PDA

View Full Version : Moscow Questions

Scospi
21-10-2003, 23:36
Hi Folks.

I am considering taking a job in Moscow (it's a writing/editing job at a major int'l firm). A bit of background on myself:

I already speak Russian; studied it both at uni & in the (then) USSR. I've lived in Prague & traveled a lot in Poland, Lithuania, & similar places. So I know this part of the world well &, despite the hassles, like it a lot. However, I haven't been in the city of Moscow, or even in the Russian Fed., since 1987. In other words, my memory of the city includes a lot of Lenin posters & bread lines.

So I guess my big question is what can I expect if I land in the city now. I follow the news media & know what's going on there, but hearing from people actually living there would be a great help.

Also, any information on cost of living, affordability & state of housing, transport, urban infrastructure, bureaucracy etc. would be most welcome. I understand that Moscow is a lot more expensive than Prague or other E. European cities, but I really need to know just how expensive it is.

I realize this is a lot to ask for, & I'll be grateful for all your responses.

Thanks!

geneven
21-10-2003, 23:49
Take the job!

Read the Expat site to get an idea of what things are like here. It's a well-liked city. It's not as expensive as it is reputed to be, especially if you can get anything approaching a western-level salary. This topic has been discussed here endlessly, so you might not get a giant response to your inquiry. You will find many other responses to similar inquiries.

Teutonic Deity
22-10-2003, 01:31
Originally posted by Scospi
Also, any information on cost of living, affordability & state of housing, transport, urban infrastructure, bureaucracy etc. would be most welcome. I understand that Moscow is a lot more expensive than Prague or other E. European cities, but I really need to know just how expensive it is.

In very simplistic terms, you can live quite comfortably on about $1k/month if you are single. This is renting a modest one room apartment, shopping at normal stores, and avoiding expensive clubs and restaraunts. You could even do it for less, but depends on where your comfort zone is.

At the other end of the spectrum there are folks who live at $10k+/month levels...

twaj
23-10-2003, 02:26
I make less money than I've made at other 'real' jobs I've had in the US and I'm able to go out every weekend, and it's really easy to find a college-age girlfriend. You can find all the basics at stores, and even exotic stuff like tobasco sauce and curry paste. The only things I miss are the weather and free refills.