PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a hat?

Chads
16-12-2010, 11:14
Hi

The family back home are all craving some Russian winter woolly hats for xmas presents.

Where can I shop for fur hats?

I have looked on Arbat, but they're all made from cat fur and are far too expensive. There must be a bustling market somewhere, full of them.

Thanks

annasophia
16-12-2010, 11:41
Wool? On the street, at the rynoks. In front of Kievskaya Metro (ok well not today maybe.....) The Gorbushka rynok.

Then there are the hat vendors at Izmolova, they'll sell you a (fur) hat or die trying.

Konkovo. Great rynoks for higher end goods.

Audoin
16-12-2010, 12:06
Izmaylovkiy vernissage close Izmaylovkiy park at metro partizanskaya is definetly the best place... Be prepared for a tough bargain...
1500 to 2500 rub each... after bargaining.

annasophia
16-12-2010, 12:16
"1500 to 2500 rub each... after bargaining." For a wool hat?

I bought a beautiful wool beret type hat--thick undyed wool, generously proportioned--from a babushka in front of Kievskaya Metro for 200 rubles.

Now there used to be a shop space on Kuznetsky Most (kind of across the street from the bookstore, open only for the holiday season) that was a rabbit warren of vendors for the holidays. In there were several vendors with the most beautiful wool felt hats with ribbons and bows and hats of all colors and styles. Really beautiful wool felt hats. *sigh*

I love hats.

ReallyGreatConcerts
16-12-2010, 12:34
Several metro stations have kiosks selling hats in their passages nearby.

If you can't find any other, then at Sukharevskaya metro there's a small kiosk selling all kinds of hats, very inexpensively.

However, I think the original poster here is looking for the classic "ushanka" kind of Russian fur hat - more as a souvenir than to wear himself? :)

I have a black beret too... but it's not particularly Russian-looking :)

FatAndy
16-12-2010, 14:43
Yes, very probably Chads means not wool but fur hat, like ushanka. Yes, indeed - markets, malls - everywhere.
If really wool one needed, like knitwear "pidorka" (sorry, ladies!) - any of underpasses or kiosks, markets as well.

Chads
16-12-2010, 17:38
Yes, to clarify, definitely a fur hat, like this one....

http://www.luxist.com/photos/santa-baby-wish-list/1223371/

I know friends who ski or snowboard who would love one of these, in a tongue in cheek way.

FatAndy
16-12-2010, 17:47
It is NOT very convenient to wear FUR hat while skiing or snowboarding. They will overheat for sure.

Knitwear "pidorki" will perform better, you can search those with Russian symbolics in souvenir kiosks.

Fur hats are more suitable for walking, and slow riding or slow cross-country skiing at -18...-40 temp.

Emoo
22-04-2011, 00:48
honestly best place i reckon for hats is Izmailovo market, its better to go during the week, its free entry and the sellers are so desperate to sell anything they're are much cheaper. Bought a hat on a saturday: cost me 500rub, bout an identicle one on a monday: 200rub!!
and i got one like the one in the picture for 1700rub.

robertmf
22-04-2011, 02:21
Yes, to clarify, definitely a fur hat, like this one....

http://www.luxist.com/photos/santa-baby-wish-list/1223371/

I know friends who ski or snowboard who would love one of these, in a tongue in cheek way.

:beerbros: Yah, the ushanka is too warm and bulky for active sports.

Compare luxist.com and the below Fur Hat World
http://www.furhatworld.com/russian-hats-c-42_45.html

The male models are the same :question:

:hippydj: