PDA

View Full Version : Any way around getting ripped off by the British embassy?

TomSan
07-12-2010, 20:45
You have to pay the British embassy over 120 to get all the paperwork for a British person to get married in Russia. Over 60 to stick a document to a notice board which tells people who happen to be in the embassy that you're getting married and over 60 to look your name up in the marriage register and write your name on a document which says you're not married.

Does anyone know a cheaper way?

DavidB
08-12-2010, 01:49
You may be able to get a Certificate of No Impediment from your local register office (in the UK), then have an Apostille attached to it (in the UK), and then have the document translated into Russian.

However, there is one caveat: ZAGS may be unfamiliar with the format of the certificate which is used locally in the UK. The certificate from the Consulate will be issued in Russian and in a format which ZAGS will have seen many times before.

ReallyGreatConcerts
08-12-2010, 10:51
then have an Apostille attached to it (in the UK), and then have the document translated into Russian

You can kiss goodbye to any saving there, then :( Unless you like in Milton Keynes. I would imagine you would need to have the Russian translation Notarised, too.

Gypsy
08-12-2010, 11:07
RGC is right. The cost of apostilling my education certificates came in at more than 120.
The Embassy has its own costs too so..............

If I were getting married I would not regard 120 as too high a price to pay.

Suck it up and pay it.

Ian G
08-12-2010, 11:43
When you look at the amount of money many Russians spend on weddings- limousines, wedding dress, compere, large number of guests in a restaurant etc, 120 pounds is minimal. (Personally I got married in Moscow relatively cheaply-no guests, just the two of us present in the registry office, we travelled by Metro and had a meal in a restaurant afterwards.)

SV1973a
08-12-2010, 12:27
When you look at the amount of money many Russians spend on weddings- limousines, wedding dress, compere, large number of guests in a restaurant etc, 120 pounds is minimal. (Personally I got married in Moscow relatively cheaply-no guests, just the two of us present in the registry office, we travelled by Metro and had a meal in a restaurant afterwards.)

I got married in Moscow, just her and me, her parents and a couple of her friends. We drove to ZAGS 4 in two old Volga`s. One of them broke down, and she had to come and sit with me in the car. It was a very hot and sunny summers day. The other guests took the metro. In the evening we had a meal in the appartment of her grandmother. About 20 guests I suppose.
But I guess, 120 Pounds is not a big deal...

sashadidi
09-12-2010, 11:30
Hi No way around it I had samething with getting a non imepediment to Marriage from the NZ embassy althoug they made changes for nothing, its just part of ths cost and they have you by the ba....s anyway
get it done and enjpy your wedding, my wedding cost me us$700 in New zealand 10 times that minimum!!! Have a great day

Andy B
09-12-2010, 12:12
I thought the whole process of getting married in Russia was relatively cheap and simple, certainly compared to what it would have been if we got married in the UK. What would be the cost of getting a fiance visa for her to get marred in the UK? Surely more?

Salix
09-12-2010, 12:51
I got married in Moscow. I'm a British citizen. The process of getting the necessary paperwork is simple and the embassy staff were polite and helpful. It's not much to pay considering the other option of getting everything done in the UK. The paperwork you get here is ready to go; no translations needed.
If you want to get married in a foreign country, you have to accept that you will need to do and pay more than you would in your native country.

TomSan
09-12-2010, 14:40
If I were getting married I would not regard 120 as too high a price to pay.

Suck it up and pay it.

I don't think that 120 is too high a price to pay for a wedding and of course the whole process is more expensive than that, the problem is that this part of the process is unreasonably priced. That's all.

My question was really about whether the Brit embassy has a monopoly on this paperwork and since it seems they do then of course they have no reason to charge a reasonable amount. Except common decency of course.

FatAndy
09-12-2010, 18:06
It looks adequate that British embassy (state agency) has a monopoly on the paperwork for the marriage of British state citizen, isn't it?

And, as every real monopoly, they put the price they want. And, to be honest, 6K rub for double set (Rus+Eng) of notarized docs doesn't look non-decent sum... for me. ;)

[Just checked for curiosity - we pay 200 rub for marriage registration in local ZAGS, but don't need notarised translation of course. And we pay the following ZAGS procedures rates in UK:
http://www.rus.rusemb.org.uk/zagstarif/ ]

My question was really about whether the Brit embassy has a monopoly on this paperwork and since it seems they do then of course they have no reason to charge a reasonable amount. Except common decency of course.

Dashinka2001
25-02-2011, 17:14
Its a matter of principle. They bone us every way. Its not the amount, its the fact that we have no recourse. I don't want to pay it either. And I won't.

Willy
25-02-2011, 17:32
Its a matter of principle. They bone us every way. Its not the amount, its the fact that we have no recourse. I don't want to pay it either. And I won't.

Los Vegas here we come?

Willy
27-02-2011, 23:58
You're marrying a Russian??? You are gonna end up paying SO much more! :queen:

Hey I know Russian women are the best wives, but do they make you pay some "your woman's better than ours tax" or something?

And do you get a "I got a china wife" discount?