PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a place for some rock n roll?

manbitesdog
27-11-2010, 22:28
Hey everyone!

I've been in Moscow nearly a month now, and I've been to a few clubs but it's not really my scene. Anyone know anywhere with a good live music scene? I'm also looking for people who would be interested in going with me! I've only met a few people and am looking for pals! Sooooo.....rock n roll and friends? Next weekend maybe?

Trekkie58
27-11-2010, 22:50
Also a fan of Rock n Roll, Blues rock etc, and assumed there would be such places. I'll make this a mini project:11033: to find out if such a place exists and be in touch if I find it.

manbitesdog
28-11-2010, 00:22
I am sure there must be, but everyone I meet only wants to go to clubs and doesn't know where alternatives may be, other than just pubs and whatnot. I want some awesome live tunes!

guilly38
28-11-2010, 09:11
Hi,

Try this club: Krizis Zhanra
Live concerts on fridy and saturday nights

elisa2010
28-11-2010, 10:58
Hi!
I am also looking for places where I can listen (and dance) rock & roll.
I have been to the club Vermel but they played 3 rock & roll songs in 3 hours and to a wonderful pub where they played live rock & roll music. They said that they would try to organise it 1 a month, let's see! :)
The people who organised it was the Moscovite "English club"
http://www.englclub.ru/viewpage.php?page_id=4

If you find something else please let me know! :)

martpark
28-11-2010, 11:16
16 Tons at M Ul.1905 Goda has concerts, mostly rock, upstairs. Last time I went it was rockabilly night. BTW, the name of the bar comes from that old blues song by Merle Travis, which you can see on the steps as you go up.

manbitesdog
28-11-2010, 11:39
Some of these sound interesting. Anyone want to go with me?

Nobbynumbnuts
28-11-2010, 13:44
There used to be a bar/club behind Biblioteka Lenina with rock and roll bands playing live. There was also a nightclub upstairs at weekends.
I think it was called Rythm and Blues Cafe.

guilly38
28-11-2010, 16:22
Some of these sound interesting. Anyone want to go with me?

If you don't ask me to dance, why not in a couple of weeks.

There are also some blues clubs but never been there yet: B.B. King Club for example

Giggens
28-11-2010, 16:48
We went to punch and judy last night was really good live band :) How about next Saturday we get a group of us and go........... Anybody up for it?

tvadim133
28-11-2010, 17:01
As for clubs with rock n roll, there are some, with this genre of musisc:

1. Tochka (heavy meatal, pank, hard rock). You need to check what group is going to play when you would like to go, becuase they do not have exact genres playing there. Everything depends upon the band.

2. 16 tons - the same but they are more classic rock club;

3. Garbage (the russian name is Zapasnik and Garbage at the same time) - classic one.

4. Project Oggi (which is next ot Myasnitkaya) alternative rock mainly

There some more and more, but these are more or less interesting to me, at least!

v.sackville
28-11-2010, 17:26
yes, Vadim has outlined the major ones, which are certainly worth visiting.

you may also check this website http://www.heavymusic.ru/ and click on Afisha to see what's coming in the world of alternative music in moscow, though the site is in russian, if you find it difficult to find any certain information, just ask me, and i will help u with translation.

Suvannavira
28-11-2010, 19:41
Hi,

Try this club: Krizis Zhanra
Live concerts on fridy and saturday nights

I second that, on my first evening there the support band were playing Beatles covers. It fills up on Friday and Saturday nights around 11.30-12, being a restaurant before then.

Its is discreet, following the tram line on the road past the new coffee place on the corner, off ul Pakrovka, you take a little path to the right with a bug building site on the left until you come across the bouncers.

Enjoy,
Andrei.

v.sackville
28-11-2010, 19:48
I second that, on my first evening there the support band were playing Beatles covers. It fills up on Friday and Saturday nights around 11.30-12, being a restaurant before then.

Its is discreet, following the tram line on the road past the new coffee place on the corner, off ul Pakrovka, you take a little path to the right with a bug building site on the left until you come across the bouncers.

Enjoy,
Andrei.

Though I enjoy this place and its food, I'd rather say that the place is into brit rock, which is very-very popular nowadays with teenagers. I was there a coupla times on weekends staying over nite, the place was full of schoolgirls and boys, really, I mean, there was hardly any place to stay. At somewhat 3 am I was feeling rather hungry (yes, it happens w/girls too haha) and havin come up to the bartender I said: cheesecake with this and that topping + double cappucino with choco flavour + another Jameson plz. The partender was like: "what? well i can give u drinks only and no food, no cheesecakes or anything, besides we dont have any forks or spoons, the kitchen's closed" But as it usually happens with me, he was able to find a fork and a cheesecake. God, sometimes I love being a woman.

rainbotron
28-11-2010, 19:55
I'm definitely up for finding some more interesting music out there, Amy. I'm quite curious about this rockabilly night at 16 Tons that is mentioned in the thread.

Also, I quite like the sound of this little place:

http://www.waytorussia.net/moscow/club/daisymitchell-club.html

What do you mean when you say rock'n'roll? are you talking 50's or rock music generally?

tvadim133
28-11-2010, 20:47
What do you mean when you say rock'n'roll? are you talking 50's or rock music generally?

Rock Music in general!

Trekkie58
28-11-2010, 22:39
that place 16 tons sounds good, and it's only 10 mins walk to get to, sounds like something to look into next weekend

le.lwin
29-11-2010, 00:36
word has it that you guys are cooking up sth for next weekend.......:)

Dancing.....+....new people :) = mad fun :):AngelPray:

manbitesdog
29-11-2010, 09:57
I'm definitely up for finding some more interesting music out there, Amy. I'm quite curious about this rockabilly night at 16 Tons that is mentioned in the thread.

Also, I quite like the sound of this little place:

http://www.waytorussia.net/moscow/club/daisymitchell-club.html

I typically prefer 60's garage rock, but I am open to lots of music. I am also interested in this rockabilly night. We should make a night of it! Also, thanks to everyone else for the suggestions. Plans for Saturday?

Gypsy
29-11-2010, 11:52
I think the R n B cafe is still open - I went there last year to see a local blues band who were very good. Seen that band 3 times now, there, at Kompositor and at Punch & Judy last week.

Papas always has good bands playing - the 50's / Stray Cats style band betty Boop Project were there last week. Excellent.

I tend to float between P&J, Papas but Bourbon Street is good too.

If you contact Runaway on this site he organises bands for many venues - he'll put you on a mailing list and you'll be up to date.

happyyok
01-12-2010, 18:09
We are having a russian live music at New's Pub (Triumphal'naya ploschad', 1) on friday at around 8 and a very cool expat-russian party.
Band called U-Super.

Check it out and join me and my friends:))