PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Before Logging Onto the Internet

Hermione
24-10-2003, 00:04
Damn it! it's not a joke, that's a real stuff I found on Catholic online!!

Prayer Before Logging Onto the Internet
and Before using the Catholic Online Forum

Almighty and eternal God,
who created us in Thy image
and bade us to seek after all that is good, true and beautiful,
especially in the divine person
of Thy only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
grant we beseech Thee that,
through the intercession of Saint Isidore, bishop and doctor,
during our journeys through the internet
we will direct our hands and eyes
only to that which is pleasing to Thee
and treat with charity and patience
all those souls whom we encounter.
Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Broadmoor Bob
24-10-2003, 00:17
Originally posted by Hermiona

we will direct our hands and eyes
only to that which is pleasing to Thee

No comment, as this was not posted in Bardak :)

Hermione
24-10-2003, 00:26
Originally posted by Broadmoor Bob
No comment, as this was not posted in Bardak :)
BB, u know, it took me long to decide finally, just thought it would be too much
i am now looking for analog just for bardak purposes:D

Broadmoor Bob
24-10-2003, 00:46
Originally posted by mjhamson
You know... the history and track record of the Catholic Church is deplorable.

I am an atheist, and not of Catholic background at all, but to each his or her own. Yes, there have been unpleasant episodes in Catholic church history, but any religion can easily be abused. Just look and see how much the top clergymen in all religions here in Russia are bringing in for themselves, and how little they do for their flocks.

Those pedophile priests are not the norm for the Catholic church, and pedophile clergy are proving to be a problem in all religions right now, to say nothing of pedophile teachers of no particular religious background being found in schools from time to time.

I also happen to think that Pope John Paul II is one of the truly great men of our time, and it is sad to see his physical deterioration, especially as I remember quite well how energetic he was when he assumed the papacy.

DaveUK1965
24-10-2003, 03:59
Funnily enough, neither the Pope nor his predecessor ever condemned the IRA nor was anyone excommunicated for membership. Therefore I conclude that the Pope will turn a blind eye to protestant children being blown in half.

We may want to remember the Vatican`s total silence over the Holocaust at this point.....

..... and perhaps the misery called by the Papal reluctance to drop it`s prohibitions on birth control, which has resulted in poverty for millions to fulfill the crazy idea of "my religion has more members than yours".......

I`ve nothing against catholicism per se, as all organised religions seem particularily bad to me, but..... if the Vatican is supposed to be an upholder of moral fortitude as well, it`d be really nice if they occaisionally tried a little self criticism....

J.D.
24-10-2003, 08:17
I think all religions are self-serving more or less. The Catholic church is definitely in the 'more' category but that should not be a surprise since that is exactly what it was designed to be.

A small clarification, all religions are self-serving its just a question of who they will allow into the group to be 'self-sevrved'.
I guess an additional clarification would be that there may be more than one class in the group and only the upper class reaps the big benifits.

Ned Kelly
24-10-2003, 10:33
I think the pope as an individual and as a Pole is truly remarkable. But I think his leadership of the church and its policies in Africa and other places have been pretty awful.

As to reaching out to Russia, this country has its own church and the catholics have plenty of souls to save in more needy parts of the world, better it concentrates there and let the Orthodoc Church here rebuild itself.

DaveUK1965
24-10-2003, 20:03
Originally posted by mjhamson
Dave,
ohh... and where is the apology to Ireland for killing of their people in the genecide that is so dearly regarded as the "famine"

:p

Hehee ! Hi MJ - well, no need to tell me about that - happened that my relatives personally starved to death over in Ireland in the 1840`s. And yep, they were Catholic......

However. The Pope not condemning the depredations of the IRA is a little more a product of modern times and modern politics.... from 1926 on, not one terrorist - and the IRA are terrorists - was ever excommunicated by Pope after Pope after Pope. No matter what they did. I agree, the present Pope has done a lot of good in the world. For his own cause - nearly exclusively.