PDA

View Full Version : Getting an Actual Russian Driving License

kharaku
21-11-2010, 16:23
Hi

If you are in Russia on a Work Visa what does it take to get an actual Russian Driver's License?

(No I don't have one, so please don't side track with 'just register your foreign one'... )

Matt24
21-11-2010, 19:38
All you have to do is go through the formality of a two part driving test, present some evidence that you have received the minimum level of drivers ed and that you are fit to drive, get your I'd docs copied and notarised and bob is your uncle. The downside of having a Russian driving licence whilst visiting Russia on a visa is that your licence can only be valid for as long as your current visa ,
Licences cannot be extended or renewed when you get a new visa, and you have to go through the whole process - test and all....good luck

xp@
21-11-2010, 20:52
Licences cannot be extended or renewed when you get a new visa, and you have to go through the whole process - test and all....good luck

I renew my Russian license every year when I get my new visa. The process takes an hour or so, and does not require any testing.

Matt24
21-11-2010, 21:03
I renew my Russian license every year when I get my new visa. The process takes an hour or so, and does not require any testing.

oooh I feel about 11 times dumber than I did, our HR sent me out each year for re-application and retesting regular as clockwork for about 5 years until I got bored with the whole process - ho hum.

still happy ending, things ain't as bad as I suggested

Matt

SV1973a
22-11-2010, 09:15
oooh I feel about 11 times dumber than I did, our HR sent me out each year for re-application and retesting regular as clockwork for about 5 years until I got bored with the whole process - ho hum.

still happy ending, things ain't as bad as I suggested

Matt

Look at the bright side of it, Matt.
By now, you surely must have a better knowledge of all traffic regulations than the average GAI on the street ;-)

tgma
22-11-2010, 09:55
I just renewed my Russian driving license - I have TRP, and the woman there said that in fact I could just drive with a translation of my UK license. However, I worked hard to get my Russian license, and intend to get PRP, so I thought I would keep the Russian one active. It was pretty straightforward - you just need a copy of your passport, TRP stamp, TRP visa, old license, medspravka + copy, and that's about it. You have to go the foreigners' GAI on Kolomenksoye, which is a pain. Oh, and RUB 400, which needs to be paid at a Sberbank - you can get the details from the GAI website.

To get your Russian license the first time, assuming you have a foreign license, you need translated copies of your passport and license, and you need to pass a Russian theory test - meaning you have to get 18 out of 20 questions right in a computer exam. Takes a fair bit of work, and impossible if you don't speak Russian quite well. But this is Russia, and it's not a bad idea to know the rules of the road, and to obey them!

kharaku
22-11-2010, 13:58
Hi

If you are in Russia on a Work Visa what does it take to get an actual Russian Driver's License?

(No I don't have one, so please don't side track with 'just register your foreign one'... ) .

NLD
22-11-2010, 21:47
Has anyone actually gotten into any trouble with a foreign driver's license? I've been driving with a foreign (Dutch) license while here on a visa and now with my TRP, and every time I'm stopped everything's just fine. (I do drive a car with Dutch license plates though, not Russian ones.)

ValerieE
28-11-2010, 21:38
It's a real turmoil getting a Russian driver's license. Prepare for the worst.
Good luck!

web
02-12-2010, 18:55
what a big ammount of bullshit.......
1. you can use international drivers's permit if you will not be staying in Russia more then 60 days.
If you ARE staying over 60 days, by law you HAVE to apply for russian DL. Having a lot of traffinc inspectors not knowing about this tiny detail is another side of the ballpark coz as soon as they see int'l permit they don't want to hassle no more, they usually always think they might use more time to deal with the foreigners....downpiont is that by the Law you should apply for one.
2. If you have a valid drivers licence of your native country all you need to to is to apply for a russian one, show them notarized translation of you DL and passport and take a written test as said above. As a foreigner you can apply only at 1 GAI which deals with foreigners (in russian - Отделение обслуживания иностранных граждан)
as of today there are new tests that you can find at www.rambler.ru
They will not change until dec 2011 so if you pass them all online, you are more then sure to pass them with GAI.
If you do not speak/read/understand good russian, you will not pass. new tests are a kind of tricky in understanding even for a fluent speaker :)

3. Driving with the translation of your DL (not with you int'l driver's permit, the big grayish booklet) wll get you through a lot of ass pain and if you are not a fan of anal rape, i do not reccomend this. By the int'l road agreements Russia signed YOU CAN DO THIS but as I already said, local traffic police doesn't (or just don't want to) know about this and if you are driving with your DL and translation only, you are very likely to get busted if they stop you.

4. In my 16yrs of driving in russia, I was stopped less then 10 times and it was always when they set up a kind of a roadblock and just stop everyone and check their doc's. So if you drive by the rules, you don't have dark film on your windows, your car is clean and your licence plates are clearly visible
it is extremly unlikely that you will ever be stopped.

5. Online you can find at least a dozen of ex-cops who are willing to help or "help" with the gai. depends what you need :) but if you already have russian DL and you need to renew it after you renew your visa, you can either do it by yourself and spend a whole day in that zoo-like corridor with a bunch of sweaty and stinky guys or you can spend from 3000RUB to 5000RUB + 400RUB on taxes and do this in less then 30min.

6. When renewing your russian DL YOU DO NOT NEED TO TAKE TESTS AGAIN! Just keep your "driver's card" they give you after the 1st test just in case some smartguy tells you you need to pass it again. usually hes just trying to scam you but the card basically tell him to buzz off.
Your legal russian DL, valid or expired, can always be renewed if you have a valid visa.
I was out of the country when my DL expired a few years ago, then my visa did. when I got a new visa and finally found some free time to go to GAI to renew my DL the old was expired 6months ago. Filled the papers, payed the taxes and got a new one. They do no care WHEN it expired, they just care if it is legal or not.

7. The translations of your DL you can get online from www.IDLicense.com or idl-iaa.com etc etc etc are NOT INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS'S PERMIT and are NOT A VALID TRANSLATION that has to be with apostille ( Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents). Driving with this and your DL will likelly get you in trouble with the cops.

FatAndy
02-12-2010, 19:21
Moreover, Matt, you can now make lessons for novices!

"Not a bad addition to pension"(C) ;)

There is no waste knowledge, just its usage can be postponed... a bit:)
I've used my knowledge acquired on military entomology trainings (1985-1987) practically at July, 2008. As the result one nice girl, wife of my colleague, is alive and healthy.

Look at the bright side of it, Matt.
By now, you surely must have a better knowledge of all traffic regulations than the average GAI on the street ;-)

SV1973a
02-12-2010, 21:11
Thanks for this very useful post, web.
I decided to apply for a Russian DL. Since I will be living in this country for many more years to come, I thought it would not hurt me if I at least learned the traffic regulations in Russia. There are quite some differences between the traffic regulations in Russia and in my home country. (max speed 60km/h instead of 50km/h in the cities, parking on the left or right side of the street, turning 360degrees at traffic lights when you are allowed to make turns left, roundabouts,...)

What about the medical check ?

Do you know where the address of the GAI for foreign drivers is ?

Do you know about waiting times to take the exam, about possible repeats if you failed,... ?

what a big ammount of bullshit.......
1. you can use international drivers's permit if you will not be staying in Russia more then 60 days.
If you ARE staying over 60 days, by law you HAVE to apply for russian DL. Having a lot of traffinc inspectors not knowing about this tiny detail is another side of the ballpark coz as soon as they see int'l permit they don't want to hassle no more, they usually always think they might use more time to deal with the foreigners....downpiont is that by the Law you should apply for one.
2. If you have a valid drivers licence of your native country all you need to to is to apply for a russian one, show them notarized translation of you DL and passport and take a written test as said above. As a foreigner you can apply only at 1 GAI which deals with foreigners (in russian - Отделение обслуживания иностранных граждан)
as of today there are new tests that you can find at www.rambler.ru
They will not change until dec 2011 so if you pass them all online, you are more then sure to pass them with GAI.
If you do not speak/read/understand good russian, you will not pass. new tests are a kind of tricky in understanding even for a fluent speaker :)

3. Driving with the translation of your DL (not with you int'l driver's permit, the big grayish booklet) wll get you through a lot of ass pain and if you are not a fan of anal rape, i do not reccomend this. By the int'l road agreements Russia signed YOU CAN DO THIS but as I already said, local traffic police doesn't (or just don't want to) know about this and if you are driving with your DL and translation only, you are very likely to get busted if they stop you.

4. In my 16yrs of driving in russia, I was stopped less then 10 times and it was always when they set up a kind of a roadblock and just stop everyone and check their doc's. So if you drive by the rules, you don't have dark film on your windows, your car is clean and your licence plates are clearly visible
it is extremly unlikely that you will ever be stopped.

5. Online you can find at least a dozen of ex-cops who are willing to help or "help" with the gai. depends what you need :) but if you already have russian DL and you need to renew it after you renew your visa, you can either do it by yourself and spend a whole day in that zoo-like corridor with a bunch of sweaty and stinky guys or you can spend from 3000RUB to 5000RUB + 400RUB on taxes and do this in less then 30min.

6. When renewing your russian DL YOU DO NOT NEED TO TAKE TESTS AGAIN! Just keep your "driver's card" they give you after the 1st test just in case some smartguy tells you you need to pass it again. usually hes just trying to scam you but the card basically tell him to buzz off.
Your legal russian DL, valid or expired, can always be renewed if you have a valid visa.
I was out of the country when my DL expired a few years ago, then my visa did. when I got a new visa and finally found some free time to go to GAI to renew my DL the old was expired 6months ago. Filled the papers, payed the taxes and got a new one. They do no care WHEN it expired, they just care if it is legal or not.

7. The translations of your DL you can get online from www.IDLicense.com or idl-iaa.com etc etc etc are NOT INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS'S PERMIT and are NOT A VALID TRANSLATION that has to be with apostille ( Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents). Driving with this and your DL will likelly get you in trouble with the cops.

tgma
03-12-2010, 14:08
SV1973a - I am happy to help you, as you have helped me a great deal in the past!

The foreigners' GAI is in Kolomenskoye:

Адрес подразделения:
115477, г. Москва, ул. Деловая, д. 15 строение 1
Справочный телефон:
(499) 2181125
Телефон для предварительной записи:
(499) 2181124
График работы подразделения:

Вторник: с 09:00 до 20:00
Среда: с 09:00 до 18:00
Четверг: с 09:00 до 18:00
Пятница: с 09:00 до 18:00
Суббота: с 09:00 до 18:00

Hope this is legible - www.gibdd.ru, look for the section marked "Водителям"
Then look for the section on addresses, it will ask you to select your region (Moscow) and the last option under Moscow is the one for foreigners.

The medical check is very easy - there are loads of private clinics that will do this for you - cost me about RUB 800 in a clinic just off Pushkinskaya, just enter "справка для ГАИ" into Yandex and you will get them. Some of them will even deliver the spravka without even looking at you!

When I took the test, there was no waiting time, as there are not a lot of foreigners doing this. I think you might see a maximum of 10 people ahead of you in the queue to submit documents, and probably more like 5. You can retake the exam as many times as you like, can't remember if there's a fee to re-take, I did it on my second attempt, and I think there may have been a minimum time between test of 30 days, but I'm not sure.

Good luck, and send me a PM if you need more information!

SV1973a
05-12-2010, 14:51
Found some practice test at the GAI site :

http://www.gai.ru/PermisDeConduire/pdd/

Also, this site seems to be interesting :

http://3dinstructor.ru/

I took a practice test (without proper preparation) and scored only 9 out of 20.
I may have forgotten about the traffic regulation in my home country, but I do have the impression that many rules in Russia are different when compared to Europe.
Anyway, I still have got some study work to do. It is not an impossible task to learn the Russian traffic regulations.

nepolean77
29-12-2010, 01:46
so you do not have to do a driving test in the car is that correct??

SV1973a
29-12-2010, 09:45
so you do not have to do a driving test in the car is that correct??

If you have a valid foreign drivers licence, then you don`t need to take a driving test. You only need to answer 20 questions to test your knowledge of the traffic regulations.

Cubrilo
31-12-2010, 11:41
But you loose you original license (goes into your file) ;-)
And you need PRP also.

tgma
31-12-2010, 11:52
Cubrilo - this is NOT correct.

You don't lose your original license - but you do need to provide a notarised translation of your license, and your passport too (I think). And you do lose these copies.

No, you don't need PRP. You need PRP to get a full ten-year license, like what the Russians get. But you can get a Russian license on TRP or a 1 year visa, only it will only be valid for as long as your current registration. So, I have TRP, and 3 year's registration, so my license is only valid for the 3 years.

For this reason, the girl at the foreigner's GAI tried to dissuade me from renewing my Russian license, saying that it was fine to use a translation of my UK license, while on TRP. But I worked too hard for my Russian license to give it up now, plus I get the feeling that the Russian officers on the street are a bit more friendly when they see a foreigner with a Russian license. If they are out to screw you, they will still try to screw you, but if it's a routine check, you will have fewer problems.

EagleyeRC
05-05-2011, 18:34

Hello, was hoping to revisit the driver's license discussion. My wife called and talked to someone in Moscow police department and please keep in mind our understanding of the rules/laws variations in Russia from person to person, lack of understanding all the law/rules, etc... So, this person informed her that I (US citizen) could take the written exam with a translator interpreting the test for me. Sounds too good to be true? My wife (Russian citizen) currently residing in the US as we are preparing to retire and move to Russia, she was allowed to take her US driver's exam with a English/Russian dictionary. She also asked if I could do the same for exam in Russia and the answer was no. I cannot use a English/Russian dictionary but the answer was yes to bringing a translator to read the questions to me. Who is to say the translator will not give me the answers to the question? which is why this doesn't really pass the common sense test. Also, is this the only location in Moscow for foreigners to take the driver exam? If I will eventually reside in Yoshkar-Ola, hoping to take the exam there. We will be visiting in Sep and I will visit the local Russian equivalent DMV in Yoskar-Ola and post my findings here.

SV1973a
05-05-2011, 20:52
Hello, was hoping to revisit the driver's license discussion. My wife called and talked to someone in Moscow police department and please keep in mind our understanding of the rules/laws variations in Russia from person to person, lack of understanding all the law/rules, etc... So, this person informed her that I (US citizen) could take the written exam with a translator interpreting the test for me. Sounds too good to be true? My wife (Russian citizen) currently residing in the US as we are preparing to retire and move to Russia, she was allowed to take her US driver's exam with a English/Russian dictionary. She also asked if I could do the same for exam in Russia and the answer was no. I cannot use a English/Russian dictionary but the answer was yes to bringing a translator to read the questions to me. Who is to say the translator will not give me the answers to the question? which is why this doesn't really pass the common sense test. Also, is this the only location in Moscow for foreigners to take the driver exam? If I will eventually reside in Yoshkar-Ola, hoping to take the exam there. We will be visiting in Sep and I will visit the local Russian equivalent DMV in Yoskar-Ola and post my findings here.

But how can you prepare yourself for the test if you don`t master Russian ?
I am still planning on taking my theoretical test in the next couple of weeks.
There is only one location in Moscow I can go to.

tgma
06-05-2011, 13:16
EagleEye
I think you might have to take the test in the area where you are registered - when I renewed my license in Moscow, the girl needed to confirm my registration with the FMS where I was registered. I suspect that she might have rebuffed me if I had been registered outside Moscow - they are after a branch of the Moscow MVD, not a federal agency.
So you will probably have to find the office in Yoshkar Ola which deals with foreigners, I'm sure there is one.

EagleyeRC
06-05-2011, 18:51
But how can you prepare yourself for the test if you don`t master Russian ?

Supporting your point - anyone can understand basic signage (speed limits, stop, etc...) but if you can't read Russian, there could be a lot of guess work while at the wheel. You are right and I agree however, it is possible one could learn the rules by studying a translated version of them and driving carefully.

So you will probably have to find the office in Yoshkar Ola which deals with foreigners, I'm sure there is one.

There should be, totally agree. People settle around the country and the government has decentralized services.

Eh, just buy one. I got mine for 10,000 rubles.

I would pay 10,000 rubles to be able to use a translator and an additional 10,000 to the actual translator. Not making proclamations publicly beyond.

SV1973a
06-05-2011, 22:09
[QUOTE=EagleyeRC;838478]Supporting your point - anyone can understand basic signage (speed limits, stop, etc...) but if you can't read Russian, there could be a lot of guess work while at the wheel. You are right and I agree however, it is possible one could learn the rules by studying a translated version of them and driving carefully.

About 25% of the test questions are without a picture, but pure text. So are the answers. From my experience, usually the longest answer with the most detailled description is the correct answer.

There should be, totally agree. People settle around the country and the government has decentralized services.

http://www.gibdd.ru/online/exm/
Check out on the site where your office is. What is the region code for your place (Moscow is 77)?

I would pay 10,000 rubles to be able to use a translator and an additional 10,000 to the actual translator. Not making proclamations publicly beyond.
Is it legally allowed to use a translator or is this some arrangement that local GAI made with you. In that case you might as well ask one of the GAI guys to take the test for you...

EagleyeRC
07-05-2011, 16:43
my experience, usually the longest answer with the most detailled description is the correct answer.

this knowledge is money! thanks!

http://www.gibdd.ru/online/exm/
What is the region code for your place?

Aha, Mari-El is 12, thanks again.

might as well ask one of the GAI guys to take the test for you...

case and point SV1973, gotta master the language sooner rather than later, truly appreciate the excellent advice.

sis
28-06-2011, 14:12
I would like to clear up a few issues in regard to drivers licences, who needs a Russian drivers licence, and who can drive with a copy of their own licence. I would like to point out however that this is the law, how things are actually done may differ from how things should be done.

The first question that needs to be cleared up before deciding on how to drive in Russia is your status in Russia: According to Mr Putin, the former president, who signed a law about the rights of foreigners to live in Russia (Федеральный закон О правовом положении иностранных граждан в РФ)

You are considered to be
“ Permanently living in Russia” if you have a “Permanent Residence Permit”
“temporarily living in Russia” if you have a “Temporary residence permit”
“temporarily arriving in Russia” if you have a different type of visa (Work, tourist, student etc)

3. Driving with the translation of your DL (not with you int'l driver's permit, the big grayish booklet) wll get you through a lot of ass pain and if you are not a fan of anal rape, i do not reccomend this.

If you want to drive around in a Lada or a Car, you must have a licence. Mr Putin signed another law called the “law of doing the driving tests and giving out driving licences” (Правила сдачи квалификационных экзаменов и выдачи водительских Удостоверений)

According to point 44 of this law, you can drive a car with a “translated notarised copy of your foreign licence” or these international licences, if you are “temporarily ariving in Russia.” So you should not have problems with anal rape from the traffic police (Полицейских Инспекторов Дорожного Регулирования - П.И.Д.Р.).

Point 46 of this law forbids the changing foreign licence to Russian driving licences for people “temporarily arriving in Russia.” So the only way to drive is to have a “translated notarised copy of your foreign licence” or these international licences, or if you don’t have a licence do the driving test, driving lessons, and driving test in Russia.

According to point 48 of the law on driving licences, you MUST get a Russian drivers licence if you are “Permanently living in Russia.” “Permanently living in Russia” means having a “Permanent Residence Permit.” If you live one hundred years in Russia on a “Temporary residence permit” or a tourist visa, you are not classified as “Permanently living in Russia” and you do not have to get a Russian licence. As I pointed out above, Russian licence should only be given to people with a “Permanent Residence Permit,” Russians, or people who do not have foreign licences.

-----
The following might be helpful:

РОССИЙСКАЯ ФЕДЕРАЦИЯ ФЕДЕРАЛЬНЫЙ ЗАКОН О ПРАВОВОМ ПОЛОЖЕНИИ ИНОСТРАННЫХ ГРАЖДАН В РОССИЙСКОЙ ФЕДЕРАЦИИ

временно пребывающий в Российской Федерации иностранный гражданин - лицо, прибывшее в Российскую Федерацию на основании визы или в порядке, не требующем получения визы, и получившее миграционную карту, но не имеющее вида на жительство или разрешения на временное проживание;
временно проживающий в Российской Федерации иностранный гражданин - лицо, получившее разрешение на временное проживание;
постоянно проживающий в Российской Федерации иностранный гражданин - лицо, получившее вид на жительство;

Правила сдачи квалификационных экзаменов и выдачи Водительского Удостоверения
44. В Российской Федерации лица, временно пребывающие на ее территории,
имеют право управлять транспортными средствами при наличии
международного или иностранного национального водительского
удостоверения, соответствующего требованиям Конвенции о дорожном
движении 1968 года, записи в котором произведены или продублированы
буквами латинского алфавита.

Иностранные национальные водительские удостоверения, не
соответствующие требованиям указанной Конвенции, должны иметь
заверенный в установленном порядке перевод на русский язык.

48. Иностранное национальное водительское удостоверение лица,
переехавшего на постоянное жительство в Российскую Федерацию, на
территории Российской Федерации считается недействительным по истечении
60 дней с даты получения в органах внутренних дел Российской Федерации
разрешения на постоянное проживание в Российской Федерации или с даты
въезда на территорию Российской Федерации, если разрешение на
постоянное проживание было получено в дипломатическом
представительстве либо консульском учреждении Российской Федерации в
иностранном государстве. Замена таких удостоверений производится в
порядке п.40 настоящих правил.

46. Лицам, временно пребывающим на территории Российской Федерации,
замена их иностранных национальных водительских удостоверений на
российские водительские удостоверения, а также выдача им российских
водительских удостоверений взамен утраченных (похищенных) иностранных
национальных водительских удостоверений не производится, если иное не
предусмотрено международными договорами Российской Федерации.

Matvisin
23-08-2011, 00:24
I have "one year multy entry working visa" and working permit. Does this means that I don't need to take russian exam and I can drive with notarized translation of my DL? Thank you in advance!

SV1973a
23-08-2011, 00:41
I have "one year multy entry working visa" and working permit. Does this means that I don't need to take russian exam and I can drive with notarized translation of my DL? Thank you in advance!

Yes.

anodyne
07-09-2011, 13:56
Just to follow up on this: I am here on a three-year work visa and work permit, but I don't have either a temporary or permanent residence permit. Does this mean I am not eligible to get a Russian driver's license?

(My problem is that my home country license has expired and since I don't have a legal residence/address there, I have no way to get a home country license.)

tgma
08-09-2011, 12:02
Anodyne
Yes, you are eligible for a Russian driver's license, but it will only be valid until the expiry of your registration, i.e. the end of your three year work visa.
BUT - I'm pretty sure that they won't give you a Russian license if your foreign license is not valid - could be wrong on this, as in principle your posession of a license shows that you have passed a foreign driving test. I guess there is no harm in trying - all you lose is the half day it takes to trek to the foreigners' GAI. You'll need a notarised translation of your drivers' license and passport, and copies of your visa and registration and probably work permit, too. And a health spravka, and probably some photographs - check the foreigners' GAI site.

caroo
10-09-2011, 12:06
I've heard horror stories from friends trying to get their licenses. Be ready to slip the examiner some cash, else you might find yourself being failed even if you've done a stellar job.

mishasibirsk
16-09-2011, 18:43
sis, 28.6.11, pointed out that "permanent" residents (that's me) cannot drive on a foreign licence. Paragraph 48 of the cited codex indicates that a foreign licence becomes ineffective in Russia beyond 60 days after grant of VNZh. Does that mean ineffective just to drive with or totally useless for all purposes.

I was pleased to discover on this thread that, with a foreign licence, you only need to do a written test to get a Russian licence. But does this "ineffective" mean that for us VNZhniki, it's back to the full driving test? Ne day bog!

There was a reference in par. 48 to par. 40. Anyone know what that says? Anyone, perhaps more to the point, had the experience of getting a Russian licence while on VNZh, and with (a) prosrochennymi foreign licence? Did you have to take the driving test?

Oh no, don't tell me: anyone with half a brain gets that out of the way before getting VNZh.

SV1973a
16-09-2011, 19:04
sis, 28.6.11, pointed out that "permanent" residents (that's me) cannot drive on a foreign licence. Paragraph 48 of the cited codex indicates that a foreign licence becomes ineffective in Russia beyond 60 days after grant of VNZh. Does that mean ineffective just to drive with or totally useless for all purposes.

I was pleased to discover on this thread that, with a foreign licence, you only need to do a written test to get a Russian licence. But does this "ineffective" mean that for us VNZhniki, it's back to the full driving test? Ne day bog!

There was a reference in par. 48 to par. 40. Anyone know what that says? Anyone, perhaps more to the point, had the experience of getting a Russian licence while on VNZh, and with (a) prosrochennymi foreign licence? Did you have to take the driving test?

Oh no, don't tell me: anyone with half a brain gets that out of the way before getting VNZh.

I took the written exam (computer) about 3 months after I was granted PRP.
However, my foreign drivers license was valid (there is no expiry date on our DLs)...
Possibly with an expired foreign license they will require that you take all tests, including the driving on the road.
If I were you I would just go and take the computer test. This is anyhow the first step if you want to get a Russian DL.
Then there are two possibilities ; either they don`t mind that the foreign DL has expired, and then you can immediately get your Russian DL.
If they do mind, you have to take the practical test again as well.

mishasibirsk
20-09-2011, 11:29
Thanks, that sounds promising. My licence hasn't expired. I was just worried from what sis wrote and cited, that gaining vid might have rendered my foreign licence invalid for all purposes in Russia. From what you say, it should be at least valid for the purpose of getting a Russian licence, though apparently not to drive with.

Anyway, the usual rule in Russia is that the law has meaning only in the light of the way the local chinovniki interpret it. I would not be at all surprised to learn that in some locations they are happy with vidniki to continue driving with their foreign licence, and in other places the same item isn't good for anything. I'll have to find out when I get back, but I am more optimistic now.