PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Zaxxon
27-11-2010, 00:04
Hello everybody!

Let me introduce myself: I'm Roland, an early 30ties German from Munich who is moving to Moscow for work. I already worked in Moscow a couple of months last year, liked it and decided to move over for some "adventure". And, of course, to learn the language! I just did a 2 weeks course this summer but I guess this was just a first glimpse... Got to follow up over the Christmas break!

I very much appreciate all the useful information on this site! This is a great source of information. And I'm looking for locals as well as other fellow expats to show me the city life and to join in for weekend activities.

Oh right, talking about it: I would love to spend New Year's in Moscow. Any suggestions on where to go? As far as I heard from a couple of colleagues, the Red Square (my obvious -foreigner's- first choice) is probably to crowded...

Cheers,
Roland

pjw
27-11-2010, 11:30
Hello Roland and welcome to forum. You know all about it, how it's an excellent source of info and network of people, good mix of locals and expats, place to meet people etc etc. Have a nice time here. I wish you a good start or restart in Moscow. Sounds like you enjoy it. Me too.

A tip if you're looking for good Russian courses is BKC - Globus (http://www.bkcih-moscow.com/moscow/russian). It's the best value course I've found in Moscow. I'll be starting again in a few weeks. I like it there. Viel Erfolg beim lernen Roland. I think it's really important if we live in a foreign country to really push ourselves to always be learning the language, otherwise we look like fools and it's absolutely rude and a basic lack of respect and we, in turn, won't be respected. Yesterday I asked someone in the train if they were getting off at the next stop, maybe it sounds weird, but it's what people do here, when metro's crowded, so they can organise getting out etc. It was my first time I asked and I was quite proud. ;-) Viel Spass Roland!

tasel
27-11-2010, 20:55
Hi Roland, welcome to the expat forum and as well to Moscow. To be in Red square during new year would be great but will be much crowded and freezing. And you will never find a place to warm yourself.

FJT
27-11-2010, 21:10
Welcome to Moscow! You will definitely enjoy the rich city life here.
As for New year's plans, there a thread devoted to the question. Have a look at it.

Ruth123
27-11-2010, 23:12
Welcome, Roland! We are getting together for NY, you can join us if you'd like to:
http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=269088

Samodika
28-11-2010, 00:24
Hello everybody!

Let me introduce myself: I'm Roland, an early 30ties German from Munich who is moving to Moscow for work. I already worked in Moscow a couple of months last year, liked it and decided to move over for some "adventure". And, of course, to learn the language! I just did a 2 weeks course this summer but I guess this was just a first glimpse... Got to follow up over the Christmas break!

I very much appreciate all the useful information on this site! This is a great source of information. And I'm looking for locals as well as other fellow expats to show me the city life and to join in for weekend activities.

Oh right, talking about it: I would love to spend New Year's in Moscow. Any suggestions on where to go? As far as I heard from a couple of colleagues, the Red Square (my obvious -foreigner's- first choice) is probably to crowded...

Cheers,
Roland

Hallo! :)
Well, Red Square will really be TOO crowded and if it is cold by that time, it will be a bit difficult to warm up somewhere. If you like you can join us: http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=269088&page=4

Cheers!

Zaxxon
28-11-2010, 19:31
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the helpful hints!

I'll certainly check out that language school since I definitly want to learn the language! pjw, I totally agree with you. It would be a shame being a couple of years in Russia and not speaking the language. Congrats for your first question in Russian, I think I'm still a couple of months away from that...

And thanks to all who posted the links to the New Year's threads, sounds interesting! I'll certainly check that out.

Cheers,
Roland

Samodika
28-11-2010, 23:08
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the helpful hints!

I'll certainly check out that language school since I definitly want to learn the language! pjw, I totally agree with you. It would be a shame being a couple of years in Russia and not speaking the language. Congrats for your first question in Russian, I think I'm still a couple of months away from that...

And thanks to all who posted the links to the New Year's threads, sounds interesting! I'll certainly check that out.

Cheers,
Roland

You know, almost all of my pals/colleagues (from UK, Germany, US) were so keen to learn Russian when they just arrived a couple of years ago, even had classes regularly :) but then just gave up with grammar and say that the best way is practice - now they can easily communicate in bars, taxis, etc - don't know, maybe they are right...

Zaxxon
05-12-2010, 01:28
Samodika, I totally agree! The best way is to practice in real life. But to do that, you need at least a basis. And this is exactly my plan at the moment: understand the basic grammar and then learn the langunage in daily life. Let's see how it works out...

Concerning New Year's: than thank you all for your suggestions! At the moment I am stuck in Munich because my work visa is still work in progress. It should be ready next week they say but that's what they said already a month ago... Let's see if I make it for the big New Year's party.
Ruth: Real McCoy sounds great! I'm following your thread and will let you know if I can make it.

Cheers,
Roland