PDA

View Full Version : Dual citizenship

bik015
30-11-2010, 13:26
Hello,
I have both Russian citizenship (passport expired long ago) and Finish citizenship.

Could you suggest pros/cons for going to work in Russia as either
(a) Russian citizen (Renewing Russian passport), or
(b) Finish citizen (applying for work permit using Finish passport).

Any additional suggestions/feedback would be kindly appreciated.

NZyeti
30-11-2010, 13:38
I was in the same boat. I have NZ citizenship, and Russian citizenship. My Russian passport had expired some time ago. I appled for a visa on my NZ passport, but was declined. Aparently, if you have Russian citizenship, you can travel to Russia only on a Russian passport. My advice would be to call the Russian embassy in Helsinki.

sashadidi
05-12-2010, 08:56
I was in the same boat. I have NZ citizenship, and Russian citizenship. My Russian passport had expired some time ago. I appled for a visa on my NZ passport, but was declined. Aparently, if you have Russian citizenship, you can travel to Russia only on a Russian passport. My advice would be to call the Russian embassy in Helsinki.

yes absolutely correct all ru citizens must travel to Russia on their Russian passport and not the foriegn passport, same thing happened to my wife

finnandcork
20-08-2012, 09:01
as opposed to in the US. We are looking at 3-4 months should we renew it at SF Russian consulate. We have heard that one can enter Russia with a letter from embassy and expired passport but then must apply for new passport. My wife is wondering how long it takes...in Russia.Hopefully, under 30 days.
Thank yoy

baoluo
20-08-2012, 17:46
Much better to go on Russian passport, not that you have much choice...but make sure you're not between the ages of 18 to 28 in case they put in military service!!