PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! any suggestions....apart from moving!

pablo1uk
25-07-2007, 12:02
I'm practically on the verge of going mad! What it is we bought our appartment just inside the Garden Ring near Paveletzkaya 2 years ago, and we have since 100% renovated, what was once a complete s@@@hole into a very nice apartment. Now what is really annoying me is the state of the whole building in general, and peoples general lack of respect for it.

Basically in the winter we have vagabonds who populate the stairs and smell and leave their rubbish. When they are not there in the summer, residents when the rubbish shoot isnt working ,simply leave their rubbish next to it (instead of going just outside to the communal bins). The entrance is a total disaster and needs completely renovating. People on the first floor use the box, which is meant for junk mail as the dustbins. My GF tells me this is quite normal for Moscow, apart from new buildings of course.

My idea would be to get everybody together who can afford to chip in and get it renovated. However in my dealings with Russians I have found them to be apathetic about almost EVERYTHING, changing anything, politics whatever. Anybody any ideas in how to drum some enthusiasm into Russians, without resorting to shoving rockets up their @@@@@ would be greatly appreciated, or anybody who has come out of the good side of a similar situation

thanks

Tanya1
25-07-2007, 13:41
I'm practically on the verge of going mad! What it is we bought our appartment just inside the Garden Ring near Paveletzkaya 2 years ago, and we have since 100% renovated, what was once a complete s@@@hole into a very nice apartment. Now what is really annoying me is the state of the whole building in general, and peoples general lack of respect for it.

Basically in the winter we have vagabonds who populate the stairs and smell and leave their rubbish. When they are not there in the summer, residents when the rubbish shoot isnt working ,simply leave their rubbish next to it (instead of going just outside to the communal bins). The entrance is a total disaster and needs completely renovating. People on the first floor use the box, which is meant for junk mail as the dustbins. My GF tells me this is quite normal for Moscow, apart from new buildings of course.

My idea would be to get everybody together who can afford to chip in and get it renovated. However in my dealings with Russians I have found them to be apathetic about almost EVERYTHING, changing anything, politics whatever. Anybody any ideas in how to drum some enthusiasm into Russians, without resorting to shoving rockets up their @@@@@ would be greatly appreciated, or anybody who has come out of the good side of a similar situation

thanks

I had such an experience when i 've bought my apartment. It was no so bad as in your case (we didnt have vagabonds) but the neighbors didnt care about the entrance and 1st floor appearance. What i have done is i asked the company to estimate expences , divided on number on appartments and asked every neighbour to participate. the cost at that time was around 100$ /each appartment and considering that all people have bought their appartments i would suggest they had such money. But only about around 70% paid and i covered the rest. Still i reimbursed it when i was selling my appartment there and the German guy who was buying it said he is ready to pay this sum because the entrance is clear and it is very important to him.

Kingwillhe
25-07-2007, 13:59
Been there. Everything you say, we have been there.

We used to have some flats we remonted and rented, the buildings had the same problem with vagrants, so we took up a collection to get a security door. It took over a year of cajoling and still 15% of the residents didn't pay.

I'm sure the elevator had its counter balance cable removed for sale as scrap long before that article appeared in the MT's since it never did work and after the door fiasco we certainly weren't going there. At least no one could use it as a toilet since we now had the door. Thank God for small victories!

All the mailboxes eventually got pried open, probably by the tenants themselves who had lost their keys. We even had the entrance way re-tiled (again, the collection thing) but everyone decided to do the area outside their door to their own tastes, ended up looking like hell. Just like all the exterior windows which were a complete mess, no continuity and they were really nice buildings.

I could go on and on. Where we live, our own flat, we don't do anything except keep the door in good repair. I do it myself as every day someone will disable it with a rock or take the pin out of the return piston.

What are you going to do, just live with it.

J.D.
25-07-2007, 15:11
My situation is simalar. The maintanance company actually keeps things up pretty well and we have a security door to keep the bums out but, while my neighboors are generally nice people they do not have my standards when it comes to the common area. I've thought about starting some sort of an association but I'm told that most of them lack any realization of the problem, not to mention money. Also there are nearly 50 units in my stairwell (?) and I can't imagine getting that many people to agree on something.

pablo1uk
25-07-2007, 15:23
by the maintenence company you mean the people who clean it every week...as we have similar, and it seems this is all we get for the money that we pay out every month. Would be better if this money was directed to some responsible person in the building who could keep it and re-direct it towards any renovation work that actuall needs doing....but i think it is unfortunately too much like initiative for 99% of the people. Hey and all this propoganda that Russians get the most out of what they have got....I've got opposite experience

Digenis Akritas
25-07-2007, 15:44
I will never ever understand how Russians can tolerate the state of their podezdy. It completely blows my mind.

I've lived in Russia for quite a few years now and have been in very few building entryways (except in elite buildings) where I didn't have to hold my breath. Regardless of how nice the actual apartments are, the entryways have the stench of urine and cigarettes. They are poorly lit and usually have mismatched tile, cracked cement, and the oddest selection of paint colours.

My wife is Russian and has already mentioned that she is embarrassed for my family to see the Russian entryways when they come to visit in the autumn... I would be too. I just don't understand how people who are even quite orderly in their own apartments can allow things to get so much out of repair.

And it seems like the common response here is that one must 'deal with it'. ::sigh::

pablo1uk
25-07-2007, 15:49
Yes, I am also in same situation. Half my family is coming over for our wedding in 3 weeks. I will issue masks and biological suits at the entrance....:happymad:

Kingwillhe
25-07-2007, 16:14
Understand that it is no easier for the other tenants to get anything done.

Our condominium society steals the entire maintenance budget as soon as they get it. That means if the stairwell light ballast fails, you better be prepared to lend your ladder and tools. Take time off from work because it won't get done otherwise. I know few Russians who are prepared to do this, easier to buy a flashlight.

We have some fairly normal neighbors, you see one of them on the nightly news.

Most of us expats can flee for short breaks, imagine getting worn down by the constant hassle. I understand the situation more now than I did when I first came to Moscow.

Iíve never lived in an elite apartment complex in Moscow, but I have in other cities. I prefer getting acclimated and just adapting, going through the shock everyday is not helpful to understanding your neighbors.