PDA

View Full Version : Concorde

Braders
24-10-2003, 20:42
Having watched the coverage for a couple of hours i can honestly say it's well sad that a company like BA claim they cannot afford to maintain their fleet of Concordes, (that's the real reason whatever they spout about 9/11 and the Concorde crash in Paris)

Step in Richard Branson who would have looked extremely patriotic and we all know if anyone could turn it around he could, but no that would have been egg on the face for BA and certain Lords and a few Politicians.

So what do the muppets do scrap it and sell parts to Museums all over the world, to make a few more quid no doubt.

'Cutting of your nose to spite your face'

Ashamed to be British like so many who took who took part on that last flight'

DaveUK1965
24-10-2003, 20:53
Well, as it said on the box. Braders, Concorde was an ambassador for UK aviation, but the Government here just totally ignored it and never sponsored it after Ol Ma Snatcher cut the reins.....

Branson apparently wanted to buy the Concorde fleet for 1 (oh yeah) but BA could still use `em for "heritage flights" - so that`s a "No Sale" there - plus Airbus apparently blocked any exterior maintenance deals which were being set up......

So, wait 20-30 years for the Boeing SST or hitch a lift on a F-16 if you want to go supersonic, now.......... another example of the worship of total mediocrity in the UK.

Originally posted by Braders
Having watched the coverage for a couple of hours i can honestly say it's well sad that a company like BA claim they cannot afford to maintain their fleet of Concordes, (that's the real reason whatever they spout about 9/11 and the Concorde crash in Paris)

Step in Richard Branson who would have looked extremely patriotic and we all know if anyone could turn it around he could, but no that would have been egg on the face for BA and certain Lords and a few Politicians.

So what do the muppets do scrap it and sell parts to Museums all over the world, to make a few more quid no doubt.

'Cutting of your nose to spite your face'

Ashamed to be British like so many who took who took part on that last flight'

RGO
24-10-2003, 20:59
Braders,
i've got a lot of time for Branson but he never had any intention of taking over Concord. He knew BA would never sell it to him and he only made the offer to get free publicity (he's the king at it) and to make BA look cheap and unpatriotic retiring it.
With one sentance "sell me concord" he put another nail in BA's coffin and you know the history of Branson and BA is long and bitter.
Long live the master.

DaveUK1965
24-10-2003, 21:01
Yep, just a cheap marketing ploy by Richard "I can`t stand to have my face off TV for a second" Branson....

DaveUK1965
24-10-2003, 21:04
Incidentally, did anyone on this site ever meet anyone who flew on the TU-144 ? I hear the internal Russian flights were INCREDIBLY noisy...... you had to shout to make yourself heard.

Pity- real pity - about the Paris Air Show crash of the TU 144 in 73 - and yes, I remember it well - if the French hadn`t buzzed the "Concordski" with a Mirage in an attempt to get a photo of the canards, the history of SST transport may have looked a lot different......

Braders
24-10-2003, 21:25
I agree about Branson, he is a master of publicity, if BA had called his bluff though i think he would have gone for it, if only because he is eccentric, adventurous and sometimes a complete nutter ;)

Jeremy Clarkson (Mr speed) came down the steps after the last flight and said straight to the awaiting cameras 'a terrible day and i can't believe for one minute they couldn't have sat down and thrashed this out'.

BA are boring and unadventurous (now) completely the opposite of the one Man who could have saved Concorde.

One guy said on SKY that this would never have happened in America if it was their invention, how true that rings.

uninformed
24-10-2003, 23:42
Well....I'd be reluctant to fly on a 27 year old supersonic airplane. I suspect they just aren't safe anymore. Time to retire them. Plus....who gives a shit about the kind of person who flies on them, anyway?

DaveUK1965
24-10-2003, 23:46
Ahhhhhh - he`s forgetting how old the 747 is, and it`s actually a worse bit of engineering than any transonic aircraft....... ;-)))))

Though I have to agree with you about Concorde passengers. ;-)))))

Originally posted by uninformed
Well....I'd be reluctant to fly on a 27 year old supersonic airplane. I suspect they just aren't safe anymore. Time to retire them. Plus....who gives a shit about the kind of person who flies on them, anyway?