PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Eggs

Kokomo
28-06-2007, 11:13
here's a recipe I found, and wonder, why would anyone need a recipe for boiling eggs.

anyway, here's a topic to discuss, how do you boil your eggs?
and how safe is it to eat them? whats their shelf life? thats what Im interested in finding out actually.

--------------
Hard Boiled Eggs, Cold Water Method
Hard boiled eggs are usefull for deviled eggs, cobb salad, spinache salad, etc. Easy to pack for sack lunches.

Ingredients
6 Fresh Eggs

Preparation
Place eggs in a heavy sauce pan, large enough for eggs to have "elbow room." Cover with enough cold water to come at least an inch above the eggs.

Heat rapidly to boiling. [watch closely]

Remove from heat and cover tightly.

Let stand 20 to 24 minutes. [I use 22 minutes for jumbo eggs.] Immediately cool eggs to prevent further cooking. [I put in strainer and run cold water over them, then set in a bowl of icy water.]

Tap eggs to crack shell. Roll egg between hangds to loosen shell, then peel. Hold egg under cold running water to help peel.

Store in refrigerator. I don't shell until I plan to use them.

Cook's Notes
[from the food network}: Eggs are one of nature's almost perfect foods: the only nutrient they lack is Vitamin C. Aside from the convenience of long storage (they'll keep for a month in a refrigerator), they can be prepared tens, if not hundreds, of ways. Two quick and simple ways are hard- and soft-boiling. When done, hard-boiled eggs have firm, opaque whites and solid, pale lemon-yellow yolks; soft-boiled eggs have lightly congealed, opaque whites, and yolks which are a deeper yellow--almost orange in some cases--and are mostly liquid. How you use your eggs is up to you (and perhaps the subject of another 2torial). From the traditional egg salad and soft-boiled-eggs-on-toast favorites, the varieties are endless. Hard-boiled eggs travel well, and are a great choice for an energizing and nutritious snack for those without much time to eat. Health note: Salmonella is a bacteria that can live in raw eggs. Once ingested, this bacteria produces a nasty, occasionally fatal form of food poisoning, and is best avoided. (So lay off those raw egg drink recipes you've been dreaming of!) Soft-boiled eggs that have no portions of clear egg white remaining are safe to eat, since their temperature rises above the death point of salmonella bacteria: 140 degrees F/ 60 degrees C. To be extra safe, those who have poor health, are very old, or are pregnant, should avoid soft-boiled eggs. Before you begin The most important detail to observe is the temperature of the eggs. If you've just removed them from a refrigerator, you cook them differently than if the eggs have had a chance to warm up to room temperature. Another detail is the eggs themselves, with size the most obvious consideration. The recipes below list different times according to varying sizes. A final consideration, perhaps less obvious, is the way in which the eggs were produced. In many modern chicken farms, a chicken lives a fairly miserable life: it stays indoors in a warehouse-type of building, in a small wire cage with several other chickens, for virtually all of its life. Some farms, however, only produce eggs laid only by free-range chickens. These are chickens that are free to roam about uncaged, and peck at the ground for food (as their instinct tells them to) and in some cases go outside, walk on grass and dirt and see the sky. And it's certainly possible that a happier chicken could lay a better tasting egg.

Benedikt
28-06-2007, 18:17
the first one is 'how to boil water without burning the pot'..
now about the eggs

hardboiled 10 minutes, eggs should not be out from the refridgerator into boiling water, they will crack ( remember their is an air'sack' at the one ned of the egg, when the egg goes into hot water quickly, the air expands, and the shell cracks..)
still i do not recommend to start boiling eggs by putting them in cold water. if you cook them to long the yellow will start turning green...
soft boiled eggs (for breakfast) 3-5 minutes. are they safe to eat? if eggs are bought at he supermarket /shop they should be.
and inbetween? depends on your taste,5-7 minutes, the whites will be firm but the yolk from creamy to fairly firm soft...
but still. in russia there is a law (and not a to bad one) that all eggs used in a kitchen / pastry are to be washed 3 times.
first with a 1% chlorine solution and let them soak for 15 minutes, than in (food) soda solution and at last wash them in cold, fresh water.that will kill off any germs and render the eggs safe for further use.

Kokomo
28-06-2007, 20:14
good.

now the trick question, how long can boiled eggs last in a fridge?

J.D.
28-06-2007, 21:03
I know a lot of restaraunts that could use a recipe for boiling eggs. In the U.S. I would often order hard boiled eggs only to have them arrive with goopy yolks. Sometimes the waitress would say 'they're not on the menu' and then I'd point on the menu where it would say "eggs any style".

I sent my eggs back twice on one occassion and then the waitress came and asked me how long I wanted them boiled. I said I didn't know how long it took to boil hard boiled eggs but I would think that it would be less than the 30 minutes I had already waited. She returned 3 minutes later with hard boiled eggs. And they were even already peeled. The whites were warm but rubbery and the yolks, while definitely hard boiled, were cold. I guess they had taken them from the salad bar and dipped them in boiling water.

Benedikt
28-06-2007, 21:28
good.

now the trick question, how long can boiled eggs last in a fridge?
and you can keep them for 3-4 days.

Kokomo
28-06-2007, 22:15
and you can keep them for 3-4 days.

so then, how is it that the chinese have 100 yr old eggs? edible?

Surok
28-06-2007, 22:18
Yup!

Clean32
29-06-2007, 02:38

doint know
But my grandmother would rub oil lard vasaline on uncooked eggs and keep them for over a year. but then thay were only ever hard boiled or used for cooking never soft boiled or poched

Benedikt
29-06-2007, 08:49
they preserve eggs in a mixture of ash, salt, tea leaves and lime (not the 'Tequila' lime but the stuff you whitewash walls..)
and there is also a method that utilised horses /cows urine...
a more up to date version you can find here...
http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20011114.html
my grandmother used to preserve (raw) eggs in a very weak lime solution,('Wasserglas' she called the solution) they kept during winter when the chickens did not lay eggs. but we never ate them for breakfast, fried eggs were at that time not on the menu anyway.. but the were used only hard boiled or for baking.

Clean32
04-11-2007, 23:33
LOL thats something that came as a suprise to me, when i first got here, no one ( that i came across ) could poche an egg, let along do toast LOL