View Full Version : First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes - the TRP?

05-01-2011, 02:43
Thank you all for having such an great forum,

I am a 61 year old US citizen and currently still living in the US. I met a Russian woman online, have visited her in Moscow already, and I plan to come again in the next month. We are not engaged yet but we might as well be as we have already developed a plan of my moving to Russia permanently sometime between June and August. I will arrive on a work visa teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) for one of Moscow’s TEFL schools. That visa will keep me here for a year. I am positive that within a few months of living here we will be engaged since she is the reason I am moving. I have been told I could keep renewing my school contract and thus continue to stay here on the work visa but I don’t like the idea of my permanency in Russia being tied to a job. Who knows what could happen?

While on my prior visit here we went to the US embassy. Our contact there told us that marriage will not keep me in Russia. After reviewing your forum I now think and hope she meant that was that marriage does not in itself negate the need for other steps. From what I have now learned in this forum, it appears marriage would be the 1st step, getting a Temporary Residence Permit (TRP) the 2nd step, and Permanent Residency the 3rd . My questions are…

. Are the steps I just described correct?
. We will not rush our marriage due to work visa deadlines, even though I expect that decision may result in my depending on renewing my work visa for a 2nd year. Assuming we are married within a year of my arriving on the work visa, can I safely assume that 9 months to a year should be plenty of time to get the TRP? Or should I consider the possibility of needing to depend on a work visa for a 3rd year?
. Is there an agency I can pay to make the TRP an easier as well as a less harrowing and time consuming process? If so, are you able to give names and contact info?
. I have read the steps necessary to get a TRP on your forum. You have mentioned several pitfalls. Is there 1 or 2 of those that, if done incorrectly, cause the most delays?
. I expect I will like TEFL. But once I have secured a TRP, then if I choose not to continue with TEFL, am I then allowed to compete for employment like a Russian citizen?

Thank you for your help

05-01-2011, 03:42
Hello Joe,

If you're married, you shouldn't have any problems getting a TRP. It takes up to 6 months from the date you submit your complete set of documents. So if you start the TRP process at the end of the first year, a 1-year visa should give you plenty of time.

The most difficult document is the police certificate which you will have to get from the FBI (with fingerprints). It's only valid for 90 days from the day the FBI issues the certificate, so you will have to apply from Russia. The US embassy can tell you where to get the fingerprint card made in Moscow. Then you will have to post the card and application form to the FBI in Washington. Once the FBI issues the certificate, you will have to get it Apostilled at the State Department (federal).
You should budget about 1 month for the FBI to do their part, and then the best option is to get a legal secretary in Washington to organise the Apostille for you (takes 1 day instead of 3 weeks). Also, if you have a friend who the FBI can post your certificate to, it's quicker than sending it to Moscow and back.
Some legal secretaries are: (I haven't used these personally)

There is an agency - Liga Consulting - who can probably help with the TRP. Their rates are very reasonable. Contact details are at: http://www.rusvisa.org

Once you have a TRP, you can easily apply for a work permit, which allows you to work in any job in the region where you are registered. But remember that a lot of jobs require a good knowledge of Russian language.

1 year after your TRP is granted, you can apply for a PRP if you wish. But you actually have 3 years before your TRP will expire. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. TRP allows you drive using your foreign license. PRP allows you to travel from Russia without an entry/exit notification. I think both have some annual administration requirements.

I hope that helps!

06-01-2011, 12:21
I am very curious to know about russian marriage

Which parts are you curious about?

From an administrative point of view, it isn't so difficult. The foreigner has to go to his embassy in Moscow and they will issue a Certificate of No Impediment (in Russian). Then the husband and wife go to ZAGS, sign some forms, and wait for 30 days. After the 30 days, they can return to confirm that they want to be married and collect their marriage certificate.