PDA

View Full Version : Latest News

jheisel
19-07-2007, 14:34
this thing is really annoying and screws up my new posts scans. can you turn it off, or how can I avoid it?

Digenis Akritas
19-07-2007, 14:36
I agree. Let's ditch this 'Latest News' feature or make a way to disable it.

boscoe
19-07-2007, 17:04
I think removing it from the new posts is good - but I quite like it otherwise!

TD
19-07-2007, 22:33
working on removing it from new posts... once the automation is adjusted properly the news will only be posted once every 2 - 3 hours and all newsfeeds will be posted at the exact same time - this means you will see all these items as a single block and can just skip over it if you want

Sidney Bliss
19-07-2007, 22:48
It's extremely frigging annoying. Mainly because none of it's news to me.

DBND
19-07-2007, 23:50
I was going to give it about 24 hours more. Then probably the first time ever I use the ignore button on someone/thing...

TD, the service is a nice try! Unfortunately it just doesn't turn out to be attractive to me.

DBND

J.D.
20-07-2007, 22:18
I think it's a pain also.
And how is this a forum item? There are plenty of places to go on the net for a 'news feed'. If there was some sort of filter to make it Russia specific then maybe, but still only maybe. I already do enough sorting through the spam in my email.

DBND
20-07-2007, 23:02
Hmm, ignoring just makes the threads empty, but they are still there!

Any solution to this?

Sidney Bliss
21-07-2007, 00:02
I already do enough sorting through the spam in my email.

So dispense with the charade and stop writing to yourself. You've got real friends here.

J.D.
21-07-2007, 08:51
Are you suggesting that I put in a filter to block my own emails from myself? Sounds like a form of suicide. People go to hell for that. Not to mention that it would lend credence to the government's claim that people need to be protected from themselves.

You're a dangerous fellow, instigator, conspirator, agent provocateur . . .

DBND
21-07-2007, 09:28
Are you suggesting that I put in a filter to block my own emails from myself? Sounds like a form of suicide. People go to hell for that. Not to mention that it would lend credence to the government's claim that people need to be protected from themselves.

You're a dangerous fellow, instigator, conspirator, agent provocateur . . .

So you're not originally from Nigeria, and having problems with your bank account? :confused:

TD
22-07-2007, 04:00
ok folks, for those of you who don't like the "latest news" I have found the perfect solution... this will allow you to create your own personal version of the expat.ru forums

for instance if there are only 3 or 4 forums out of 30 that you want to see, you can now have only those 3 or 4 show up!

simply go to the user options (http://www.expat.ru/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions) page and highlight the forums which you DO NOT want to see, then click on the save button below

this will remove the selected forums from view and from the "new posts" listing... this does not yet, and may not ever, work with the iSPY page however

enjoy!

J.D.
22-07-2007, 06:09
Thanks TD. Although sometimes a user does bring in a relevant and/or interesting news item this automatic stuff is a bit much.
So now if we elminate these news items from our 'New Posts' and one of them does develop into an interesting thread will we continue to be unaware of it?

Kokomo
22-07-2007, 21:59
as an option, perhaps, have more "russian" or moscow news, would seem better fit, to consider, responsing... the CIS, FSU...

TD
23-07-2007, 01:38
as an option, perhaps, have more "russian" or moscow news, would seem better fit, to consider, responsing... the CIS, FSU...

it is still a new feature, and will be fine tuned over time

if you find any cool RSS feeds that you feel are more relevant, please feel free to make suggestions or recommendations :-)

jheisel
29-07-2007, 18:59
why not just kill the latest news feed, full stop? if you look at the thread views, most of them hover in the range of 0.

TD
30-07-2007, 14:16
as I explained it is very easy to disable it and never ever see it again, so what's the problem?

several people have voiced opinions about not liking it, but there has not been any sort of overwhelming opposition to it

one thing I am considering is creating a separate news category - this way you can simply disable the category if you don't want the news feeds instead of looking for them everywhere

liamsf
30-07-2007, 14:34
as I explained it is very easy to disable it and never ever see it again, so what's the problem?
Some of the folders they post to don't show up for me in the Forums to Exclude in my user CP so I can't block them and they still fill up my New Posts list.

rosieredwood
30-07-2007, 16:13
why not just kill the latest news feed, full stop? if you look at the thread views, most of them hover in the range of 0.

It's a "stats" generating ploy to generate more "posts" for advertisers to see to keep them happy.

TD
30-07-2007, 16:18
It's a "stats" generating ploy to generate more "posts" for advertisers to see to keep them happy.

not at all - the only stats we show to advertisers are the amount of unique visitors to the site and what pages they look at most

content is for users, not for advertisers

TD
30-07-2007, 16:19
Some of the folders they post to don't show up for me in the Forums to Exclude in my user CP so I can't block them and they still fill up my New Posts list.

please let me know which ones so I can look into it

liamsf
30-07-2007, 16:26
please let me know which ones so I can look into it
Russian News and Expat List.

TD
30-07-2007, 19:22
i have identified the problem - should have it fixed this evening

TD
30-07-2007, 20:56
its been fixed - you should be able to see/select all of them now

jheisel
31-07-2007, 15:45
latest news sucks. please turn it off.

the one cool thing is that you can give it negative rep points.

Digenis Akritas
31-07-2007, 15:53
Hear, hear!

Let's just scrap it altogether. I went to disable it following the instructions and I still saw it sometimes. Probably what Liamsf explained above. I'm losing any affection to expat.ru because of it.... I don't want to waste my time sifting through that crap.

But to be democratic about it, let's create a poll and ask the simple question:

Do you want to keep the Latest News feature?
- Yes
- No

How about that? In fact, I'll go make the poll right now.

TD
01-08-2007, 05:04
ok I have made this even simpler, and moved all the news to its own category

if you don't want the news, you now only need to select ONE thing out of the list, and it will automatically include everything below it

go to your user options page (http://www.expat.ru/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions), select the item "Headlines :: Latest News", and click on the "save changes" button

jheisel
01-08-2007, 10:26
TD, this seems a very Russian way of doing things. Rather than just turn it off for everyone, since pretty much nobody has spoken out in favor of it you're just saying "look how easy it is. if it bothers you it's YOUR problem."

well, as admins, it's YOUR problem when users don't like the site. and honestly speaking, I am getting sick of wading through the Latest News posts to look for real postings, and will probably just stop visiting these boards (like many others) if these postings don't disappear.

Digenis Akritas
01-08-2007, 10:32
TD, thanks for doing that.

I'll give it a try your way; hopefully that will solve the problem and hassle of wading through pages of crap to find useful content at Expat.ru. We'll let you know either way :)

Clean32
01-08-2007, 10:43
I want the News, JUST NOT IN NEW POSTS!!

why cant the news go back in the news place where it was before ??

boscoe
01-08-2007, 11:45
The stats show that some people do read them - I agree there is too much and and it shouldn't show in new posts - we're looking at solutions...

Kokomo
01-08-2007, 23:02
there's still a serious "peregruz" with the news.

people might be reading them, but nobody is replying about them.

just have a separate news feed, into one folder perhaps, or have a running line - table above or below the forum, or on a separate page.