary for a good brand).

Basically, any Russian vodka costing 70-100 rubles or more can rival premium imports such as Grey Goose of Skyy. For more expensive Russian vodkas, White Gold and Russian Standard are both good vodkas. However, it isn't really necessary to waste money buying these brands: vodka isn't supposed to taste good, it's supposed to get you drunk. And just about any Russian vodka will allow you to get trashed without giving you a hangover in the morning. If you are looking for taste, go drink a wine cooler.

Maine Surfer
15-11-2003, 18:07
dacha_culture, any vodka will get you drunk, agreed. But...it's not that I get drunk, it's HOW I get drunk. I really enjoy drinking GG where most other vodkas I'd rugher gulp and get over with. I never drink vodka at room temp, always chilled, and from my experience GG is the smoothest. Not one Russian brand compares (then again I've never tried all those new fancy brands, just old tried and true ones coming from way back). And Russian vodka have made me sick when GG feels much better next morning. GG is so myagkaya

dacha_culture
16-11-2003, 12:28
MS, it doesn't look like you've tried real Russia vodka either. Maybe you've run into bootlegged vodka - here in Russian there's a problem of people selling fake stuff as the real deal, and that stuff will mess you up. But if you drink real Russian vodka, you won't get messed up.

Dianavw
29-11-2003, 13:59
Русский Стандарт

Sadie
29-11-2003, 14:26
no comment

Free Man
08-12-2003, 23:59
hmm...

russki standart is fine. I kind of agree with another poster, Skyy vodka is also great stuff.

Kshisya
09-12-2003, 09:29
:rolleyes:
Только русский человек услышав слово "пол-литра" не станет спрашивать пол-литра чего?
:p

Maine Surfer
26-12-2003, 12:13
O boje!, Vodka is so cheap here! Forget about those $25 botles of good stuff back at home. Price/quality is what matters. Strangely enough all I've had in RUSSIA, the land of vodka, in 2 weeks was a couple bottles of Staropramen beer.

sevan
25-02-2004, 09:17
Best vodka I've had recently cost 87 rubles for a retro-looking Soviet-era bottle. Name is also from back when: "Glavspirttrest".

Filimon
25-02-2004, 13:56
Originally posted by Kshisya
:rolleyes:
Только русский человек услышав слово "пол-литра" не станет спрашивать пол-литра чего?
:p

better still, only a Russian when asked "how much is two times 500 grams?" will answer "A litre". Try it, it works.

Russian Standart Platinum is the best. Better than Dolgorukiy, way better than Gray Goose or Absolut. The difference between the ordinary Russian Standart - the water is filtered using sliver filters.

From cheap stuff - Gzhelka seems to hit the spot quite well. Beware of bootleg though, there's a lot out there!

Jet
22-04-2004, 11:57
I can enjoy both Standart Platinum and Gzhelka and drink it with any soda, bubbles don't have a strong effect on me

Maine Surfer
28-06-2004, 17:28
Having been here for 6 months, let me tell you boyz n girlz, vodka is cheap and great in Russia! No comparison with old good USA where there isn't much competition. Vodka is the liquid of choice here, and most of it quite good. Flagman Nocnoi desant is among better ones. Forget about Gray Gooze, vodka I voted for about 7 months ago. Na zdorov'e.