25-06-2007, 21:53
looking for a decent value for money hotel in st petes 10-15 july

any recommendation/advice?

would an a/c room be required?

something preferably centrally located, for a elderly foreign couple

thanks

natalia_apple
26-06-2007, 00:39
not perfect but quite ok is Astoria/Angleterre, though it is pricey. It also has a buffet breakfast which cost about 24 dollars a couple of years ago, don't know how much it costs now, sorry. There are many tourists in that hotel

Packman
26-06-2007, 00:48
I've stayed at Nevsky 90 and Nevsky 91 both are a good value and nice small hotels in the western european sense.

http://www.hon.ru/

Yuzov
26-06-2007, 08:07
not perfect but quite ok is Astoria/Angleterre, though it is pricey. It also has a buffet breakfast which cost about 24 dollars a couple of years ago, don't know how much it costs now, sorry. There are many tourists in that hotel

In August 2005 I was one of those tourists in the Angleterre: wonderful location, very nice breakfast buffet, and ice-cold air conditioning. My room (a standard, admittedly) was smallish and a little oddly - or oldly - furnished. Overall a great experience but I don't know whether I'd pay my own money to stay there.

Last summer I stayed at the Radisson SAS. A bit farther down Nevsky prospect and a little cramped (again a standard room) but worth every dime my employer paid for it. Breakfast buffet was a disappointment. Was happy enough spending my employer's money there, but would not pay my own money to stay there.

Wednesday I check in at the Petro Palace, which is right down Malaya Morskaya from the Angleterre/Astoria. I got an excellent rate by searching the St.Petersburg section of tripadvisor.com - I highly recommend checking it out. You can also get good answers there from locals who know the town.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g298507-St_Petersburg_North_West_Russia-Vacations.html

pepsilon
26-06-2007, 12:52
thanks for all the responses. much appreciate them.

would air conditioning be essential in a room one takes in july?

or can one take one of those mini hotels w/o a/c?

packman, your rooms in nevsky 90/91...were they a/c?
kind rgds

Packman
26-06-2007, 17:06
thanks for all the responses. much appreciate them.

would air conditioning be essential in a room one takes in july?

or can one take one of those mini hotels w/o a/c?

packman, your rooms in nevsky 90/91...were they a/c?
kind rgds

doubtful you ever need ac in spb...didn't stay there in the summer and don't know exactly. if at all in doubt get a room away with window away from nevsky, cause opening the window might be loud...

Surok
26-06-2007, 17:11
I stayed in a hostel in July 95, and it was very very hot and sticky.

I would recommend a/c.

Bex
26-06-2007, 23:03
You may well need a/c, especially as it's not advisable to open the windows at night in St. P unless they have a mosquito net on them.